IGNORED

January Plans

Romey 1878

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

You buy as well I did say we need 2-3 and I did say Gomes and Gylfi need to improve and if they can't then they go.

Seriously are you happy with our midfield not so much the individuals in it but the sum of its parts?

No I’m not. I’m really frustrated with the whole team at the moment. I have no idea what the answer is, I just know that we need something, be it a new signing, change in tactics or something else.

16 hours ago, Shukes said:

No it won’t turn us around, but it will improve us. You have to improve your team one step at a time and our most needed position right now is a striker. 

We could change our whole midfield, but if we haven’t got anyone to pop it into the net, it’s all for nothing. 

A decent striker will be the best addition at the moment. Yes if we can get four new players in great, but I don’t think that’s the case. 

Look at yesterday for example. The ball was in their penalty area so many times, not just their last third but the penalty area....and we still passed it as we don’t have a player that will just hit the ball. We create enough in the last third to score goals.... we just don’t shoot enough.

I would give DCL that chance for the rest of the season, if not, then we need to buy. 

Richarlison isn'tt doing a great job up top but he's not exactly missing sitters every week. We're not creating that much and at the other end we're giving away too many easy chances.

Attacking wise, during a game I find myself more likely to wonder have we even had a shot on target yet than moan we've missed a sitter. To me that indicates the midfield aren't creative enough opposed to the striker not being good enough. 

Prioritising positions that we need addressing most it's Gana and Sigurdssen I'd be looking to swap first, Coleman needs replacing as well but you can get away carrying a full back whereas games are won and lost in midfield. We managed 10 years without a decent striker under Moyes but we had a much stronger core. 

Let's be honest here - when you read through what people want, there's no quick fix. Striker, CM (as many as 3?), RB, competition for the wingers, giving the youngsters time to mature, strength in depth generally... And I'm still amazed no one mentions the centre backs because a. three isn'tt enough cover anyway and B. we're missing a leader, C. Zouma is only on loan. 

It's 21st January. It would right now be a nice surprise if we addressed any of the above this window. Its a huge, huge job. A decent cup run to lift spirits round the place is the best we can hope for imo this season, I'm not being defeatist I just think there are three or four teams better than us in the league even when you take the top 6 out.

10 hours ago, nogs said:

Let's be honest here - when you read through what people want, there's no quick fix. Striker, CM (as many as 3?), RB, competition for the wingers, giving the youngsters time to mature, strength in depth generally... And I'm still amazed no one mentions the centre backs because a. three isn'ttt enough cover anyway and B. we're missing a leader, C. Zouma is only on loan. 

It's 21st January. It would right now be a nice surprise if we addressed any of the above this window. Its a huge, huge job. A decent cup run to lift spirits round the place is the best we can hope for imo this season, I'm not being defeatist I just think there are three or four teams better than us in the league even when you take the top 6 out.

I agree with the teams better than us and Silva as reiterated that there will be no new signings this January window, based on we won’t be in the relegation zone or shouldn’t be I rather wait for the summer to sign players that we have targeted than chase players now just because we feel we need to sign someone. 

On 18/01/2019 at 21:04, c1982 said:

Wages is a massive issue. £250k is going on Sandro and Schneiderlin every week. In reality, we’re probably wasting the best part of £1m every week on players who simply don’t contribute. Fees for players isn’t the issue, it’s the wages we need to sort out.

Here’s a massive part of the problem...

Looking forward to summer plans... It's clear there has to be a massive clear out. Not many of the players out on loan have a future at the club, you can add Schneiderlin and Tosun to that list too and I think we have to face up to facts and cut our losses on McCarthy. With Jags and Baines already at the end it will mean massive disruption, so much so that I'd probably stick with Coleman and Walcott as squad players just to keep some sort of balance in terms on continuity. 

That would also leave us with a hugely threadbare squad. The priorities have to be through the spine of the team - a proper goalscorer, a playmaker and a genuine leader at CB. I think we need to spend big money on three players in those positions because we're desperate for quality and leadership. 

Then it will be a case of what Brands is capable of digging out young, hungry rough diamonds with the energy and technical ability to play the way Silva wants to play. I think a lot will depend on the situations with Onyekuru and Vlasic, but I'd say a third striker, a versatile midfielder and full back are the priorities. 

9 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Yep. But based on my post above I can see us needing £150m to £200m just to fill some of the holes a clear out would create. Gomes and Zouma aren't our players and in my mind Tosun should be on that list. 

36 minutes ago, nogs said:

Yep. But based on my post above I can see us needing £150m to £200m just to fill some of the holes a clear out would create. Gomes and Zouma aren't our players and in my mind Tosun should be on that list. 

Walcott is the only one who’s played a significant part this season. From the list, only Walcott needs replacing but even then, we’ve got Onekyru (if he can get a permit - I won’t be too worried about spelling his name until then) and Vlasic (who I’d like to see given another chance). We obviously need better players in many positions but won’t miss any on the list and I agree about Tosun.

