IGNORED

West Ham (Away) Sunday 9 May

markjazzbassist

I thought we played really well in the first half and just about shaded it. Second half was horrible to watch and I really wish we wouldn’t retreat so much, so early.

A very important three points though and we showed we’re capable of battling like our lives depend on it. Fight is something we’ve lacked too often this season so it was nice to see. 

I actually enjoyed that performance, particularly the first half. It was full of fight and determination.

Allan and Coleman set the tone for the side, always pressing and getting in the opposition faces. Allan faded a little in the second half but if anything Coleman got better. I was also impressed by who he played a lot more inside, almost like a right defensive midfielder than you would normally expect. It was a good move from Carlo as the likes of Lingard, Fornals and Lanzini all wanted to go through the middle. Coleman was my MOTM.

I thought the front two played well but in contrasting ways. Richarlison was the one getting the ball down and causing them a massive headache albeit with little quality, whereas I thought Dom was a bit quiet on the whole, albeit with three bits of genuine quality. His goal was a piece of art, I would say it was his best of the season (isolating their slowest defender, perfect timing of the run, great touches and then a cool finish). His ball for Coleman was inch perfect too and its a shame King couldn't finish the jump ball he hit the post with. The difficulty we have with these two is they really aren't a partnership, they just combine to be one massive pain in the arse for the opposition.

Whilst they did have two big chances, I didn't think they looked remotely like scoring for the rest of the game and this 5 at the back clearly suits the players a lot more and I would expect it to be rolled out again against Villa. I wish we could push a little higher up the pitch and that was more obvious when Mina went off as he does try and get us out a little further and I also thought we could have played through their midfield more because on the rare occasion we did we would have caused a lot more problems than we did. I don't really remember Davies or Siggy making a forward pass.

18 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

We all saw this win coming. Absolutely delighted. Ben Godfrey is not human. Josh King is completely useless. 

I didn’t think Josh King was useless. He’s not had many opportunities and done ok when he’s had a run out. Iwobi has had far more chances with a lot less output. 

5 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I don't know how it went unnoticed but Dawson actually stopped that King chance on the line with his hand.

47 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

I thought he did initially, but the replay shows it didn’t, one thing the ref got right

I've watched it back multiple times in very slo-mo and can't see anything conclusive, but I think that if it was handled King would've appealed; he was better placed than anyone and trotted off without a look back, so that clinches it for me.

1 hour ago, Wiggytop said:

I thought he did initially, but the replay shows it didn’t, one thing the ref got right

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

I've watched it back multiple times in very slo-mo and can't see anything conclusive, but I think that if it was handled King would've appealed; he was better placed than anyone and trotted off without a look back, so that clinches it for me.

https://www.instagram.com/p/COtbENdjawh/?igshid=1a26krmolgljr 

Hits his hand for me. And King actually responds to this video on Instagram and says something like “cheers VAR”. 

3 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/COtbENdjawh/?igshid=1a26krmolgljr 

Hits his hand for me. And King actually responds to this video on Instagram and says something like “cheers VAR”. 

Still don't see that as conclusive evidence, it might have brushed his hand but no way can anyone say it did 100% so not clear and obvious, but as clear and obvious seems to have been binned as the yardstick who the fuck knows?

What that does show (for me) is that the lad has a great leap on him.

On 11/05/2021 at 19:40, Romey 1878 said:

The OS seems to agree, "Everton’s victory over West Ham was founded on a compact defensive display – but could have been more comfortable had a handball on the line to prevent Joshua King scoring been spotted."

But King really comes across as a bit daft saying, "cheers VAR." If he saw it why didn't he appeal for it? If he had maybe VAR would've had a look, but he just trotted off.

10 hours ago, MikeO said:

The OS seems to agree, "Everton’s victory over West Ham was founded on a compact defensive display – but could have been more comfortable had a handball on the line to prevent Joshua King scoring been spotted."

But King really comes across as a bit daft saying, "cheers VAR." If he saw it why didn't he appeal for it? If he had maybe VAR would've had a look, but he just trotted off.

https://www.football365.com/news/cannot-happen-carlo-ancelotti-still-upset-west-ham-var-call