IGNORED

Fulham (Away) Saturday 29th October

Btay

This is probably a good point away against a decent team. If Mitro or DCL take one of those chances that they should have buried it’s a different result.

Pickford MOTM for those early saves, Iwobi at the heart of everything again. Nice to see Myko and Gray not playing like strangers today. Clean sheet!

2 clean sheets on the bounce, point away from home despite a shit performance. Polar opposite approach-wise compared to the Palace game which is so disappointing. That's about as much effort as i can be bothered putting into a post and it was still more than Gordon and Gray did all game combined 

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

2 clean sheets on the bounce, point away from home despite a shit performance. Polar opposite approach-wise compared to the Palace game which is so disappointing. That's about as much effort as i can be bothered putting into a post and it was still more than Gordon and Gray did all game combined 

Gray was significantly more involved than Gordon. Not saying Gray played well by any means, but Gordon was nonexistent

35 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Gray was significantly more involved than Gordon. Not saying Gray played well by any means, but Gordon was nonexistent

I was more involved than Gordon. But we lost all our wide pressing again and that's purely because of the wingers fucking around. 

Just now, msloan78 said:

Mitrovic should've walked and we probably should've conceded a penalty there aswell.

Not a good performance from us, particularly in the second half, but we kept a clean sheet and got a point from a game that last year we probably lose 2-0.

Tarkowski put a similar challenge in last week, it wasn't malicious so he was never going to be a red. 

17 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I haven't bothered to read through this thread because I know people will be going way overboard with the negativity.

I thought we played well in the first half and caused Fulham plenty of problems. We could have easily been ahead at the break, there was plenty of things to feel positive about.

Second half I'm as disappointed as anyone that we didn't kick on. I'm sure Lampard is too because the game was there for us, it really was. I think (subconsciously maybe) that us not getting ahead in the game meant that we felt more inclined to to sit in and hold on to what we had, rather than to continue to play in a positive manner.

I don't think we necessarily played badly in the second half, we just played without any tempo and in too much of a negative way. But the positive to take from it is that when faced under that sort of pressure last season we fold and lose it. instead, tonight we showed solidity and took a point from the game.

We're on a journey from utter shite, it was never going to be a huge leap this season. Incremental steps is what it was going to be and I'm going to be patient because I can see the progress we're making.

We’ve got a solid foundation to build from now though, which is a massive positive. We just need to find or add that extra creative spark and we will have a very solid top 10 team in my opinion.

Some aspects of our strategy are becoming more clear with each game. Clearly, the emphasis has been on a strong defence, and we're behind only Arsenal, City, and Newcastle in this regard. (Note that we've allowed 12 goals in 13 games, whereas Liverpool have allowed 15 goals in 12.) It's taking time for our midfield to gel, and they're still three individuals rather than a unit with three members, but this will improve so long as we stick with the same starting line-up. Our struggle remains up-front. DC-L was quite anonymous yesterday, but that's because Gray and especially Gordon were poor. (Gray had plenty of the ball but didn't make much of it.)

For me, Mykolenko was top-notch yesterday; he's improving in leaps and bounds. As always, Tarkowski and Coady were like a stone wall. (Did you notice how all members of our defence congratulated each other? It's good to see.) They repelled attack after attack against a team that's scored in every previous game at home this season. We simply haven't had this level of reliability in recent years, and it's quite inspiring. When teams do break through, we have England's #1 to save us. (It's not impossible that these three could all be playing in the World Cup.) Someone wrote that Patterson was poor, but I didn't think so at all. The moment he entered the game, the more attacking we became on the right. I'm glad he's back.

Another recent aspect of our game is confident passing - especially long-ball passing. We don't panic but instead pick out meaningful passes. Yes, sometimes yesterday we slowed down the game with passes among midfield and defence. Mostly, though, our passes mean something and move us up the field. What a contrast to previous seasons when we appeared to pass quite aimlessly. Also, how many times did our players dummy/pirouette, changing direction anywhere from 90 to 180 degrees, and do so with obvious confidence. Nine times out of ten, it worked, and was just as powerful as a well-placed pass. We must be working on this on the training field.

When we started the game, I noticed the names on our bench. Not a bad list, is it? Garner and McNeil will find themselves playing in most games. Holgate and Keane are solid backups. Doucoure and Davies, too, are solid backups, while Begovic is an able keeper. Maupay is also great to have. We have more depth than before, and this is before we even consider Godfrey, Mina, and Townsend who remain injured. We really need an upgrade to Gray and Gordon, though, and competition to DC-L. That would make a world of difference.

We remain a work in progress, not unlike Arsenal from two seasons ago. Let's hope our owners have the patience needed to see this project through.