IGNORED

West Brom (Home) Saturday September 19th

markjazzbassist

Extremely worrying how shit we were for the first hour, something that Carlo really needs to drum into the players because against another side we would have been dead and buried. 

The last 30 minutes were something else though, so obviously very happy overall with the three points and the way that we killed the game off. 

Onto Fleetwood! 

We came from behind to win 5-2. 
Hat trick from Dom, answering Palfys call to be more cutthroat. 
James getting off the mark, will give him massive confidence. Damn that guy is hot.

Allan again showing the dirty stuff.

Richarlison was excellent again, felt sorry for him not getting a goal... but was involved in absolutely everything.

5 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Extremely worrying how shit we were for the first hour, something that Carlo really needs to drum into the players because against another side we would have been dead and buried. 

The last 30 minutes were something else though, so obviously very happy overall with the three points and the way that we killed the game off. 

Onto Fleetwood! 

I don’t think we were at all. 
Commentators were still talking about how well West Brom we’re playing even when they gave the ball away.

I never thought we were in trouble, even when behind. 

Best moment.... Allan telling the team to calm down. 

The midfield needs time, they have had only a couple of weeks training and 2 games so there is a lack of understanding on who pushes, who stays etc. All this will come with time.

Very good performance against a West Brom team that played very very well in the first half, their passing and movement were superb.

Though Siggy, Iwobi and Kean looked good when they came on. Shows we have real strength in depth.

However we NEED a centre back, or two asap, although Keane and Mina were ok, we need cover and competition.

If James can continue to dominate coming in from the right, Ancelotti’s current 4-3-3 (I think .....) looks exciting.  But I can see that gradually James may need to be better positioned as a 10.  So although I was thrilled when we signed Gomes, he would probably move to the bench if someone develops as a dependable RW.  Maybe Iwobi, but I don’t see that yet.  Gordon??

Well that was a bit of a rollercoaster! 

I didnt think we were playing terribly in the first half but someone in the move would just do something ridiculously sloppy or stupid and the move would break down and then we were on the backfoot. It doesnt matter who you are against if a move breaks down because you are completely out of position and scrambling. For the first goal we had our 3 midfielders covering 4 blades of grass and it gets to one of their best players and then its tough. Mina does what he should in backing off but he makes the cardinal sin of not being able to get close enough to stop the shot. 

We crept back into it and whilst we get a bit lucky with the first, the second was James all over. It was the perfect finish. Then Gibbs gets sent off and even though they scored it was all over, they were never going to stop us scoring. 

Pickford again made the saves he needed to and could do nothing about the goals.

Mina was crap. He looked like he didn't know what to do and when to do it. He kept playing us into trouble with his passing and that started from the first whistle with his dreadful back pass to Pickford.

Keane on the other hand was great. Completely in control. His passing and reading of the game was superb. 

Coleman was another that played poorly. Some of his decision making was shocking and early on his positioning would have made Sidibe look competent.

Digne was solid, nothing more than that.

I found Allan to be disappointing. He did a lot of pointing and 'hiding' so it will be interesting to hear some other views but that wasn't my problem. He was still trying to lead and manage the team but he was sloppy in simple situations and he then had this tendancy to chase the ball and not hold position. For the first goal, he should never have really been in the position he was, it was like there was a bit of complacency in his play.

Doucoure was great again. He was everywhere and he ran the midfield for us. Loads of energy and drive.

I thought Gomes was better today. There was still that element of sloppiness as with the majority of the others but he showed much more intent even if the execution wasn't always there.

James was a lot quieter today but when he picked his moments they were quality. Not just any quality but elite level quality. The finish was incredible as was the ball he played to Digne in the 2nd half.

Richarlison was excellent again. He was unlucky not to finish with a goal because he set two tap ins up for DCL (one through aggression one through skill) and scored an offside goal that was an brilliant finish. What impressed me most was those runs he made in behind time and time again. Always on the last man, always trying to get in on goal and it was only a matter of time until one worked out. 

I am made up for DCL. Through his sheer hard work and persistence at the club he has deserved a moment like this where he gets to take home the match ball. All those times he was battering into centre backs and running the channels and now he is the centre forward for a side that is creating chance after chance and today showed his predatory instinct more than anything. He probably won't score an easier hattrick. The combined distance from goal was probably about 8 yards but he needed to be there to put the ball in the back of the net. I actually thought his overall play was quite poor and he gave it away at least twice that led to dangerous counter attacks but just like Lukaku before him, if that is the price to pay then I am happy to pay it! 

Just as another side note, much like last week the shape we play is so much better now than it was last year. Loads of work has clearly gone into it and we have the players now that fit seamlessly into it. Finally Davide is doing a great job on the set pieces both attacking and defending. 

17 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Onto Fleetwood! 

think you are being a little over critical. West Brom had a couple of decent 5min spells here and there (particular in the first  15m 20mins of the game) and we where on the back foot  only once or twice, but this is Prem football and rare to dominate games completely, especially against newly promoted teams in the first month or two of the season when they are well up for it. Last year we may have drawn or even lost this game, today we just grew and dominated.

To put in in to perspective, this is only the second game for our midfield together (four different players who have NEVER played together!!), so there is occasionally going to be the odd clinch until they properly understand one and others games - actually doing well to look as good as it does in the time they have been together. I am only expecting them to come together properly in the New year.

7 minutes ago, Aidan said:

I read his book the week before the season began and he bangs on about how its the best formation to play. 

But the players we bought were a dead giveaway that we weren't going to play that formation. Ever since Carlo arrived he's banged on about playing the best formation for the players he has - 442 was perfect for what he had last season, this season it was very clear a different formation was needed.

19 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

But the players we bought were a dead giveaway that we weren't going to play that formation. Ever since Carlo arrived he's banged on about playing the best formation for the players he has - 442 was perfect for what he had last season, this season it was very clear a different formation was needed.

Not necessarily. Drop gomes out of the team and its a 442 with richarlison up front.