IGNORED

Manchester United (Carabao Cup Home) Wednesday 23 December

markjazzbassist

Tough decisions for Ancelotti, with crowded fixtures and injuries to 3 key players.

Generally I favor plenty of rotation in busy times.  In this case, we have one more day between Arsenal and ManU than between ManU and SheffieldU.  I’ll use that as an excuse or rationale for hoping for little rotation for tomorrow, more for Saturday.  If in fact Ancelotti rotates, say, none or only one tomorrow, then he’ll surely have to rotate heavily for the weekend.  That’s what I hope for, and actually expect.  I also hope he uses all 3 subs tomorrow, and all by the 80th minute at the latest.

All of DCL, Richarlison, Doucouré, Iwobi, maybe Holgate, Mina, and Sigurdsson would need a break for SHU if they play 70+ minutes tomorrow.  Also, ManCity comes along immediately after, next Monday.  Seems to me the SHU match is the most logical for significant rotation.

Pickford

Coleman       Mina       Keane       Godfrey

Doucouré          Holgate

Iwobi               Sigurdsson            Richarlison

DCL

Depending on circumstances, subs can be defensive — Kenny, Davies — or offensive — Gordon, Bernard, Tosun.

Maybe James and Gomes will be available by the weekend?

19 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

starting to wonder what happened to him, been what 2-3 weeks now?  i hope he is alright.  iwobi is ok but James on his day is exceptional

Everton midfielder James Rodriguez remains absent because of a calf injury that has seen him miss the past three matches, although he has returned to individual training.”

I don't think he was fully fit to start with.  He's had a few intense games and international nonsense and I think his body is reacting. 

I'm also thinking there may be some stuff going on that is tactical - in terms of how do we get the positives from his inclusion in the team and minimise some of the weaknesses due to his niche type of role. 

59 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I don't think he was fully fit to start with.  He's had a few intense games and international nonsense and I think his body is reacting. 

I'm also thinking there may be some stuff going on that is tactical - in terms of how do we get the positives from his inclusion in the team and minimise some of the weaknesses due to his niche type of role. 

Play him when Coleman is fully up to speed he’s probably the only RB who has enough about his game to cope with his lack of defensive duties, until then use him of the bench. 

On 21/12/2020 at 12:21, Hafnia said:

Duels.... Not headers. The Duel is when he goes for a header against someone.... He's often unmarked/unchallenged now.   Opponents often don't bother marking or jumping and react to the second ball instead, something I've not seen for us since big duncs days. 

His work off the ball is still very high and his increased muscle is going to tire him more and leave him supseptible to injury.  I reckon he's put on 3-4kg in the last year.  I recall when I was playing, I put on half a stone after doing weights... Absolutely gassed. Look at the likes of AJ - 4 pound either way makes a huge difference.

In terms of overall balance - workrate, physicality, distance covered, and technical output there is no player to touch him. 

From personal experience, aerial duels will suck the life out of your legs more than just winning headers, especially if they are completely unchallenged as you say.

I still maintain that his work off the ball is much lower than it has been in the past. He works a lot more intelligently now. He isn't chasing balls 30-40 yards down the channels like he was under previous managers.

I would also be very wary of comparing your muscle gain to that of a professional athlete with their array of sport scientists. DCL will be building muscle without it affecting his stamina and to also improve injury prevention. If he did then they should probably be sacked.

26 minutes ago, Bailey said:

From personal experience, aerial duels will suck the life out of your legs more than just winning headers, especially if they are completely unchallenged as you say.

I still maintain that his work off the ball is much lower than it has been in the past. He works a lot more intelligently now. He isn't chasing balls 30-40 yards down the channels like he was under previous managers.

I would also be very wary of comparing your muscle gain to that of a professional athlete with their array of sport scientists. DCL will be building muscle without it affecting his stamina and to also improve injury prevention. If he did then they should probably be sacked.

What and when you eat is the key to building muscle and maintaining stamina, you can’t achieve both to run along side each other without fuelling the body correctly, footballers are more like athletes now than ever before. 

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

You can't build muscle without it increasing physical demand when performing exercise.... Muscle gets its oxygen supply from the oxygenated blood, the more oxygenated blood you need - the more your heart beats and faster the lungs work to supply the muscles 

Unless DCL was performing at sub optimal cardio levels at his lighter weight - which he won't have been then the only way he would not be negatively impacted by muscle gain is if he was blood doping (taking EPO etc)..... Or lesser so - doing what Liverpool F.C do and have players taking inhalers .... Aka cheating. 

To jump the same height with 10 pound extra in weight puts and increases load of 20kg  on the jump (based on a leap required to dunk a ball which is About right for Dom).... So with that in mind .... If 10 pound = 20 kg force them he is looking at pushing out  340kg worth of force to get the height he does.

DCL is a freak, most people who can jump high actually can run fast but not all can produce the distance and sprint repetitions that he can and stay fresh enough to be a good finisher. 

I'm not sure how this will go. 

United's midfield contains Pogba, Fernandes and VDB which feels unbalanced. I can only guess Ole expects us to sit back and therefore he is putting as much creativity as he can into the side. 

On the other hand, we have Siggy and Gomes playing in the same midfield, one playing on a short turnaround and the other coming back from a niggle. 

I think it will come down to which one of these midfields is most up to it on the day. If Gomes and Siggy fire and Pogba is his lazy self then we can really punish them on the counter. If United's fires, they could rip us apart as Doucoure can only do so much. 

I'd love to see someone lay into Fernandes nice and early and keep him out of the game. The more involved he is, the less likely we win the game in my opinion.