IGNORED

James Garner

10 hours ago, Shukes said:

I agree with Bailey. Very tidy without doing anything special. Not to say that’s a bad thing though, he had a good game.

But I do worry that when we played him in the middle a few games ago, he was a passenger. Had his worst game for us. He needs that space out wide. 
He could play in the middle, but not central. He needs someone doing the graft for him smack bang in the middle.

I don't get it....not doing anything special....I mean he's not Ronaldo or anything but I think in a results-oriented industry, 2 contributions in a game (an assist and delivery from a set piece that led to another goal) is not something I'd call "nothing of note"....the rest of his play may have been nondescript, but he didn't make many mistakes and certainly none that led to goals...I'll take that balance everyday of the week, regardless of where he plays.

34 minutes ago, Goodison Glory said:

I don't get it....not doing anything special....I mean he's not Ronaldo or anything but I think in a results-oriented industry, 2 contributions in a game (an assist and delivery from a set piece that led to another goal) is not something I'd call "nothing of note"....the rest of his play may have been nondescript, but he didn't make many mistakes and certainly none that led to goals...I'll take that balance everyday of the week, regardless of where he plays.

Nothing to get mate. 

It’s ok to say someone had a good game without doing anything special other than a good through ball. 

Not every assist has to be an amazing piece of football either. 
Take the cross. It doesn’t go to Tarks does it, Tarks has to move backwards to be able to get it down.  It was a simple ball into a dangerous area and hope someone gets onto the end of it. Good play without being anything special.

The through ball to Dom was his best bit  the whole game and it produced a goal. Which is why it’s been mentioned above.

You say the rest of his game may have been nondescript, and you would take that balance any day.

So would I, so would I. Don’t try so hard to look for a negative. There wasn’t one in my post. I was just pointing out that I don’t feel he did anything special. Special for me would be Grays goal against Arsenal.

16 hours ago, Shukes said:

I thought Onana alongside him also had his best performance of the season as well. Love to see him turn and drive forward. 
One player performing can easily motivate others.

The 2 complimented each other nicely, it was chalk & cheese to their earlier performance together. Hopefully we get more of the performances we saw at Villa than Doncaster from them, dominated it.

If garner can consistently play that well in the middle of the field, we actually have lots of flexibility to run different formations if the opposition calls for it. Options in the middle, wide, and two first team quality attackers with another capable sub. This season will still be wildly inconsistent but this is the first time I’ve been remotely excited about our squad in a while. 

On 27/09/2023 at 22:09, Matt said:

For all the praise Branthwaite is getting, and justifiably so,  Garner is the one I'm most excited about. I can see him doing a Seamus. 

Don’t worry. One error that leads to a goal and there will be calls for Branthwaite to be loaned to Ipswich. :)

The truth is that we have several young players who can help build the core of our future team, and I hope we add to the list in the coming windows. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

A lot of the time I don't really notice him. I don't mean that as a criticism, he just goes about his job with no fuss.

He reminds me of McCarthy in that sense.

I was talking to lads I know who said they used to have a knock about in Eastham I think lyndale youth club…. Played on it a few times it’s on the edge of the council estate.  

they are 8 years older than him but he was a primary school kid and they were secondary school teenagers. He took part in their kick about and they couldn’t get over how a kid aged 7/8 was literally killing a ball stone dead and passing it like an adult with composure,  Natural ability.

Thats the thing I see. He’s that type of player you can give the ball to anywhere and you know he will look after it, James Rodriguez springs to mind there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, badaids said:

Doing a great job this lad, when you consider his age and experience. Never shirks, always hustling and about the most composed we have. Bloody hell we’d miss him if he was injured or suspended.

I lurk on NSNO and they are a lot less appreciative of him as most are on here :lol:.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

What the fuck has happened to him?

Fucking awful today and the last goal summed up his performance. Think he needs benching for a few games for his own good

I don’t know, but maybe Shukes is right put him out on the right wing, where he can whip some decent crosses in and won’t be so much of a danger by losing the ball in dangerous areas, that way we can drop Harrison and but Gomes in the centre of midfield, he’s more capable and doesn’t give the ball away so easily. 

On 04/02/2024 at 15:11, badaids said:

Doing a great job this lad, when you consider his age and experience. Never shirks, always hustling and about the most composed we have. Bloody hell we’d miss him if he was injured or suspended.

You fucking broke him. Thanks for that!! 
He’s been crap since you posted this. 😂

13 hours ago, Palfy said:

I don’t know, but maybe Shukes is right put him out on the right wing, where he can whip some decent crosses in and won’t be so much of a danger by losing the ball in dangerous areas, that way we can drop Harrison and but Gomes in the centre of midfield, he’s more capable and doesn’t give the ball away so easily. 

I’d do that, but drop McNeil and give Harrison a go on the left. 

5 hours ago, StevO said:

I’d do that, but drop McNeil and give Harrison a go on the left. 

Maybe why not, but sending the same players on week in week out when injuries allow, isn’t really trying to look at different ideas to find someone that will work. 

6 hours ago, StevO said:

You fucking broke him. Thanks for that!! 
He’s been crap since you posted this. 😂

It's not me, it's his face.  I don't understand it.  He's got a massive head covered in face, this sort of Easter Island head crossed with a 16th century Franciscan Monk. So blame that. He got an assist though yesterday, for which I will take full credit.