Do we pay the wages of Niasse, Williams, Mirallas, Ramírez, Martina, Bešić, Garbutt and Vlašić though as they're all out on loan?

That's £355k less if we're not so somewhat misleading; though obviously we don't know the details of the deals so we may well still be paying a proportion.

14 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Do we pay the wages of Niasse, Williams, Mirallas, Ramírez, Martina, Bešić, Garbutt and Vlašić though as they're all out on loan?

That's £355k less if we're not so somewhat misleading; though obviously we don't know the details of the deals so we may well still be paying a proportion.

Probably a percentage - we’re probably still paying Rooney in reality.

12 hours ago, c1982 said:

Walcott is the only one who’s played a significant part this season. From the list, only Walcott needs replacing but even then, we’ve got Onekyru (if he can get a permit - I won’t be too worried about spelling his name until then) and Vlasic (who I’d like to see given another chance). We obviously need better players in many positions but won’t miss any on the list and I agree about Tosun.

The squad is completely threadbare. The team is bang out of form but there is no one to bring in to make a difference, because of the number of players who have been identified as not up to the mark and farmed out on loan. It's not a case of missing all of those players, it's a case of needing to replace a good half of them to have any strength in depth. 

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

Vincent Janssen available for 15m, i know @hafnia was a big fan of his when spurs bought him.  he was a flop at spurs and at Leeds, i'm surprised they don't just release him.

Thought Haf was a big fan of him because he wasn't Rom? :P

He was awful the few times I saw him, definitely not what we need.

19 hours ago, c1982 said:

Fat Sam was on talk sport this morning saying how the wages at Everton we’re not that bad and nowhere near the top six. Also stated that when he was there bill and farad would know back players if they didn’t rate them. Obviously it’s faraday money but seems strange they would do that if the manager wants him

Villa is paying 50% of Bolasie wages

Sociedad is paying 75% of Sandro wages

Stoke is paying 50% of Williams wages and 100% of Cuco wages

Grasshoppers are paying around 60% of Tarashaj wages

Vlasic, Mirallas, Mo are paid in full buy their loaning clubs.

I'm not sure about the Niasse deal, and we pay Garbutt for his loan spell at Oxford. 

Overall not bad, considering how awful most of these players are. I still believe Vlasic and Mo have something to offer here and I'm willing to see them go only if there's a reasonable offer.

26 minutes ago, Haiku said:

I'm not sure about the Niasse deal, and we pay Garbutt for his loan spell at Oxford. 

Overall not bad, considering how awful most of these players are. I still believe Vlasic and Mo have something to offer here and I'm willing to see them go only if there's a reasonable offer.

further proof Brands is a miracle worker.  

1 hour ago, Haiku said:

Doubt Villa will still be paying Bolasie after he requested his return from loan.!

2 hours ago, Haiku said:

Source of this info is?? 

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Vincent Janssen available for 15m, i know @hafnia was a big fan of his when spurs bought him.  he was a flop at spurs and at Leeds, i'm surprised they don't just release him.

He was doing well on loan then got injured... but he wasn't at Leeds he was at fenerbache. 

Don't think many strikers are gonna get ahead of Kane at Spurs. So I'm not sure how we have established how shit he is... I recall you calling him a Dutch Naismith.  Quite a compliment in my book. 

On 21/01/2019 at 09:23, nogs said:

Let's be honest here - when you read through what people want, there's no quick fix. Striker, CM (as many as 3?), RB, competition for the wingers, giving the youngsters time to mature, strength in depth generally... And I'm still amazed no one mentions the centre backs because a. three isn'ttt enough cover anyway and B. we're missing a leader, C. Zouma is only on loan. 

This is a great point albeit I feel a bit depressed when I read it!

Its madness that we have had so many changes over the last 3 or 4 years and yet we still dont have a solid core of players. By now we should only need one or two players to strengthen, not half a team. I do think that we have to make decisions for the future so that we dont go out and buy that many players because it wont help us. We need to try and start building some sort of continuity. You have to think that 4 of that back 5 will be fine for a couple of years if Mina settles, then you have plenty of wide players who you could start and be happy enough with but the midfield is weak when Gomes isn'tt firing and we have no depth. Similar comments apply to the striker.

Then you look at behind those players to the squad. Who are the guys you can stick in and rely on?

48 minutes ago, hafnia said:

He was doing well on loan then got injured... but he wasn't at Leeds he was at fenerbache. 

Don't think many strikers are gonna get ahead of Kane at Spurs. So I'm not sure how we have established how shit he is... I recall you calling him a Dutch Naismith.  Quite a compliment in my book. 

i'd have naismith back here in a heartbeat.  yeah i've not followed janssen at all (as evidenced by me thinking he went to Leeds) and wasn't sure if it was worth 15m or not.  I'm sure Brands is familiar since he's dutch.