IGNORED

James Garner

8 hours ago, Hafnia said:

keep him in midfield - the only player with a bit of bottle in there to try and play it and create.  Coleman needs to come back at right back.

Most of the time I’d say yes. The last few weeks I think his bottle has gone and he’s been hiding when he can. And I hate to say that about any player, but it’s just how he’s looked. Literally hiding behind a player instead of being open for a pass. I hope it doesn’t last as he’s the only midfielder who can pass a ball who will play regularly. 

I feel there’s a few issues around the pitch that are contributing to these performances.

For starters, the long ball from Pickford & Tarks - as a CM you just start to expect it to be pumped over your head so you look for the second balls.

Secondly, our wingers are forever coming inside.  This is making the centre of the pitch to busy & difficult to play forward.

Thirdly, Doucoure as the second striker/AM - can’t fault his work rate one bit but so much play breaks down when played in to his feet.

Garner needs to step up & hasn’t been at his best of late but we look a much better football team when he is on the ball in centre mid. Especially when he finds the pocket of space & we can break the line. I’d keep him in CM, get an actual RB who can offer something on the ball.

Eventually I would like to see some in second striker who can find space, receive the ball and use it effectively. This isn’t me bagging out Doucoure as he is vital to us but he has his strengths & weaknesses.

4 hours ago, Btay said:

I feel there’s a few issues around the pitch that are contributing to these performances.

For starters, the long ball from Pickford & Tarks - as a CM you just start to expect it to be pumped over your head so you look for the second balls.

Secondly, our wingers are forever coming inside.  This is making the centre of the pitch to busy & difficult to play forward.

Thirdly, Doucoure as the second striker/AM - can’t fault his work rate one bit but so much play breaks down when played in to his feet.

Garner needs to step up & hasn’t been at his best of late but we look a much better football team when he is on the ball in centre mid. Especially when he finds the pocket of space & we can break the line. I’d keep him in CM, get an actual RB who can offer something on the ball.

Eventually I would like to see some in second striker who can find space, receive the ball and use it effectively. This isn’t me bagging out Doucoure as he is vital to us but he has his strengths & weaknesses.

Agree with you, Btay. As I pointed out in the Dyche thread, playing an effective counter is quite tricky when certain things are not working.

And add team chemistry to it, too.

12 hours ago, StevO said:

Most of the time I’d say yes. The last few weeks I think his bottle has gone and he’s been hiding when he can. And I hate to say that about any player, but it’s just how he’s looked. Literally hiding behind a player instead of being open for a pass. I hope it doesn’t last as he’s the only midfielder who can pass a ball who will play regularly. 

There is just rust in all the technical players.... the reason is cos they are playing non football. 

its like anything - repetition hones in sharpness.  The only thing we repeat is tarks and Pickford lumping it up.  The midfield are like some supporting act.  

its no surprise that we aren't looking sharp in front of goal, players are being told to do a job you would expect from sheff United last night.  It's just horrible.   I hope thelwell is scoping every manager in world football right now. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

There is just rust in all the technical players.... the reason is cos they are playing non football. 

its like anything - repetition hones in sharpness.  The only thing we repeat is tarks and Pickford lumping it up.  The midfield are like some supporting act.  

its no surprise that we aren't looking sharp in front of goal, players are being told to do a job you would expect from sheff United last night.  It's just horrible.   I hope thelwell is scoping every manager in world football right now. 

We repeatedly misplace short passes too. For years in fact!

5 hours ago, Matt said:

And those are very important. With a misplaced long pass you at least have a little more time to correct for the mistake. With short passes, not so much.

10 hours ago, Matt said:

For as long as I can remember I've sat in Goodison Park watching us and thought "why can't these dick heads pass to each other? What do they do in training?"

It comes down to a lack of footballing intelligence. We do not have enough players that possess it. 

11 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

For as long as I can remember I've sat in Goodison Park watching us and thought "why can't these dick heads pass to each other? What do they do in training?"

It comes down to a lack of footballing intelligence. We do not have enough players that possess it. 

It's alright, repetition hones sharpness. It'll click eventually  

:P

• 5 weeks later...