IGNORED

Watford (Home) Saturday August 17th

markjazzbassist

8 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

How was JPG?

He was not outstanding but rarely put a foot wrong and he appears like he is going to be a very good player. good passer good on the ball pretty big and physical. Look forward to seeing him continue to get comfortable and settled.

Kean looked really good. Strong, and dang does he spin off and get Ina shooting position quickly

Very poor second half, luckily Pickford kept us the three points after Richarlison should have had the game buried. Gomes imposed himself more and helped play us out of trouble more times than he should have to.

Surprised the manager subbed Richarlison but was right to do so as he was even without the missed chances he was out of sorts second half. Sigurdssen should have been off at half time though, shielded the ball well in the 90+ minutes but other than that really didn't impose himself. Kean for DCL really didn't help with Kean, I get he needs minutes but we were clinging on to a 1 nil need and could have done with an extra midfielder instead to hold the ball or going 442 and countering with the long ball. 

1 minute ago, pete0 said:

Very poor second half, luckily Pickford kept us the three points after Richarlison should have had the game buried. Gomes imposed himself more and helped play us out of trouble more times than he should have to.

Surprised the manager subbed Richarlison but was right to do so as he was even without the missed chances he was out of sorts second half. Sigurdssen should have been off at half time though, shielded the ball well in the 90+ minutes but other than that really didn't impose himself. Kean for DCL really didn't help with Kean, I get he needs minutes but we were clinging on to a 1 nil need and could have done with an extra midfielder instead to hold the ball or going 442 and countering with the long ball. 

Josh and me both said that was his biggest contribution in the whole game when it happened, not great.

13 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Josh and me both said that was his biggest contribution in the whole game when it happened, not great.

He was pretty missing the second half, until the end until the end, when he did the Lords Work holding possession of the ball in the last few minutes

27 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I'm hoping Iwobi gets a chance next week. I feel for Sigurdssen as he does try his best but he's just not suited to the role he's being asked to do. 

39 minutes ago, pete0 said:

If Digne hadn't have got injured then I expect another midfielder would have come in (Davies for Siggy). 

In respect of Kean he could have come away with 2 goals and then it would have been a masterstroke. Don't think it was a bad idea especially as DCL never looked like scoring all game.

Good to get the monkey off our back early doors with the first win, and quite comfortable too might I add despite what the critics might suggest. Watford's whole tactic was to play the "English pass", long ball throughout the game and it played right into our hands with Yerry Mina on the pitch. The second balls were mopped up with minimum fuss and despite the odd scare (them hitting our post in the first half and the Deeney chance) I don't think we realistically looked like dropping points. Hopefully we can use this as a springboard to put in better performances as for all the positives there were several passages of the game where we looked sloppy, something that hopefully improves over time. 

It was another good game for Pickford, a great save (albeit with his face) when Deeney went through one-on-one to keep us in the game and his whole persona was brilliant controlling the back four. Two clean sheets is everything we could have asked for. 

It's worrying that we have a potential injury in Lucas Digne as he was fantastic too, a constant threat down the left hand side and kept Deulofeu in his pocket for the duration of the match. Keane and Mina dealt with anything thrown at them, like I said earlier the long ball played into our hands but it still had to be dealt with. I've always liked Yerry so glad to see that he's getting the plaudits.

Coleman on the right did well and slotted into the left-back position. I was a bit nervous about him going there up against Geri but he handled it well, so stable and a formidable rock. It'll be interesting to see what we do with Sidebe with Seamus on form.

My old man picked André Gomes as his MOTM and it's not a bad shout, it's overlooked sometimes having players that can put their foot on the ball and take the sting out of the game, he never looked in trouble all afternoon and played some great football. Alongside, JPG had an excellent first half and a great end to the second however slipped into a passage of the game where he couldn't make a pass stick and looked like the player that showed up to Selhurst Park. There's a player in him that's bound to come out but I think it's going to be a patient wait as he's not quite at full speed. 

Bernard - fantastic. Great first goal cutting in from the wing and had some magical dribbles through the park that should have been rewarded. A constant thorn in the Watford defence and ran them ragged, he also did well in the last few minutes holding the ball up with Gomes and Sigurdsson, the latter having another quiet afternoon but by no means terrible. 

However, the one player on the pitch who won't be happy with his performance is Richarlison. I'm not sure if it's old club syndrome with him but he couldn't get anything going, his passes went astray, he never looked like scoring and missed two massive free headers to put the game to bed. Interesting how when he blazed a through ball to DCL out into touch for a goal kick Silva immediately asked Boa Morte to get Walcott on the pitch, the boss clearly not impressed with Charlie's afternoon. 

Dominic himself up top did well at holding the ball up, linked well with the wingers but never really looked like getting himself on the scoresheet. The sooner Kean is up to speed (and it looks like he is) the better as I think it'll be night and day between the two strikers over the course of the season. 

Overall, it's not a performance for the history books but it's three points, a second clean sheet from two and a great platform to build from. UTFT 💙!

1 hour ago, Isaiah said:

Delighted with the win, and also with the manner of it. Very solid defensively and great game management in the final 10 minutes. That's something we've been lacking for years. 

The game management from the first half was brilliant, we never looked on the ropes once despite Watford having a good chunk of possession throughout the match. Pickford deserves a lot of credit for his role in this. 

1 hour ago, Finn balor said:

Kean looks a starter next week? Did he look sharp? 

Looked much more "on it" than against Palace and I don't think he did too badly last week. He was within an inch of scoring, although it would have been chalked for offside. 

1 hour ago, plaidharper said:

Every time Kean gets the ball... so excited.

Unpredictable, like Niasse 👀

Just now, Finn balor said:

Looks like it should be kean from the start and DCl when the game is stretched and he can work the centre halves in the last twenty minutes 

eventually but i think they are trying to ease Kean into the position, today was good for him to see the more physical side to the game.  a couple times he was bulldozed and looked for a foul that never came (gbamin as well).  the quicker they realize they need to stand firm and those fouls wont come the better.  you can see he's a lot more comfortable with the ball at his feet and he wants to score badly, i say let him get 30 min of villa and start lincoln, bag a brace at lincoln and then force the manager to start you the next match.

27 minutes ago, Bailey said:

If Digne hadn't have got injured then I expect another midfielder would have come in (Davies for Siggy). 

In respect of Kean he could have come away with 2 goals and then it would have been a masterstroke. Don't think it was a bad idea especially as DCL never looked like scoring all game.

Sigurdssen should have been the first sub. Straight from the second half kick off we were under pressure and needed the extra man. 

We were already leading so the game was more open for him, and he only had the one chance the other was miles off side. He also got moaned at by Sigurdssen at the end, Kean's off ball isn't there yet. Looks very exciting on it though. 

Overall DCL caused them more problems and his hard work winning the ball on the right hand side should have resulted in a goal only Richarlison had a mare. 

3 hours ago, Finn balor said:

How was JPG?

He’s a good footballer mate. He made some really good tackles, got forward and has a nice touch on him.

He made a few bad passes and got caught a couple of times, but that’s due to getting used to the pace I think. He will be a very good player, just needs time.