IGNORED

Southampton (away) February 19

Btay

1 minute ago, Newty82 said:

Gonna be relying on the home form and the noise of Goodison to see us through this season.

I thought that before the Leeds game, I think the away games will be a write off and we'll just need to hope that home form can see us through. 

Results not going our way this weekend is quite scary, especially with a few games coming up against big teams. I just don't see (even with home advantage) how we take anything from Manchester City.

5 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Am I seeing this correctly? We're playing Newcastle on the 17th of March and then Watford on the 19th?

Was gonna say, those two will be massive games but if we're only getting one day off in-between, they could be disastrous for us

At least the second match is against Watford. If it was the other way around, we’d be in serious trouble.

We started that game so well, exactly as I hoped we would. Eager to get on the ball, moving it around quickly and with purpose, creating openings even though our final ball wasn't the best. Southampton came into the game after they settled, which you'd expect, but I thought we were right in that game at half time.

Second half... that was an unacceptable performance from pretty much every single player out there and as soon as Southampton scored we were dead. It was the same against Newcastle and we've got to sort that brittleness out away from home and we need to do it quickly so that we are at least picking up a few draws and adding to our points even if we aren't winning.

46 minutes ago, Harv said:

Getting serious now.

I think Norwich and Watford will be relegated but Burnley can crawl out of the relegation places. Newcastle have hit some  form. Leeds are on the slide and we are right there along side.

Brentford are on the slide and we have a bunch of games in hand over them. I'm not worried, we're obviously in a bad state but we're not going to be relegated and next season under Frank will be far better than this one. 

Well that was a bit of a disappointment. We started so brightly, full of energy, and we were pressing them really high up the pitch. Soton only really had counter attacks for the first 20 minutes and I only recall one of them being of any danger.

Our pressing levels dropped off, our quality on the ball fell off a cliff and Soton gradually turned the screw and they carried the bigger threat. When Allan came off and Gomes came on we lost all shape in midfield. I was hugely disappointed in DVB. He was a ghost. He gets credit for always making himself available but when he did get the ball he was popping a 5 yard ball here and there like it was a training drill even when he had the time to get his head up and play. His recovery effort was also a big concern for me too, highlighted in the first goal. I was looking forward to seeing him in the flesh but I was massively underwhelmed. He was still streets better than Gomes though who was an actual liability. 

At this point Soton had full control. We had no midfield whatsoever and all we did was go long. Dom won a few balls but there was no control and as our midfield had been pushed back, we didnt win very many second balls. Even when we did, the next pass, or next touch generally ended in a turnover. It was a bit embarrasing. Credit goes to Soton for never giving us a moments peace. 

The reaction to the goal was the biggest disappointment. We conceded a fairly deep free kick and I was struck by the reaction of our players. Gomes, DVB, Richarlison and Kenny all turned, back to the ball heads down and walked back. The only two I clearly remember not acting like that were Keane and Pickford who were trying to organise things. It was 1-0 with plenty of time to go. Instead of being fired up, they had given up. 

The second goal just summed up our afternoon. Really poor quality, off the pace and out fought.

I am really surprised Lampard didnt change anything and then when he made a sub they actually made the side and performance worse and not better. 

14 hours ago, Harv said:

Getting serious now.

I think Norwich and Watford will be relegated but Burnley can crawl out of the relegation places. Newcastle have hit some  form. Leeds are on the slide and we are right there along side.

Don't count out Palace being drawn in as well. We're 4 points behind them with 2 games in hand, and they haven't won in the league since the end of December. 

Think this is fixing up to be one of the more exciting relegation battles in recent memory. Just wish we were able to watch comfortably from farther up the table 😑