IGNORED

James Garner

15 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

He played RB for us, so it was hardly a Carsley discovery.

Fair point he may have had 1 or 2 appearances at RB for us, I do remember 1 because he played so well, so maybe he could become recognised as a top class RB. 

I don't see RB being his position.

From what I saw of England he could play in that role because he played the position in a similar way that Arsenal/City/TAA now play the position, i.e lots of possession and moving into midfield. 

I don't see those type of tactics being able to be copied under Dyche for all that he did well up against Bournemouth as a wingback.

• 1 month later...

Unpopular I know, but Garner has been the most disappointing player for me so far this season. 
He showed glimpses last year that suggested he was going to be a very good player for us this season.

And honestly, I’m very underwhelmed. He seems to be playing within himself. Very safe. I know it’s early and I still like him as a player…. But it hasn’t taken him long to fall into the Everton averageness! 

8 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Unpopular I know, but Garner has been the most disappointing player for me so far this season. 
He showed glimpses last year that suggested he was going to be a very good player for us this season.

And honestly, I’m very underwhelmed. He seems to be playing within himself. Very safe. I know it’s early and I still like him as a player…. But it hasn’t taken him long to fall into the Everton averageness! 

He's only just settling into a regular starting position. Personally I've thought he's been one of the positives so far. 

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

He's only just settling into a regular starting position. Personally I've thought he's been one of the positives so far. 

I know mate and that’s why I’m giving him time. I think maybe I fell into the same old trap of expectation. 

I just think there are times when I want him to progress forward, and he chooses the old safe option of going backwards to keep possession. I also thought he would be better at set pieces as well and give us an option there. But so far his shooting has been on par with his namesake.

I would expect he is a confidence player and once we score he may settle a bit.

2 minutes ago, StevO said:

Playing out wide isn’t his game. We need to see him back in the middle of the park. 

This 100%.

He doesn't have the attributes to be playing there. He showed what he was all about when Doucoure managed to fuck that headed chance up - drifted into the middle of the park and put in a brilliant ball.

I dont think playing out wide is a good enough excuse for his performances because he does tuck in. It's not like he is playing as a winger, it is more like a wide central midfielder. Plus, his best performance for us was as a right wing back.

I am not sure he is a player that has the potential to control a game on his own, that player is Onana. Garner will need support around him. He clearly has quality on the ball and he played a couple of really nice passes. The rest of his game just hasn't been at the levels I would expect of him based on the end of last season. 

It might just be a slight headache following on from the summer WC combined with the change in position.

43 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I dont think playing out wide is a good enough excuse for his performances because he does tuck in. It's not like he is playing as a winger, it is more like a wide central midfielder. Plus, his best performance for us was as a right wing back.

Though I agree with this, when he tucks inside (which he will naturally do as a central midfielder) the centre of the park becomes over crowded and we don’t make anything of it. It also leaves us open on our right hand side, and leaves us with little threat out there. We need a player out there wanting to get chalk on their boots, and we need someone inside who can actually pass a ball. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Though I agree with this, when he tucks inside (which he will naturally do as a central midfielder) the centre of the park becomes over crowded and we don’t make anything of it. It also leaves us open on our right hand side, and leaves us with little threat out there. We need a player out there wanting to get chalk on their boots, and we need someone inside who can actually pass a ball. 

I'm agreeing with you a lot lately.

I'm still not going to embed tweets for you though.

4 hours ago, StevO said:

I agree that we need a player that can offer genuine width, albeit Dyche seems to like players cutting inside, however I am not sure how much of an inconvenience it will be to Garner. Where Doucoure pushes forward so quickly, it is still a 3 man midfield. I don't think he gets a lot of help from Patterson though, some of his simple passing is really poor but then in the same breath, Garner also leaves Patterson quite exposed defensively.

I don't really see what benefit there is to the team by playing that way.

• 4 weeks later...

He gave us a lot of control in that inside right position. I didnt think he did too much of note, but he just made a lot of good decisions on and off the ball that others in the position wouldn't have. 

I'm still not sure how much I would want him as a holding midfielder though. He will need someone a lot more physical and/or aggressive alongside him.

Much better from him yesterday. He has been disappointing to this point. But yesterday I thought he was calm when needed to be and has started passing the forward. That’s exactly what we need. 
Like Bailey said, nothing that stood out as such, but seemed to look after the ball better. 

And a nice through ball for Doms goal.

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Much better from him yesterday. He has been disappointing to this point. But yesterday I thought he was calm when needed to be and has started passing the forward. That’s exactly what we need. 
Like Bailey said, nothing that stood out as such, but seemed to look after the ball better. 

And a nice through ball for Doms goal.

Play him central and we may see more of the good things he did yesterday… which were central 

10 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Play him central and we may see more of the good things he did yesterday… which were central 

Exactly this. It reminds me of when Moyes would shoehorn a CM in at RM just to get them in the team. He’s our best player on the ball - no doubt. At the moment we are a very physical team with little technical ability, Garner will he crucial if we are to ever transition to a team who can move the ball/retain possession.

On 24/09/2023 at 19:05, Bailey said:

He gave us a lot of control in that inside right position. I didnt think he did too much of note, but he just made a lot of good decisions on and off the ball that others in the position wouldn't have. 

I'm still not sure how much I would want him as a holding midfielder though. He will need someone a lot more physical and/or aggressive alongside him.

What do you mean by "not much of note"  are you referring to the game overall?

his slide rule pass for DCL was brilliant. He also delivered somE great crosses.

4 minutes ago, Goodison Glory said:

his slide rule pass for DCL was brilliant. He also delivered somE great crosses.

Not to mention he won the ball back. He's a proper Barry player in the making; doing so much of the simple stuff to enable the others. 

On 25/09/2023 at 19:32, Goodison Glory said:

Yeh it was a great pass, not sure he did much cross wise from open play.

Its the rest of the 90 minutes where he was relatively quiet. Tidy enough, and I thought he was tactically very good on the right but Id worry that if plays through the middle you will lose a little bit of energy and bite. That's not to say he isnt afraid to get stuck in but I just feel we are a bit more passive defensively with him compared to the others. If we had the ball more in midfield then his technical ability would outweigh that. 

It's not a strong opinion, just a feeling I see him in there. Long term and with the right partner, it will definitely be his position.

I agree with Bailey. Very tidy without doing anything special. Not to say that’s a bad thing though, he had a good game.

But I do worry that when we played him in the middle a few games ago, he was a passenger. Had his worst game for us. He needs that space out wide. 
He could play in the middle, but not central. He needs someone doing the graft for him smack bang in the middle.