IGNORED

Leicester (Home) Wednesday 27 January

AlbanyNYToffee

9 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Made up with Richarlison's reaction to the final whistle there (punching the floor). Fucking frustrating isn't really putting it properly, should be won that. We had them in our pockets and we let them out. Fucking hell. 

Although, win against Newcastle and it's four from two which I would have taken before KO. Let's keep it in context lads - but arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Was great to see the players getting so emotional.

DCL looked angry when he came off. Not because he was subbed, but because he knows what a chance that was.

I do believe our players might be getting a bit of fire in their belly’s!

8 hours ago, pete0 said:

That's Pickford first mistake that has cost us points, he's definitely in surplus when it comes to points. Ball was through a lot of bodies and he tipped it onto the post. If he used his feet he'd probably have saved it. But half the team should have controlled the ball better first and the manager should have changed things. To solely blame Pickford is laughable. Gomes, Richarlison and DCL all should have done better the other end.

Feels weird when I end up agreeing with you :P 

Don’t get me wrong, he absolutely needs to save that, it’s a weak arm and he’s done the hard part of getting down well. But he was obstructed and I’ve no idea what “coverage” that group were trying to provide. But overall, he did well apart from those 5 mins where he spaced out. And yes, I know, his spacing out is not acceptable. 

If I’m honest, I’m annoyed we didn’t win that. We had 2 opportunities that should’ve been buried. But on the flip side, that’s a point that we didn’t deserve based on the overall performance. So I guess, on to the next one and do better. 

7 hours ago, pete0 said:

Screenshot-20210128-045537.png

For those moaning admit Pickford, here's a game of spot the ball. 

Watching it back Richarlison is the one most at fault for the goal, although arguably the manager for not changing things sooner. He goes to press leaving their player completely free. 

On a positive note. How good is James. Need to check his passport as that goal looked Brazilian. Reminiscent of Rivaldo or dare I say Ronaldo. How he shapes his body then takes the strike almost like he's just taking another stride. Swift and not much back lift. World class.

Looking at that frame there are ten Everton players in there and only four Leicester players.  If we are going to defend so deep and with that many players they should at least get close to an attacker, we outnumber them two to one and nobody is near enough to tackle him.  Blame Pickford all you like but with that many players back nobody should be standing in open space for a free shot.

I also agree that is a good spot the ball Pic, because it came through about six bodies before Pickford got a look at it.

Without going through the thread so sorry if it’s been mentioned already but how shit was the commentary last night? It was the worst I’ve ever heard - no knowledge whatsoever when it comes to Everton! I know us, as fans, follow EFC closer but Savage and whoever the other bloke was are paid to have some sort of background knowledge. In the first half they were shocked about the deep line on defensive free-kicks and I think Savage said that he’d never seen us do that before - maybe even that the players had decided to do it... miraculously, in the 2nd half (after clearly being briefed at half-time), Savage commented about that deep line that Everton had been doing all season and shared ‘insight’ on it. It was hideous - so many other ridiculous comments by both of them who clearly haven’t seen us play this season.

49 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Without going through the thread so sorry if it’s been mentioned already but how shit was the commentary last night? It was the worst I’ve ever heard - no knowledge whatsoever when it comes to Everton! I know us, as fans, follow EFC closer but Savage and whoever the other bloke was are paid to have some sort of background knowledge. In the first half they were shocked about the deep line on defensive free-kicks and I think Savage said that he’d never seen us do that before - maybe even that the players had decided to do it... miraculously, in the 2nd half (after clearly being briefed at half-time), Savage commented about that deep line that Everton had been doing all season and shared ‘insight’ on it. It was hideous - so many other ridiculous comments by both of them who clearly haven’t seen us play this season.

haf, mikeO, and myself (could be more i might have missed) all posted comments on how bad they were.  it was atrocious.  they were clearly pro-leicester, at one time one of them said the other lives in leicester!  not a big deal if you can be impartial but they were not.  in america we have shite broadcasters like that, but mostly it's other sports commentators forced to do a soccer match and then botching the terms and jargon.  i figured with the sport as big as it is in england the commentators would be good, sadly last night they were not.

Awful commentary pair, Savage used to play for Leicester, and it seems he still lives there. Savage also wanted Richarlisonnnn ( that’s how they pronounced it last night) booked for his first foul, for the non UK residents, have a look at Robbie Savage on utube or whatever, he used to kick 7 shades of shit out of everyone.

On a slight drift, my niece used to work for the BBC in the sport commercial dept at a senior level, negotiating their contracts with sports bodies etc inc Wimbledon RU World Cup. She was in the office in Salford Quays one day when Savage turned up late for a meeting she was chairing, having not met her before he asked her “ get me a coffee please love” Needless to say she has a low opinion of him. She’s now in a similar role at BT, I’ll be having words with her about their commentary quality! 

A lot of comments have been made about how well the back 4 played against Leicester, I would agree on the whole but there were a couple of moments in the game that I thought they got away with it. Highlights are below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHDfr_xKAe4

1. 48 seconds - Keane trying to play back to the keeper and it getting blocked when he could have played it down the line with his left.

2. 3.19 - Mason gets drawn wide and takes an age to get tighter and Mina comes out of the line but doesn't win the ball (meaning Mason should be hustling to get back in shape even more). Mina does well to get back in, but Godfrey should do a lot better to stop the cross (basic in my opinion), Holgate does slip back in but Keane gets stuck in no mans land (hasn't dropped but also isn't close enough to the runner), and Mina gets beaten by Justin's run. Good touch from Pickford.

