IGNORED

West Brom (Home) Saturday September 19th

markjazzbassist

28 minutes ago, Aidan said:

I read his book the week before the season began and he bangs on about how its the best formation to play. 

Carlo also says in his book that one of his biggest regrets was not using Roberto Baggio while he was managing Parma. He was obsessed with playing 4-4-2 (his dissertation at University was about it) and as a result completely froze Baggio out of the side as he was a number 10. He later said that it was a mistake and made him realise the importance of being flexible and building the formation around the players and not vice versa.

Carlo used 4-4-2 when he was new to the club but his signings this summer showed that it was only a stop-gap until he could mould us into what he wanted, not to mention that our formations so far have been as fluid as they come.

Just now, Zoo 2.0 said:

Carlo also says in his book that one of his biggest regrets was not using Roberto Baggio while he was managing Parma. He was obsessed with playing 4-4-2 (his dissertation at University was about it) and as a result completely froze Baggio out of the side as he was a number 10. He later said that it was a mistake and made him realise the importance of being flexible and building the formation around the players and not vice versa.

Carlo used 4-4-2 when he was new to the club but his signings this summer showed that it was only a stop-gap until he could mould us into what he wanted, not to mention that our formations so far have been as fluid as they come.

Id suppose hes shaped a team out of the best players we can get rather than buying soley to suit a system. 

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

But the players we bought were a dead giveaway that we weren't going to play that formation. Ever since Carlo arrived he's banged on about playing the best formation for the players he has - 442 was perfect for what he had last season, this season it was very clear a different formation was needed.

I think perfect is quite a big statement given what happened last season! 

13 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Reading how poor a lot of players played today, and how bad the team was for the first hour or so..... I hope we continue playing this shit for a long time.

Have not enjoyed watching us this much for 18 months.

Stay shit Carlo!!!!!

2 minutes ago, Aidan said:

And only 5 goals. Fucking shite! 

We played better football under Fat Sam 🤣🤣🤪

3 hours ago, Shukes said:

Reading how poor a lot of players played today, and how bad the team was for the first hour or so..... I hope we continue playing this shit for a long time.

Have not enjoyed watching us this much for 18 months.

Stay shit Carlo!!!!!

the difference is when we played poor last year we were punished for it.  this year we are winning when not up to speed and playing poorly.  that's what good teams do.  Also Carlo has never been shit.

My oldest son now subscribes to Peacock TV, so I was able to watch the entire game.

In the first half, I was quite disappointed. We passed the ball around a lot, and pass accuracy is clearly improving, but it often seemed aimless. (This is my principal complaint with Gomes; what exactly is he trying to achieve with his possession of the ball?) When we put emphasis on passing, sloppiness comes at a cost. This was made very clear when Diangana won the ball, drove toward our goal, and scored. Frankly, we needed this to wake us up a bit, although we almost paid the price for continued aimlessness when West Brom hit the post. After that, we really did seem to wake up. DCL's goal was a clever reaction from him, and James' goal was sublime. Then West Brom completely shot themselves in the foot by having Gibbs and their manager sent off. At that point, the result was never in doubt.

The second West Brom goal was a moment of brilliance. Whereas I thought Pickford was partly to blame for their first goal (positioned poorly and leaving the far side of his goal wide open), there was nothing he could do to stop that free kick. But then the supremacy of having 11 players against their 10 began to count with constant pressure and corner after corner. These days, we look threatening on most corners, which is a big improvement from a couple of years ago. Well done to DC-L for claiming a hat-trick. All credit, too, to James for a delightful chip for the fourth goal, and to Richarlison who did everything but score. I was quite disappointed that we let up on the pressure because we could have racked up the score and our goal difference advantage. I hope we don't regret that later in the season: We only get to play once at home to the worst team in the league.

If this were any team in the top half of the table, though, we would have struggled based on yesterday's performance: I was not so impressed as in the opening game. IMO, Gomes should be dropped, and we should swap things around to bring in Gordon. Allan didn't have a great day, but at least he demonstrates intent and takes charge. Our central defence is adequate but would not pass muster against a top team, and this is our weakness right now. Digne on the left and Coleman on the right, however, played very well. So, if we're going to spend more cash before the transfer window closes, it needs to be for a central defender. (I'm still not totally convinced by Pickford, but let's hope he returns to better form.)

It was a good win, but only what's to be expected against such poor opposition. Maybe we learned some lessons - be more clinical and incisive, shut down the opposition instead of giving them space, give James the freedom to demonstrate his considerable ability. We're going to have to play better, though, to beat Palace next weekend. Let's hope we don't play any of the first team in the weekend cup game, otherwise we'll be providing Palace with a starting advantage.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

The two goals look even worse for Mina with the different angles 

No doubt. He had a total nightmare, definitely something to worry about with Holgate out for so long. 

Can't figure out why because it's largely irrelevant but I'm fascinated by the Iwobi/Kean situation. Found it odd when Iwobi replaced DCL instead of Kean. Found it odd when Kean replaced James. Found out absolutely shocking when Kean stayed right and Iwobi stayed up front even when they were on the field together. Will be watching that closely moving forward.