IGNORED

Brighton (Away) 24th February

Romey 1878

15 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Why bring young on??? I'd have been ok with Keane for the added height. 

get past this season and hopefully stay up but he's not a long term manager. 

Exactly, if we were going to sit deep and soak it up that is Keane’s bread and butter. It is disappointing to concede from a back post header on Godfrey’s side.

2 minutes ago, Btay said:

Exactly, if we were going to sit deep and soak it up that is Keane’s bread and butter. It is disappointing to concede from a back post header on Godfrey’s side.

Check the goal... Onana stands and lets dunk get a free run and jump. If he stayed goal side then they don't score. 

Just now, Hafnia said:

Check the goal... Onana stands and lets dunk get a free run and jump. If he stayed goal side then they don't score. 

Yeah I’ve seen it, he could and should have done more. However, we improve massively having him on the pitch & for that reason I would be starting him.

2 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

Only managed to listen to the game, but once again we’re a bag of nerves, to not hold on to the lead was awful, why couldn’t t we have just played simple passes and retain the ball?

The mental attribute I value most in sports is relentlessness.  Only very occasionally do our players exhibit this; so rarely, in fact, that it’s shocking but exhilarating when any of our players do so.  Too many of our players play tepidly, mentally and physically.

Did they lack the mental fierceness to dominate play in extra time, as the numerical advantage and our place in the table ought to have made automatic?

22 minutes ago, chicagoblue said:

We couldn't put five simple passes together all game.  

It’s a running and passing game.  We don’t have a lot of pace.  But what’s more telling is this inability, team-wide, to execute basic passes advancing the ball.  It’s been a signal weakness for the past several seasons.

My philosophy when your opponents go down to 10 men is to stick another striker on, you don’t lose any advantage in defence or midfield yet you force them to keep their defenders to stay put.                                                         What we did was to stick another defender on which nullified our advantage of an extra man and allowed them to get more men forward, so you couldn’t tell they were the team down to 10, if anything we looked like the team who down to 10 men. 
A poor decision by Dyche and his coaching staff has cost us 2 points, of that imo there can be doubt. 

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

My philosophy when your opponents go down to 10 men is to stick another striker on, you don’t lose any advantage in defence or midfield yet you force them to keep their defenders to stay put.                                                         What we did was to stick another defender on which nullified our advantage of an extra man and allowed them to get more men forward, so you couldn’t tell they were the team down to 10, if anything we looked like the team who down to 10 men. 
A poor decision by Dyche and his coaching staff has cost us 2 points, of that imo there can be doubt. 

Playing the long ball all game is awful, when they went to 10 men we should have passed around them but no Pickford just carried on hoofing the ball long.

we lost possession so many times going long. 

2 minutes ago, patto said:

Playing the long ball all game is awful, when they went to 10 men we should have passed around them but no Pickford just carried on hoofing the ball long.

we lost possession so many times going long. 

I think that is standard for us most of the games this season we have been the epitome of the long ball team.                                                    Whether right or wrong fans aren’t really jumping on it like they would have a couple of seasons ago, Dyche is being given a free ticket as such, which is fine when you look at what he has had to contend with, but once the shit is over and the dust settled there won’t be many who will put up with this style of football, well I won’t anyway. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Agreed. It's like poker, when the chips are in your favour bully the opponent.  Make them realise they are one bad call from game over 

22 minutes ago, patto said:

I’ve said it time and time again Godfrey for a centre back can’t head a ball I don’t know why he was central Branthwaite tarky and Onana should all have been around Dunk. 

The issue wasn't Godfrey, the issue was Onana literally just didn't decide to do nothing - he moved out the way to allow dunk to get up. 

if Onana jumped it would have been enough. Second game in a week where he decides not to make a challenge leading to us conceding 

3 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Onana was pathetic in last 10 minutes. Silly risks then basically stood aside to let dunk get a free run and jump on Godfrey.

sell him to the highest bidder, don't like him 

Haven’t seen it but if it’s true that’s two goals in 2 games he’s been soft, not good enough, and I don’t think he ever will be.

