IGNORED

Newcastle (Away) 19th October

Btay

Quick turnaround in between games for this one. 1 day less for Newcastle, so we should be the fresher team but it hasn’t looked that way the last 2 games.

Isak & Saint-Maxim out for them. I think Coady and Tarks can manage Wilson, we just need to watch trippier. Onana should have a good battle in midfield against Joelinton.

We may need to freshen things up a little bit. Garner could start in place of Gueye, Gordon for Mcneil & hopefully DCL for 60 minutes or so. 

Pickford

Coleman?  Coady   Tarkowski   Myko

Onana 

Garner                  Iwobi 

Gordon                DCL                 Gray

33 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

I think Btay’s selection makes sense, as Gana has not looked solid the last 2 matches, and IF Onana will actually play DCM exclusively, staying back, letting the forward movement play through Iwobi and Garner.

As to rotating Coleman out and the ? in Btay’s lineup, I favor using Doucouré there.  

In regards to Coleman - I simply don’t know who to put there. Patterson, Godfrey & Holgate are probably out still. I’d any of them in that order fill in. As for Doucoure, I don’t see him as a RB at all to be honest. I would put Iwobi there and play either Doucoure box to box or Mcneil more advanced.

1 hour ago, Btay said:

In regards to Coleman - I simply don’t know who to put there. Patterson, Godfrey & Holgate are probably out still. I’d any of them in that order fill in. As for Doucoure, I don’t see him as a RB at all to be honest. I would put Iwobi there and play either Doucoure box to box or Mcneil more advanced.

You would completely destroy the shape of the team to replace one player who wasn't the worst player in the team on the day, Stick with your initial line up that made more sense your now over thinking it. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

You would completely destroy the shape of the team to replace one player who wasn't the worst player in the team on the day, Stick with your initial line up that made more sense your now over thinking it. 

It doesn’t change the shape at all… It’s not so much performance related but the question mark is can he play 2/3 games a week.

4 hours ago, Btay said:

I think there's a good chance Holgate will be back for this. I'd play him there for sure because Coleman is who teams target first, and I don't blame them.

16 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I think there's a good chance Holgate will be back for this. I'd play him there for sure because Coleman is who teams target first, and I don't blame them.

Hope so and I agree mate. Just unfortunate that Patterson got injured along with 2 guys who could help out in that role.

26 minutes ago, Btay said:

It doesn’t change the shape at all… It’s not so much performance related but the question mark is can he play 2/3 games a week.

So you would take the only consistent player in the team who is the most creative player going forward with the most assists, and stick him out wide as a RWB just to find away of dropping Coleman, and expect Doucoure to fill Iwobi's boots. 

9 minutes ago, Palfy said:

So you would take the only consistent player in the team who is the most creative player going forward with the most assists, and stick him out wide as a RWB just to find away of dropping Coleman, and expect Doucoure to fill Iwobi's boots. 

Yes. If Coleman hasn’t got the legs for a midweek game & as mentioned above of Holgate isn’t back. I 100% would put Iwobi there as he is the best option for the team after Patterson, Coleman, Holgate & Godfrey.

Edit- I haven’t seen enough of Garner to say but he could possibly do a job as well.

44 minutes ago, Btay said:

Yes. If Coleman hasn’t got the legs for a midweek game & as mentioned above of Holgate isn’t back. I 100% would put Iwobi there as he is the best option for the team after Patterson, Coleman, Holgate & Godfrey.

Edit- I haven’t seen enough of Garner to say but he could possibly do a job as well.

Pleased 😀 you aren't the manager, doing that takes away the one real threat we have as a team, stop making the same mistakes as our last few managers of constantly setting up to not lose without looking at how to win, fuck this 5 at back bollocks and all stupid permutations of who to play where, and pick a 433 with your best available for the position they play in. 

Just to add I would play that system home or away City or Forest and let the team develop and gel together and learn from their losses and get stronger from their wins, chopping and changing personnel and systems doesn't work for a team that lacks credible players in the right places. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Pleased 😀 you aren't the manager, doing that takes away the one real threat we have as a team, stop making the same mistakes as our last few managers of constantly setting up to not lose without looking at how to win, fuck this 5 at back bollocks and all stupid permutations of who to play where, and pick a 433 with your best available for the position they play in. 

