IGNORED

Ben White

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

£50m? That's why I never look in this part of TT unless terminally bored. Godfrey would be worth £200m in that universe.

And I’m sure Brighton fans would say the same about White if they were linked to Godfrey for £50m. The bottom line is that they’re both quality, young CBs, but I’m not sure that he should be a priority signing considering our many other problem positions. 

I would think a lot would depend on movements out of the club. If Mina and/ or Holgate where to move on then would be room for a CB. If money no object and also looking to spend on other areas of the squad as well - then great, but like other have said don't think CB reinforcements is a high priority unless decent money coming in for the likes of Mina. Our £20M on Godfrey last summer was a bit of a surprise and with Jarred coming back - already have 5 capable CB's in the squad for Benitiez to assess. 

White/Godfrey partnership would be quite mouth watering - both like a dart out of defence with a ball. I love a CB who is capable of doing that. (as long as they can defend!!)

14 minutes ago, StevO said:

I think we are expecting a lot more than we should if anyone think Branthwaite is going to be playing next season. 
There is no rush for the lad. He needs another loan where he can play every week. 

He would definitely be 5th in line - but is on the books and if not loaned out again, then if he had to step up to the plate either on the bench or as a starter for a game or two if unlucky with injuries, he would be a option to use. I agree think a loan out would be better for him. But he is definitely a talent young CB that we have in the pipeline, so think he should be in the managers mind when spending on the squad. Is £50M spend on young CB best use of the budget available. Does Jarred have the potential to be the next Ben White? 

26 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

He would definitely be 5th in line - but is on the books and if not loaned out again, then if he had to step up to the plate either on the bench or as a starter for a game or two if unlucky with injuries, he would be a option to use. I agree think a loan out would be better for him. But he is definitely a talent young CB that we have in the pipeline, so think he should be in the managers mind when spending on the squad. Is £50M spend on young CB best use of the budget available. Does Jarred have the potential to be the next Ben White? 

Branthwaite still young and still learning his trade. Too early to say where he will end up in his career.

Dropped from the Blackburn team a few times, but i don't know if that was down to form or just cotton wool treatment because of his age. 

I like Ben White- i could see a good partnership with him and BG.

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

No

11 minutes ago, Bailey said:

No

Ben White was 20 years old playing league 1 football for Peterborough 18/19 season. Now in the England squad. 

Branthwaite 19 years old trying to learn his trade in the championship. Don't write the lad off just yet. I agree he has a long way to go but he has potential. 

1 minute ago, milesey05 said:

Ben White was 20 years old playing league 1 football for Peterborough 18/19 season. Now in the England squad. 

Branthwaite 19 years old trying to learn his trade in the championship. Don't write the lad off just yet. I agree he has a long way to go but he has potential. 

I hadn't seen White play when he was young but I have seen Branthwaite both at Everton and a bit at Blackburn and he has a long way to go to be Premier league standard at the moment, let alone being talked about as a £50mil player and future England tournament player.

A lot can change, and he may improve bundles but I don't see those attributes at the moment and certainly not if he is exposed to a high line, aggressive pressing side like Leeds or Brighton. He looks more like a Michael Keane style defender, which does mean Benitez might suit him.

There is no doubting that RB & RW especially are higher priorities for us and if we had been talking about this 12 months ago I would have agreed that we don’t need a new CB, However since then I think Holgate has regressed and had a shocker of a season. Yerry seems injury prone and reminds me of Joey Yobo, superb one minute a total cluster fuck the next with no middle ground. Branthwaite had a bit of an underwhelming loan at Blackburn last season so don’t think is ready which leave us with just Keane and Godfrey. So I don’t think we are as well stocked as it seems at first glance

Regarding the price - £70-£75m for Godfrey and White seems quite reasonable to me in the current market. The fact that we got Godfrey for such a good price leaves a little leeway on the White deal. Both will retain and even gain value as both are young and top quality.

3 hours ago, c1982 said:

Regarding the price - £70-£75m for Godfrey and White seems quite reasonable to me in the current market. The fact that we got Godfrey for such a good price leaves a little leeway on the White deal. Both will retain and even gain value as both are young and top quality.

The difference is only that we got Godfrey before the hype. Too late for that with White now. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

The difference is only that we got Godfrey before the hype. Too late for that with White now. 

Yep - was too late last summer for White too. I remember Leeds tried but Brighton weren’t shifting at £30m+. Class player who will only get better.

• 2 weeks later...