IGNORED

Crystal Palace (Away) 22nd April

Romey 1878

It's not a disastrous result.

I hear the critics of Dyche, who a few weeks ago was doing the business.

I think what it reveals more obviously is our lack of strength. We know this already. Missing a few key players all at once makes it blatantly obvious.

For me, we need to find about 9 points from the final 18. We supposedly have an easier run in 🤷‍♂️

15 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Agree with the first bit but not the second, we still have eighteen points to play for so potentially finishing on 46, which would be safe as houses. Still in our own hands which is all we can ask for at this stage.

But as you say, at 3.00 we'd all have taken the point I think.

What we can ask for is to start looking like (a) we can win games (b) not shoot our selves in the foot.

I don't care how many points are technically left. After the last few weeks the majority in here know we need to keep relying on others NOT picking up points vs us actually picking up points. 

2 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

I think what it reveals more obviously is our lack of strength. We know this already. Missing a few key players all at once makes it blatantly obvious.

For me, we need to find about 9 points from the final 18. We supposedly have an easier run in 🤷‍♂️

Agreed. Our lack of depth is really killing us. We have no one we can bring on that get us points. We’re at a real risk of finishing 19th or even 20th. 

2 minutes ago, Goodison Glory said:

What we can ask for is to start looking like (a) we can win games (b) not shoot our selves in the foot.

I don't care how many points are technically left. After the last few weeks the majority in here know we need to keep relying on others NOT picking up points vs us actually picking up points. 

Agreed. Saying we could win all our remaining games is daft, it’s about probability.  Based on current run rate we are gonna be close either way s d whether we like it or not - other team’s performances do matter. 

2 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

We have the hardest run in with Newcastle, Brighton and City to play. 
Dyche’s new manager bounce ended 3 games ago now it’s down to his tactics and player choices, his biggest mistake today was to pick Holgate over Patterson or Godfrey. He has publicly stated he doesn’t think in his opinion Patterson is good enough yet he thinks Holgate is a better option, he didn’t do his homework on that one, and if he had he would have seen Holgate was and always has been a liability. For me Dyche’s management of this and the 2 games before has been very poor. 

7 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Dyche’s new manager bounce ended 3 games ago now it’s down to his tactics and player choices, his biggest mistake today was to pick Holgate over Patterson or Godfrey. He has publicly stated he doesn’t think in his opinion Patterson is good enough yet he thinks Holgate is a better option, he didn’t do his homework on that one, and if he had he would have seen Holgate was and always has been a liability. For me Dyche’s management of this and the 2 games before has been very poor. 

I think his biggest problem was Ducs getting suspended. I think that's realistically cost us 3-5 points.

A draw today would have been a good result had we'd beat Fulham at home.

With Bournmouth beating Spurs away, we need to be nicking the odd away game as well. A big chance missed today.

1 minute ago, RuffRob said:

I think his biggest problem was Ducs getting suspended. I think that's realistically cost us 3-5 points.

A draw today would have been a good result had we'd beat Fulham at home.

With Bournmouth beating Spurs away, we need to be nicking the odd away game as well. A big chance missed today.

I’ve said numerous times we’ve missed Doucoure in other threads, as I’ve said I would have been happy with a point, yet I feel disappointed with our performances due to some bazaar decisions from Dyche. 

37 minutes ago, RPG said:

We don't need 4 wins. That is BS. A lot less than 40 points will see teams safe this year. I think 35 points will be enough and that is one win and four draws.

I love your maths buddy but to be safe we need 4 wins, let’s consider less than that when the maths proves it.

We should be putting a very attacking team out today not the status quo. 

Our run in does not have 12 points in it when we draw at palace off the back of a loss to Fulham.

At the beginning I thought Dyche was ok but I think he is quickly being found out. 
yes the squad is poor but regardless Holgate should never have been playing from the start. 
and should have been taken off at half time. 
but Dyche can’t make a decision. 
we all have our doubts about Patterson but the lad needs to play he’s far better than Holgate. 

A point away to Palace who have just won 3 on the bounce I’ll take,  given our squad.

