IGNORED

James Garner

Agree with Bailey. Onana should be being brought in to be the replacement for Gana. Gana is best shielding that back four and keeping passes simple. The ten years gives, that many of our players struggle with. Onana needs to learn this and take that spot. 

Garner can then play with a little more freedom and play in that hole ten yards further up. Best tactics are always to play the game in the opposition half. We haven’t really saw it much yet, but Garner can shoot. Onana has shown that he is worse than Gana when it comes to shooting.

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Agree with Bailey. Onana should be being brought in to be the replacement for Gana. Gana is best shielding that back four and keeping passes simple. The ten years gives, that many of our players struggle with. Onana needs to learn this and take that spot. 

Garner can then play with a little more freedom and play in that hole ten yards further up. Best tactics are always to play the game in the opposition half. We haven’t really saw it much yet, but Garner can shoot. Onana has shown that he is worse than Gana when it comes to shooting.

That's a pretty damming verdict on Onana because gana has had a couple of shots the past few weeks that wouldn't look out of place in Rugby League!

2 hours ago, Shukes said:

I know we lack pace but that's a little harsh.

4 hours ago, Goodison Glory said:

That's a pretty damming verdict on Onana because gana has had a couple of shots the past few weeks that wouldn't look out of place in Rugby League!

Ye his shooting has been a bit embarrassing so far. Hoping it’s a confidence thing and that if he can get a goal he will relax a bit. 
So far though he has been terrible. Even if he gets it on target…. The goals has time to do a few kick ups with it.

On 06/05/2023 at 10:45, Goodison Glory said:

Somehow we have three players with the athleticism to play from box-to-box who could be a real threat in the final third but when it comes to composure and technique at striking a ball they are shocking! 

Doucoure and Onana in particular have the potential to chip in 10 goals a season breaking into the box if they were half decent finishers. 

17 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Maturity, ticks a lot of boxes.  Reminds me of Gareth Barry. 

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

Yeah, I get that vibe and physique. Needs to bulk up a bit more but he's going to be a big player for us.

Think he'll be like Barry and McCarthy in that you won't really notice him but he'll be a key cog, keeping us ticking over.

He definitely looks to have the quality of somebody who could become a mainstay in our midfield. A good age having just turned 22. 

Nice to see him get a run of games after what has probably been a frustrating season for him. Currently a very high pressure environment for him to perform in and he is doing a job for us.

I am looking forward to seeing some set pieces from him - he supposed to have a very good free kick on him. Could maybe do with one in the next few weeks. 

• 3 weeks later...

I mentioned a while back, he reminds me of Gareth Barry,  he has that awareness, composure, technical competence to be trusted to take the ball in tight areas.   

his head is up all the time so he has a good picture in his head so when he moves the ball he knows where to go, whether it’s a pass or to carry. 

id sell Onana for the reputed £60m because if we need the money then that represents the best way of doing it. Garner is a player to build around. 

You wouldn't have known he's not a right back or right wing back. He played so well and I can't remember him putting a foot wrong.

I'm taking some credit for him being an Everton player by the way. Soon as he signed his pro deal with United I was constantly saying to his family "tell him to get to Everton". Then repeated it when we kept getting linked with a move for him and it actually sounded as though the interest was real and not just paper talk.

Obviously I'm joking and I had no influence whatsoever but I'm having it anyway :lol:.

I like Garner a lot he’s definitely a footballer in the sense of how he plays and reads the game, also he is very versatile which could be bad news for him but good news for his manager. I personally would like to see him have a good run at being in central position further up field to see if he has the strengths to make that his permanent position. I think as a team the players around him would benefit greatly from his vision and ability on the ball, they would be more confident in making runs knowing they are likely to receive the ball, where as now they make a run get left hanging and look out of position, I would like him to get the opportunity to see if he is the man to unlock defences, or just a good all rounder. 

On 29/05/2023 at 09:38, Romey 1878 said:

You wouldn't have known he's not a right back or right wing back. He played so well and I can't remember him putting a foot wrong.

This was the most impressive bit about his performance. When I watched his first few games I was worried about his defensive ability but that show on Sunday was impeccable and he is really shining under Dyche. You probably wont like this comparison, but I see him as a bit like our Ward-Prowse. Really impressive technical ability, a good head on his shoulders and the rest of his all round game is solid.

Just now, Bailey said:

This was the most impressive bit about his performance. When I watched his first few games I was worried about his defensive ability but that show on Sunday was impeccable and he is really shining under Dyche. You probably wont like this comparison, but I see him as a bit like our Ward-Prowse. Really impressive technical ability, a good head on his shoulders and the rest of his all round game is solid.

Wash your mouth out!

8 hours ago, Bailey said:

100% see him as a Ward-Prowse who I think is a very good player. Head is always up scanning for options, can strike a moving & dead ball. Very promising signs from him & hopefully next year he doesn’t have any injuries.

• 3 weeks later...