IGNORED

Manchester City (FA Cup Quarterfinals) Home Saturday 20 March

AlbanyNYToffee

5 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

12 men ?

Oliver. Giving softer freekicks than a Mr whippy on a hot day.

7 minutes ago, c1982 said:

It wasn’t a high foot though - he got the decision correct.

He clearly affected Mina, ref even had his whistle at his lips.

Just now, nyblue23 said:

No doubt we played well to hold a side with that much talent for as long as we did but you have to be disappointed because that was there for the taking. Ultimately just got too complacent in the last 10 minutes.

I don’t think it’s a case of us getting too complacent, City are an excellent footballing side and always seem to find a way when sides sit back like we did. It was always going to be a long night, we give it a great go but they were just too good for us

3 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Play to the whistle - it wasn’t a high foot.

It's still a foul. He's impeded him with his action.

He had it in his mouth. Can't fault the players for expecting him to blow it. Probably would have had the ball not fell for a chance.

4 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

And the Ref correctly didn’t blow as Mahrez pulled out, it did effect Mina but maybe he has to be a bit braver there ?

Braver? He didn't know Jesus would pull out of the challenge yet he's still got his head on it. If you think he can be braver you're acknowledging the high foot was a foul as it's impeded him.

2 minutes ago, pete0 said:

It's still a foul. He's impeded him with his action.

He had it in his mouth. Can't fault the players for expecting him to blow it. Probably would have had the ball not fell for a chance.

He put his whistle to his mouth as Mahrez started to raise his foot, then saw he pulled out and so never blew it, got it spot on really

Decent effort given the squad available, only real disappointment is we didn’t make more of the set pieces and corners which were our best chances.
Stating 11 all played well, but I really don’t see what Iwobi brings to our game, who thought great here’s Iwobi we will get an equaliser?

only a plus note Joao looked very good, if Olsen does leave do we need to replace him, is Joao good enough now.

1 minute ago, pete0 said:

Braver? He didn't know Jesus would pull out of the challenge yet he's still got his head on it. If you think he can be braver you're acknowledging the high foot was a foul as it's impeded him.

Not at all, Mina saw the foot and thought there would be contact so it did 100% effect him as he messed the header up but the likes of John Terry, Martin Keown or Phil Jagielka would have ignored that and cleared their lines regardless and worried about the foot later

8 minutes ago, pete0 said:

I can see what you are trying to get at but he hasn’t impeded him, Mina thought a foul was coming and flinched causing him to fuck up the header but for me that’s not enough because the foul never came

16 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I can see what you are trying to get at but he hasn’t impeded him, Mina thought a foul was coming and flinched causing him to fuck up the header but for me that’s not enough because the foul never came

The fact his actions caused him to flinch is enough. This has been the rules since I've known. Don't see how it's even debatable.

14 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Had his foot been unnaturally high, then you’d be spot on but it wasn’t a high foot so the fact that Mina flinches  is completely irrelevant.

It's not just the foot being high it's the action. He's impeded him. 

57 minutes ago, pete0 said:

impedes the progress of an opponent without any contact being made

2 minutes ago, pete0 said:

It's not just the foot being high it's the action. He's impeded him. 

How has he impeded him?

I think the fact that there were two centre halves in the studio criticising Mina for not doing better speaks volumes ( Lescott & Ferdinand for thos not watching on BT Sport )

Regardless of any ‘impeding’, having just watched it back, the ref had the whistle to his lips for a foul by Godfrey and plays the advantage. Watch it back - it’s clear. The ref probably should have stopped play for a head injury to the Man City player (Cancelo I think) - maybe that’s what the players were complaining about.

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

I can't fault the players for their effort and endeavour, but the fact is we didn't trouble them in the slightest during this game. We were just waiting to get swatted and eventually it came. We didn't trouble them and were a bit of an irrelevance to them if we're honest with ourselves.

But, probably their whole bench tonight would get into our starting 11 so it's all about perspective with this one. We've come a long way but we've also got a long way to come before we can compete with a side like City. Getting squad depth is of the utmost importance - once we have injuries we're pretty much fucked.

And that is going to take some time 2 a window and we should be in a better position in a couple of years, on the basis we keep Ancelotti and don’t buy to many over 28 years old.

But I’m more than happy with how the club and team have progressed over the last year, Rome wasn’t built in a year and our manager is an Italian so he knows how long it takes to build a team and it’s not a year or 2 transfer windows. 

3 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I don’t think it’s a case of us getting too complacent, City are an excellent footballing side and always seem to find a way when sides sit back like we did. It was always going to be a long night, we give it a great go but they were just too good for us

Gomes didn’t even try to track Gundogan to prevent him from heading in off the rebound from the bar. He just stood there and watched him run forward. Maybe just exhaustion after 84 minutes of defending rather than complacency, but they sure did pick up the chaotic energy for the last 6 minutes.