Holgate was a mistake waiting to happen, he’s full of his own over belief, look at him during the warm up before games, it look like he thinks he’s Messi. SD should have pulled him at half time, being on a yellow was always going to end up horrible, and it did just that.

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

I agree, I said before the game I would have taken the point so why do I still feel disappointed with that performance, in one word Dyche. 

Id say in one word Holgate. He gave away any chance we had of really having a late surge. We had a foothold in the game and it had been really even since the 30 minute mark. Unfortunately Holgate fucked up any chance we had of doing anything but clinging on for the last 15.

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Holgate, Godfrey and Patterson are all different shades of shit. That didnt cost us the game. It was an experienced player who should have known loads better, who made a stupid decision. 

2 hours ago, memmaclub2 said:

BS - every game is must win. What possible world are we in with such few points ppl don’t see palace as a must win. Please explain where we are getting the 4 wins we need if not today. You’re deluded.

We’re in the bottom three and have been  around here for a while. That means there are no teams in this division that we should be beating. 
Teams playing us, are thinking that they should be winning.

Any points we gain away, are worked for and welcome.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Id say in one word Holgate. He gave away any chance we had of really having a late surge. We had a foothold in the game and it had been really even since the 30 minute mark. Unfortunately Holgate fucked up any chance we had of doing anything but clinging on for the last 15.

Holgate, Godfrey and Patterson are all different shades of shit. That didnt cost us the game. It was an experienced player who should have known loads better, who made a stupid decision. 

Bollocks, shouldn’t have been on the pitch poor managerial decision, were fighting for survival and Dyche’s pricking about with idiots like Holgate who repeated his usual nonsense again today, do I blame Holgate do I fuck I know what to expect with him on the pitch no surprises there, do I blame Dyche for putting him there yes I do, and he was lucky his decision didn’t cost us a point. 

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

We don't have THE hardest run in at all.

Quite interesting looking at the fixtures of the bottom 5. Plenty of us have to play each other. Some big 6 pointers coming up!

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Bollocks, shouldn’t have been on the pitch poor managerial decision, were fighting for survival and Dyche’s pricking about with idiots like Holgate who repeated his usual nonsense again today, do I blame Holgate do I fuck I know what to expect with him on the pitch no surprises there, do I blame Dyche for putting him there yes I do, and he was lucky his decision didn’t cost us a point. 

All these players are being good wages and they need to stand up and be counted when they step on the pitch. Every player should rightly be pushing for his place or chance for a place in the team and the manager has to pick those players who are showing the right arlttributes and attitude in the training, especially under a new manager. Holgate has been given his chance, but just hasn't taken it.

Dyche has been handed a cluster fuck of a squad after the absolute joke of a transfer window, and I am surprised we are still with a chance of staying in the Premiership.

The problem at the moment is not who is playing right or left back (but how we really miss Coleman), it the lack of both a Duc's and Onnana in the midfield. This current team has been hurriedly built around a solid middle, and that's just been decimated this past few games. I am not going to laud Dyche on his initial 'bounce', but equally not going to lambast him when the results don't come when his solid midfield have been decimated.

This squad is far better equipped under Dyche than it was under Lampard.

24 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

All these players are being good wages and they need to stand up and be counted when they step on the pitch. Every player should rightly be pushing for his place or chance for a place in the team and the manager has to pick those players who are showing the right arlttributes and attitude in the training, especially under a new manager. Holgate has been given his chance, but just hasn't taken it.

Dyche has been handed a cluster fuck of a squad after the absolute joke of a transfer window, and I am surprised we are still with a chance of staying in the Premiership.

The problem at the moment is not who is playing right or left back (but how we really miss Coleman), it the lack of both a Duc's and Onnana in the midfield. This current team has been hurriedly built around a solid middle, and that's just been decimated this past few games. I am not going to laud Dyche on his initial 'bounce', but equally not going to lambast him when the results don't come when his solid midfield have been decimated.

This squad is far better equipped under Dyche than it was under Lampard.

All that you’ve said doesn’t excuse him for making stupid decisions, and picking Holgate was moronic. He must have looked head and shoulders against Chester’s attack to get his opportunity, and that’s possibly the biggest joke of the decision to pick him. 

