IGNORED

James Garner

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Definitely sounds more Manc than being from here!

I shouldn't be surprised really because kids can pick up accents quite easily and he did move there at 12/13 to be closer to training.

He looks better in blue and now he's at a better club 😛.

I think living away from your home town mates etc is probably a good thing. Loads of lads become celebrities before they make it. 

Wonder if he will be Wirral based or Liverpool

14 hours ago, RuffRob said:

Everything you read about him makes you wonder why United let him go. Seems highly thought off by a lot of people and a lot are suprises he has been allowed to leave and that we have had him for a very good price. He could quite easy become this season 'Gallagher'.

I also find this a bit strange as Ten Haag has involved a few young players too. He was clearly well down the pecking list.

I do think you need to take fans comments with a pinch of salt when it comes to youngsters coming through. A good section of people on here would still be calling for Baningime to start for us.

A quick look at the EFL team of the season and it was his teammate Yates that got in the side ahead of him. I appreciate that is very subjective!

I haven't seen him play so I could be miles off but based on the decisions that have been made about him, I imagine he fits between the starting 11 (now - Gueye, Onana, Iwobi) and the likes of Warrington coming through. I can't wait to see how he develops over the season.

34 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I also find this a bit strange as Ten Haag has involved a few young players too. He was clearly well down the pecking list.

I do think you need to take fans comments with a pinch of salt when it comes to youngsters coming through. A good section of people on here would still be calling for Baningime to start for us.

A quick look at the EFL team of the season and it was his teammate Yates that got in the side ahead of him. I appreciate that is very subjective!

I haven't seen him play so I could be miles off but based on the decisions that have been made about him, I imagine he fits between the starting 11 (now - Gueye, Onana, Iwobi) and the likes of Warrington coming through. I can't wait to see how he develops over the season.

Poor example, most couldn't spell his name 

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

A bit different though. Baningime had only made a couple of sun appearances at most. Garner has been a regular for Forest in a promotion push.

He isn’t a prospect, he is a capable first team player.

32 minutes ago, Bailey said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beni_Baningime

If you are referring to this occasion, I'll await your unreserved apology 😜

Though I do concede that I Googled it before I posted 🤣

If its about every other time I have tried and failed then, yes you have me! 

My sincere apologies - but I shall now be watching with eagle eyes! :)

41 minutes ago, Shukes said:

A bit different though. Baningime had only made a couple of sun appearances at most. Garner has been a regular for Forest in a promotion push.

He isn’t a prospect, he is a capable first team player.

I agree but United's midfield is also a step up on ours too. How many lads having a good season in the Championship go on to have a first team spot at United? 

Its all relative. Fans love one of their own, until they come in and disappoint and then they hate them 🤣

On 02/09/2022 at 00:05, MikeO said:

Can I just say that my dentist as a kid was called Mr Garner, he was an absolute sadist who thoroughly enjoyed inflicting pain on children.

After I'd grown up it came ro my attention that he was also a scout leader and a little later a convicted paedophile.

I promise not to hold this against James.

My great great grandma was a Garner from Fleetwood. He might be one of mine. 

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

Short but impactful debut. Here’s a question. Let’s say Garner pushes into the 1st team lineup this year or next. Whose place is he taking? What position is he now a backup for?

Agree, got over his initial stagefright extremely quickly.

If Gana plays like that again its a straight swap. I think Onana should be looking over his shoulder too. 

I seen enough from him to suggest he can do a job right now and essentially if one of gana, Iwobi or Onana is not on their game then he comes on immediately….. not a last 20 minutes job, he is good enough to put serious pressure on the starting midfielders and we haven’t had this in years.

very very optimistic about him. I would be tempted to try him on the right hand side and Dwight on the left when Patterson is back.  If you have 2 wide players with great delivery and defensive discipline it could be a huge weapon when dcl is playing 

10 minutes ago, Matt said:

Agree, got over his initial stagefright extremely quickly.

If Gana plays like that again its a straight swap. I think Onana should be looking over his shoulder too. 

Both had a few bad moments in the game for sure. I would stick with Onana though because what he does good, it’s really good. Gana hasn’t hit the heights of his liverpool debut, sadly.

Positive is that Garner looks ready to contribute and I’m looking forward to him getting more minutes.

I think he could do a job anywhere in midfield for us, and as injuries pop up I am sure we will start to see him become the go to replacement for all three of those currently starting.

It's going to be a  case then of making yourself undroppable. 

I think we saw a reminder last night that our team and midfield in particular is very much a work in progress and there will be bumps in the road. 

The experience and class of the Utd midfield really showed last night. Fernández, Eriksen and Cassamero. 

I think we are growing and I am sure over the next 18months Garner will be a big part of this. 

4 hours ago, RuffRob said:

I think he could do a job anywhere in midfield for us, and as injuries pop up I am sure we will start to see him become the go to replacement for all three of those currently starting.

It's going to be a  case then of making yourself undroppable. 

I think we saw a reminder last night that our team and midfield in particular is very much a work in progress and there will be bumps in the road. 

The experience and class of the Utd midfield really showed last night. Fernández, Eriksen and Cassamero. 

I think we are growing and I am sure over the next 18months Garner will be a big part of this. 

Good post. It’s just curious to me as I think we have basically 4 box to box types in Iwobi, Onana, Doucoure, Garner. Who fills the Gana role If need be? Who plays farthest forward? Do we bring in a true attacking midfielder? 

I trust Frank to figure it out but it’s all a bit uncertain from the outside looking in.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...