1 hour ago, Wiggytop said:

Haven’t seen it but if it’s true that’s two goals in 2 games he’s been soft, not good enough, and I don’t think he ever will be.

He's got potential quite clearly - the reality is that he is very lackadaisical and seems to lack it between the ears. 

6 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

He's got potential quite clearly - the reality is that he is very lackadaisical and seems to lack it between the ears. 

Just an impression, but my sense is that he knows he has talent, is told he’s got great potential with a top club, and so coolly thinks he’s better than Everton.  We see moments of outstanding talent, but no commitment-consistency.

I’ll be surprised if he improves steadily at Everton, and surprised if he sees out his Everton contract, 3 more seasons.

• Brighton are unbeaten in their last 11 Premier League home games (W5 D6), only losing once in their last 15 at the American Express Stadium (W7 D7) despite keeping just one clean sheet in that time (0-0 against Wolves in January).

• Everton are unbeaten in their last four Premier League away games against Brighton W2 D2), scoring eight goals and conceding just two.

• Lewis Dunk’s 95th minute goal for Brighton was the latest equaliser Everton have conceded in a Premier League away game since John Terry made it 3-3 in the 98th minute for Chelsea in January 2016.

• Brighton have both scored and conceded in 21 of their 26 Premier League games this season, more than any other side in the competition.

• Brighton’s Pascal Gross has either scored or assisted a goal in each of his last four Premier League games. The German created six chances today – only against Watford in February 2019 has he created more in a home game in the competition (10).

• Everton’s Jarrod Branthwaite has scored two goals in his last four Premier League games, one more than in all of his previous 29 matches in the competition combined (1).

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Difference between Onana and Barkley is confidence.  Barkley lacked it and needed an arm round his shoulder - Onana has too much and needs a foot up the arse. 

Confidence doesn't explain Barkleys achillies heel though which is his footballing brain. Apparently linked with United today :rofl:

40 minutes ago, Matt said:

Confidence doesn't explain Barkleys achillies heel though which is his footballing brain. Apparently linked with United today :rofl:

Maybe his football brain that you are judging is the one that he had aged 18-22 which is when he was playing for us.  

its amazing really cos Onana gets the benefit of being 23 this year and being young and needing to learn.

Barkley was lacking in between the ears but it wasn't cockiness, arrogance, or the fact he couldn't be arsed.  He played well when he played through instinct and didn't second guess.   

He was outstanding under Martinez, cos Martinez got the best out of him and didn't knock it out of him 

He would be amazing at man United .... not good enough for us though. 

41 minutes ago, Matt said:

I’m not surprised he is linked to United he will be linked to a lot of teams he has been Luton’s best player we missed the boat in the summer I blame our recruitment team we are so poor. 
and that stretches right through the club at every level the last 6 years has been criminal 

4 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Maybe his football brain that you are judging is the one that he had aged 18-22 which is when he was playing for us.  

its amazing really cos Onana gets the benefit of being 23 this year and being young and needing to learn.

Barkley was lacking in between the ears but it wasn't cockiness, arrogance, or the fact he couldn't be arsed.  He played well when he played through instinct and didn't second guess.   

He was outstanding under Martinez, cos Martinez got the best out of him and didn't knock it out of him 

He would be amazing at man United .... not good enough for us though. 

Probably his footballing brain until he got to Luton where he shines as the big fish making him look so much better than he is, just like he supposedly did with us before his move to "the big club":dontknow:

I don't have the animosity towards him that others do, can't be arsed. But he's not this potential saviour either. He's a very average player with bags of talent that he can't put to use effectively. That's been his whole career, I don't see how it's suddenly changed in a few months. 

1 minute ago, patto said:

I’m not surprised he is linked to United he will be linked to a lot of teams he has been Luton’s best player we missed the boat in the summer I blame our recruitment team we are so poor. 
and that stretches right through the club at every level the last 6 years has been criminal 

Or maybe we did try to get him and he couldn't face coming back?