1 hour ago, RPG said:

Agreed.

The one thing we can't afford is to get beat at Leicester. I would take draws v Leicester and Newcastle if offered right now as I think, like it or not, we are practically dependent on other teams results. I would rather target draws, get 35 points and have a chance of staying up than go all out for wins, leave the back door open, turn the draws into defeats and get relegated on 30 points.

Bottom line is we were already in deep shit when Dyche arrived. Now we still have a big problem but our average points per game with Dyche is better than with Lampard, we have Doucoure, DCL, Onana and hopefully Coleman back and we have some games coming up where we can win points. The post mortem can wait until the end of the season imho. Let's just get behind the team that Dyche puts out (even if we don't agree with some of his selections) and get the boys over the line one more time.

Thing is you can’t realistically play for draws you have to play to win and at a minimum hope you secure no less than a draw. When it comes to player selection only a sheep wouldn’t say anything if they felt mistakes were made. On the point of Holgate there aren’t many on here, but before kick off those that made a comment on his selection showed concerns, no one made a positive remark. Yes the midfield is short of fighters and hardworking players with the absence of Doucoure and Onana, but why add to the problem by picking Holgate, for me that showed poor judgement from the manager which concerns me, and that’s because of the reasons you think I shouldn’t say anything and that is I am a fan and emotionally invested enough to care. One good thing is Holgate is suspended now so Dyche can’t play him against Newcastle. 

Would I have preferred Patterson starting at RB? Yes. Can I understand why Dyche went with the more experienced player? Yes, and I liked it a damn sight more than seeing Godfrey starting another game for us.

That first yellow card was never a yellow card. A foul, yes, but never a booking. I actually think Holgate did well after that in terms of not picking up another booking and used his experience well. Tick for Dyche and tick for Holgate.

However, once it got to 75 minutes Dyche should have got Holgate off for Patterson. I think we could all see that we wanted to the stay in the game until the last 10 or so minutes and then we'd probably push a bit more to try and nick the three points. Once Holgate picked up his second booking that all went to fuck. That's a cross for Dyche and a cross for Holgate.

3 hours ago, RPG said:

Bottom line is we were already in deep shit when Dyche arrived. Now we still have a big problem but our average points per game with Dyche is better than with Lampard, we have Doucoure, DCL, Onana and hopefully Coleman back and we have some games coming up where we can win points. The post mortem can wait until the end of the season imho. Let's just get behind the team that Dyche puts out (even if we don't agree with some of his selections) and get the boys over the line one more time.

I don't agree with playing for draws but I do agree with your second paragraph. With those players returning, it's on paper, our strongest lineup all season. I think we can beat Newcastle on Thursday and I think we can get things from the other games. It's going to be very close but certainly doable. I'm still hopeful.  

3 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Would I have preferred Patterson starting at RB? Yes. Can I understand why Dyche went with the more experienced player? Yes, and I liked it a damn sight more than seeing Godfrey starting another game for us.

That first yellow card was never a yellow card. A foul, yes, but never a booking. I actually think Holgate did well after that in terms of not picking up another booking and used his experience well. Tick for Dyche and tick for Holgate.

However, once it got to 75 minutes Dyche should have got Holgate off for Patterson. I think we could all see that we wanted to the stay in the game until the last 10 or so minutes and then we'd probably push a bit more to try and nick the three points. Once Holgate picked up his second booking that all went to fuck. That's a cross for Dyche and a cross for Holgate.

This is how I look at it as well.

Whoever he puts in that position has more negatives than positives at the moment. Patterson has the most potential to make it his spot but he is a defensive liability as well. 

Godfrey had his chance and failed. Holgate has now done the same. I imagine it will be Patterson's go next week. 

On 22/04/2023 at 19:18, Shukes said:

We’re in the bottom three and have been  around here for a while. That means there are no teams in this division that we should be beating. 
Teams playing us, are thinking that they should be winning.

Any points we gain away, are worked for and welcome.

We will get relegated based on performances like this a draw is not a good result against palace if we want to stay up