IGNORED

Alex Iwobi

1 hour ago, Gwlad all over said:

Said before I was a critic. Boy has he turned round, thanks to friends, mental coach and Frank. Hero. 

Man being paid £50,000 a week appears to be earning it rather than stealing it:celebrate:.

I'm as happy as anyone with his upturn but where was he before?

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Based on his form for the past 12 months he is well worth that IMO

Take your point given where the game is at now, but imo nobody is worth £3.65m a year to kick a ball around; it's gone beyond ridiculous, especially at a time when a lot of fans (who the game is supposed to be about) can't afford to put their heating on.

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

70K apparently.

As Mike said, it’s insane how inflated footballers wages are these day’s but with how the market it I think 70k is a pretty fair deal. I’m a big Iwobi fan, especially with how he has turned it around here but 100K is daft.

He deserves the contract and pay bump. Given I think he is a total confidence player, I hope this recognition from the club helps him find another level.

2 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Based on his form for the past 12 months he is well worth that IMO

46 minutes ago, Btay said:

As Mike said, it’s insane how inflated footballers wages are these day’s but with how the market it I think 70k is a pretty fair deal. I’m a big Iwobi fan, especially with how he has turned it around here but 100K is daft.

He deserves the contract and pay bump. Given I think he is a total confidence player, I hope this recognition from the club helps him find another level.

I’m saying he’s on 70K now.

17 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I’m saying he’s on 70K now.

If he was getting a raise to 70K then that would make more sense, but to me it seems like he's been overpaid most of his time here now. I don't know. I get the reasoning behind the bump, but we can't just keep overpaying players. 

15 hours ago, Palfy said:

Give him £120k if he doesn't repay back that investment the club could always put the ticket prices up. 

If he’s on £70k now and he goes to £100k, that’s approx £1.5m.

If 25,000 of us pay an extra £60 on our season tickets that will cover the cost of Alex’s pay rise. So the club can afford this new contract, no problem!!

He better put in some blindingly good performances next season.

13 hours ago, Sibdane said:

If he was getting a raise to 70K then that would make more sense, but to me it seems like he's been overpaid most of his time here now. I don't know. I get the reasoning behind the bump, but we can't just keep overpaying players. 

I agree. I’m sure if Everton said to him we will extend his contract for another three years, on the same money, he isn’t going to be running for the exit. 

3 hours ago, StevO said:

If he’s on £70k now and he goes to £100k, that’s approx £1.5m.

If 25,000 of us pay an extra £60 on our season tickets that will cover the cost of Alex’s pay rise. So the club can afford this new contract, no problem!!

He better put in some blindingly good performances next season.

A no brainer then 😉

8 hours ago, Matt said:

If you don't reward improvement, you lose the player. Giving him wages that represent his value to the team is just good sense. 

Do you think we would lose this particular player if he wasn’t given 40% pay rise?

I really don’t think Iwobi would be looking to leave. He’s not stupid, he knows he’s only performed well in a blue shirt for less than 12 months so far. Extend his contract by all means, but such a hike doesn’t seem right to me. The other players we have who are on more than that are the ones people want out the door, like Mina, Keane, Gomes.

I think we can offer players good contracts without making such big jumps, if the rumoured figures are to be believed. 

16 minutes ago, StevO said:

Do you think we would lose this particular player if he wasn’t given 40% pay rise?

I really don’t think Iwobi would be looking to leave. He’s not stupid, he knows he’s only performed well in a blue shirt for less than 12 months so far. Extend his contract by all means, but such a hike doesn’t seem right to me. The other players we have who are on more than that are the ones people want out the door, like Mina, Keane, Gomes.

I think we can offer players good contracts without making such big jumps, if the rumoured figures are to be believed. 

I dunno, I imagine that after all the shit he took in the previous two seasons, he might consider his options!

6 hours ago, StevO said:

Knowing that he's coming to the end of his contract in 18 months, if he doesn't like what he's offered he runs his contract down and gets a bigger payday elsewhere. Based on his recent improved form, he will have teams willing to pay 100k easy. 

9 hours ago, Matt said:

Knowing that he's coming to the end of his contract in 18 months, if he doesn't like what he's offered he runs his contract down and gets a bigger payday elsewhere. Based on his recent improved form, he will have teams willing to pay 100k easy. 

I agree, if he walks on a free I can see him quite easily getting a 3-4 year contract on 5-6 million a year,  and a signing on fee just to put the icing on the cake. That would turn out to be a very good deal for someone, instead of paying £25M for him plus his wage demands. 

5 hours ago, RuffRob said:

Iwobi has been playing like £100k player under Lampard and consistently so. However, it's how he has played under every any other manager that's more concerning. Given how often the club change managers that has to be a bit of a worry. 

Great point. What happens to Iwobi if Lampard leaves? If you believe the rumors, Lampard may not have much time left.