Just to add I would play that system home or away City or Forest and let the team develop and gel together and learn from their losses and get stronger from their wins, chopping and changing personnel and systems doesn't work for a team that lacks credible players in the right places. 

This is the whole point you daft bastard if Coleman isn’t able to back up after a few days we don’t have anyone for the this position unless Holgate is fit.

16 minutes ago, Btay said:

This is the whole point you daft bastard if Coleman isn’t able to back up after a few days we don’t have anyone for the this position unless Holgate is fit.

But Coleman isn't injured so you don't bomb him and rip the heart out of the centre of the team just to drop him, when he can still do a decent job, he wasn't our worst player against Spurs you have fixated yourself on him as the player to change if we want to be better, and in doing so you take the only bit of hope we have at the moment from a role he is dominating in and push him out as RWB. Seriously who's the daft bastard. 

2 minutes ago, Palfy said:

But Coleman isn't injured so you don't bomb him and rip the heart out of the centre of the team just to drop him, when he can still do a decent job, he wasn't our worst player against Spurs you have fixated yourself on him as the player to change if we want to be better, and in doing so you take the only bit of hope we have at the moment from a role he is dominating in and push him out as RWB. Seriously who's the daft bastard. 

Nah you’re right, let’s expect a 34 year old who’s already leggy on his best day to bomb up and down the wing 3 games a week. 

1 minute ago, Btay said:

Nah you’re right, let’s expect a 34 year old who’s already leggy on his best day to bomb up and down the wing 3 games a week. 

He will cope because he's a professional who has looked after himself, we even buy 33 year olds and stick them in the midfield didn't here you moan about that you actually endorsed it, Coleman will cope if fit and do his job. 

Just now, Palfy said:

He will cope because he's a professional who has looked after himself, we even buy 33 year olds and stick them in the midfield didn't here you moan about that you actually endorsed it, Coleman will cope if fit and do his job. 

Well you’re completely missing the point now. I think you’ll find I suggested to rest Gana for the same reasons, it’s just easier because he has a like for like replacement.

11 minutes ago, Btay said:

Well you’re completely missing the point now. I think you’ll find I suggested to rest Gana for the same reasons, it’s just easier because he has a like for like replacement.

Now we are getting somewhere, Coleman isn't injured and you don't have a fit natural replacement yet you want to drop him and stick our most productive player in his position 😫

This whole debate originated from a discussion about if Coleman needed to be rotated and who would potentially replace him.

You don’t seem to be able to differentiate between dropping and resting players which is why we are going around in circles. 

If Coleman plays, I’ll be backing him as much as anyone but I will be very surprised if I’m the only one concerned about him backing up for midweek games these days.

14 minutes ago, Btay said:

This whole debate originated from a discussion about if Coleman needed to be rotated and who would potentially replace him.

If Coleman plays, I’ll be backing him as much as anyone but I will be very surprised if I’m the only one concerned about him backing up for midweek games these days.

Agree with Btay.  I am partly responsible for the drift of this thread, as I responded to Btay’s original “?” re Coleman against Newcastle.

I am a Coleman fan.  He’s been my favorite player all his career.  But clearly his fitness to play 90+ minutes even once a week, much less twice, is in great doubt.

i’ve no objection to his starting against Newcastle, and it appears there may be absolutely no logical replacement, as Holgate did not even make the bench against Spurs.

I do not favor Iwobi being moved to RB or even RWB at any point in any match, unless he begins to look incompetent at ACM, which seems unlikely.  He’s been our best player, and I fear Lampard is making a mistake using him on the right.

Am I alone in thinking I remember Doucouré playing there once or twice in the second half last season?  If literally no one else remembers this, then I’m simply wrong.  But if he has briefly played there, I see him as temporarily — against Newcastle, not beyond that — an option to replace Coleman early in the second half, on 55 -60 minutes.