3. 4.04 - Godfrey is out of position, Keane gets caught ball watching instead of dropping off leaving an easy ball between them. Keane only gets back because of an average touch, but Mina was on the cover too.

4. 8.23 -Godfrey makes a poor clearing header straight to the Leicester player when it could have put it out to touch. He then shoes a right footed player that has wanted to drive into the box on his right foot, into the box onto his right foot (Im not sure what Davies was doing in the meantime). I think Coleman should step out of the line to close the angle, but he goes deeper, Mina gets caught ball watching, Keane, follows Mina's man instead of worrying about Maddison on the penalty spot and you could also argue Digne should have covered inside too but he stays happily wide watching a guy coming in at the back post. Maddison should score but he goes to the wrong post, giving Keane a chance to something on the shot.

These things were happening throughout the game. We even had a warning just before highlight #3 where Godfrey was caught out in the same way.

I think the back 4 did have a lot to deal with against Leicester because of the quality of their play and the way the side was set up. My feeling was that when Leicester got through our press, which happened most of the time outside of the 15-45 minutes of the first half, then they were getting into positions to cause us problems, without necessarily doing so, much like the Wolves game.

In one way I think it is a good way to play because there aren't a lot of "sharp" attacking teams at the moment, but on the other hand, I think if we play like that against City we will ship a few! Even against crap teams, I could see us slacking like that against Newcastle and Wilson making the most of it and struggling to get back on terms unless James pulls a rabbit out of his hat.

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

A lot of comments have been made about how well the back 4 played against Leicester, I would agree on the whole but there were a couple of moments in the game that I thought they got away with it. Highlights are below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHDfr_xKAe4

1. 48 seconds - Keane trying to play back to the keeper and it getting blocked when he could have played it down the line with his left.

2. 3.19 - Mason gets drawn wide and takes an age to get tighter and Mina comes out of the line but doesn't win the ball (meaning Mason should be hustling to get back in shape even more). Mina does well to get back in, but Godfrey should do a lot better to stop the cross (basic in my opinion), Holgate does slip back in but Keane gets stuck in no mans land (hasn't dropped but also isn't close enough to the runner), and Mina gets beaten by Justin's run. Good touch from Pickford.

3. 4.04 - Godfrey is out of position, Keane gets caught ball watching instead of dropping off leaving an easy ball between them. Keane only gets back because of an average touch, but Mina was on the cover too.

4. 8.23 -Godfrey makes a poor clearing header straight to the Leicester player when it could have put it out to touch. He then shoes a right footed player that has wanted to drive into the box on his right foot, into the box onto his right foot (Im not sure what Davies was doing in the meantime). I think Coleman should step out of the line to close the angle, but he goes deeper, Mina gets caught ball watching, Keane, follows Mina's man instead of worrying about Maddison on the penalty spot and you could also argue Digne should have covered inside too but he stays happily wide watching a guy coming in at the back post. Maddison should score but he goes to the wrong post, giving Keane a chance to something on the shot.

These things were happening throughout the game. We even had a warning just before highlight #3 where Godfrey was caught out in the same way.

I think the back 4 did have a lot to deal with against Leicester because of the quality of their play and the way the side was set up. My feeling was that when Leicester got through our press, which happened most of the time outside of the 15-45 minutes of the first half, then they were getting into positions to cause us problems, without necessarily doing so, much like the Wolves game.

In one way I think it is a good way to play because there aren't a lot of "sharp" attacking teams at the moment, but on the other hand, I think if we play like that against City we will ship a few! Even against crap teams, I could see us slacking like that against Newcastle and Wilson making the most of it and struggling to get back on terms unless James pulls a rabbit out of his hat.

Imagine going out from the off on the front foot!

Defending from the front and allowing the midfield to push on, over the half way line.

setting out to sit back and defend as we did mistakes are inevitable.

As a whole I thought the defence did okay. That can’t be said about the 2 sitting in front in them though.

1 hour ago, milesey05 said:

Imagine going out from the off on the front foot!

Defending from the front and allowing the midfield to push on, over the half way line.

setting out to sit back and defend as we did mistakes are inevitable.

As a whole I thought the defence did okay. That can’t be said about the 2 sitting in front in them though.

Early on if we committed men forward we would have got picked off.  Leicester do it for fun.  At the end they were gassed do it wasn't as much a risk.

We had zero pace in midfield so I think it was ok to set up like that. 

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Early on if we committed men forward we would have got picked off.  Leicester do it for fun.  At the end they were gassed do it wasn't as much a risk.

We had zero pace in midfield so I think it was ok to set up like that. 

We pressed really high in the first half. It didn't work to start with but we got better and better at it towards the end of the half. To start it was a little disjointed but then the whole team stepped up. 

Second half we sat back a lot more and then tried to rally a bit at the end.

7 hours ago, Bailey said:

We pressed really high in the first half. It didn't work to start with but we got better and better at it towards the end of the half. To start it was a little disjointed but then the whole team stepped up. 

Second half we sat back a lot more and then tried to rally a bit at the end.

Pressed high first half?? 
must have missed that as I thought Leicester dominated us from the first whistle. 
Game gone now and we got a point 😊

5 hours ago, milesey05 said:

Pressed high first half?? 
must have missed that as I thought Leicester dominated us from the first whistle. 
Game gone now and we got a point 😊

Definitely, we were closing down well in their half and then dropped deep when the press was beaten.