Further, I’d honestly like to see Doucouré get on the pitch, but think he’s not likely to be more valuable than Garner going forward.  Perhaps he can help us, temporarily, in relief of Coleman.

Pickford

Coleman   Coady    Tarkowski    Myko

Gana    

Onana              Iwobi 

Gordon                Maupy               Gray

For me if we don't have enforced changes its best trying to get the same team out if possible and not tweak around the edges to be doing something different just for the sake of it. I don't think DCL is quite ready to start a match - another week or so for me before he gets a starting berth. In an ideal world he is a starter, but I would f8cking hate to see him pull up again.

We need to remember this 'team' real is only half a dozen games together.

• Newcastle have won three of their past four Premier League games against Everton (L1), as many as they had in their previous 17. However, they did lose the last such meeting 1-0 in March.

• After a run of eight wins in nine Premier League games against Newcastle between 2013 and 2018, Everton have won just two of their subsequent eight against the Magpies (D2 L4).

• Newcastle have won two of their past three Premier League games on a Wednesday (L1), having won just one of their previous 24 such fixtures beforehand (D5 L18).

• Everton are winless in their past six midweek (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday) Premier League away games (D4 L2), having won each of their past five in a row before this.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:
  • Newcastle have won three of their past four Premier League games against Everton (L1), as many as they had in their previous 17. However, they did lose the last such meeting 1-0 in March.

• After a run of eight wins in nine Premier League games against Newcastle between 2013 and 2018, Everton have won just two of their subsequent eight against the Magpies (D2 L4).

• Newcastle have won two of their past three Premier League games on a Wednesday (L1), having won just one of their previous 24 such fixtures beforehand (D5 L18).

• Everton are winless in their past six midweek (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday) Premier League away games (D4 L2), having won each of their past five in a row before this.

Stats seems to suggest we’ve been rather shit the last few years… who’d have thought it

Personally I wouldn't fancy Holgate to do much better than Coleman.

I also wouldn't want Iwobi to be moved out of his best position especially as we need his creativity. 

I hadn't realised ASM was out so that is a big bonus as from what I have read about Newcastle they are dominating games at home but have lacked a spark to break down stubborn teams. 

They have been one of the best teams in the league this season so if we get anything from this game it will be a real bonus. 

Their end to last season and start to this is a real credit to Howe. When you look at the side that stuffed Brentford and drew with Utd, you would wouldn't believe they are doing so well.

7 hours ago, Bailey said:

Personally I wouldn't fancy Holgate to do much better than Coleman.

I also wouldn't want Iwobi to be moved out of his best position especially as we need his creativity. 

I hadn't realised ASM was out so that is a big bonus as from what I have read about Newcastle they are dominating games at home but have lacked a spark to break down stubborn teams. 

They have been one of the best teams in the league this season so if we get anything from this game it will be a real bonus

Their end to last season and start to this is a real credit to Howe. When you look at the side that stuffed Brentford and drew with Utd, you would wouldn't believe they are doing so well.

They have played some decent stuff but they have only won 2 of their last 7. Both wins came against brentford & Fulham respectively, Fulham had a red card in the 8th minute as well.

Bruno guimaraes & Trippier are doubts.

I hope we don’t pay them too much respect and really get after them. Especially if Dan Burn is at LB. 

Seeing a lot of different suggestions for formation.  It is nice to have options on the bench.  Last season there were times when the lineup picked itself and the bench was riddled with goalkeepers, haha.

I would go with this if DCL is ready for most of a game:

Pickford

Coleman  Coady  Tarkowski  Mykolenko

Gueye

Onana    Iwobi

McNeil          DCL            Gray

If not, I would start with this and then go to the previous formation later in the game:

Pickford

Coleman  Coady  Tarkowski  Mykolenko

Onana  Garner 

Iwobi

Gray         Maupay          Gordon

As mentioned above - we have options!

Also, it is worth noting that Garner played some DM with Forest last season.  Think they often played with two DMs with both him and Yates sitting but because their were two, one could release the other to go box to box.  So I wonder if Onana and him could strike up a similar partnership?