IGNORED

Shane Duffy

First goalscoring bet when he does get a start - let fellaini distract the others at the front post and get duffy at the back.

He's not going to get any better in the reserves and our defense is not going to get any worse playing him. If anything it will get better.

We don't score enough from set-pieces, we don't even look threatening most of the time, so he'd be great to have there.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh welp.

Is this the kind of thing where it's so farfetched that it's ridiculously unlikely he actually tweeted the stuff or is it like the southern people in the US who still run around with Confederate flags?

It's a bit complicated (and I don't claim to know much about it)unsure.png.

But briefly....the original IRA (Irish Republican Army) fought against the British for independence in 1919/21. Then when most of Ireland got it but Northern Ireland (Ulster) didn't they existed in one form or another until some of them formed the Provisional IRA in 1969....these are the people who would be described as terrorists over the next thirty odd years (the "troubles"). Several ex members are now high ranking politicians (Gerry Adams/Martin McGuinness) following the Good Friday Agreement 1998.

There are still a couple of very small groups calling themselves the IRA (the real IRA and the continuity IRA I think).

So there's a lot of history to them....I think it's quite possible to say "Up the 'RA" and be talking about Michael Collins (historical figure, Google him) for example rather than the people who blew up pubs in the seventies. A bit like Americans celebrating Benedict Arnold or John Hancock.

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter....see Nelson Mandela.

Oh welp.

Is this the kind of thing where it's so farfetched that it's ridiculously unlikely he actually tweeted the stuff or is it like the southern people in the US who still run around with Confederate flags?

He's not denying the tweets, he's saying he's not the one who sent them.

Lads lets not get carried away here....

He's not sectarian and he's not racist in anyway.... And anyone who knows the lad knows best!

The only religious believes he has is FOOTBALL!

Thanks Mark.

Should point out that I wasn't referencing Shane at all in my last post....just trying to answer thow's question.

He's not sectarian and he's not racist in anyway.... And anyone who knows the lad knows best!

Shane seems like a really decent lad, I'm not taking any notice of the story because I doubt very highly that he's behind it all. I think it's just the papers trying to sell a few extra copies of the paper.

• 2 weeks later...

How is it in his hands to decide on his future when he has three years left on his contracthuh.png ?

Firstly, I don't believe everything I read in the press, but if Duffy is upset that he hasn't broken into the first eleven yet at 21 he needs to have a reality check, and deflate his expectations a little. While we have fit senior International players available, he is unlikely to play.

The youngsters need to realise that you have a long road ahead to get to a starting place in the Premiership, and the quickest way there is to do the talking on the pitch. He would do well to stay the hell away from the press, who only want a story, and don't have his best interests at heart.

Players have all the power, you know that. And if he isn't playing then the club are hardly likely to stop him leaving are they?

Players who are worth a few quid maybe, but I can't see Everton getting bent over and shafted for reserve players. Shane might want to not make a fuss where that's concerned. The last thing he needs is to become a headache when he is so close.

Firstly, I don't believe everything I read in the press, but if Duffy is upset that he hasn't broken into the first eleven yet at 21 he needs to have a reality check, and deflate his expectations a little. While we have fit senior International players available, he is unlikely to play.

The youngsters need to realise that you have a long road ahead to get to a starting place in the Premiership, and the quickest way there is to do the talking on the pitch. He would do well to stay the hell away from the press, who only want a story, and don't have his best interests at heart.

How can he do the talking on the pitch when he isnt getting game time?

We dont even play him in the cup games against lower league opposition. He shouldnt be expecting to start week in week out but given them cup games and given how CB's have been leaking goals through parts of the season, I think I would be starting to get a bit frustrated as well. Not to mention, Moyes making noises about him being ready to start games and then nothing.

In todays game 21 isnt that young, even for a CB.

How can he do the talking on the pitch when he isnt getting game time?

We dont even play him in the cup games against lower league opposition. He shouldnt be expecting to start week in week out but given them cup games and given how CB's have been leaking goals through parts of the season, I think I would be starting to get a bit frustrated as well. Not to mention, Moyes making noises about him being ready to start games and then nothing.

In todays game 21 isnt that young, even for a CB.

On the training pitch, or any other pitch he gets near, be it in the reserves, or on loan. dont%20know.gif

If Moyes thought he was the best available defender, he would get picked. Obviously Moyes doesn't think that. I'd like to see him get games too, but I'm trying to be realistic and level headed about his chances.

On the training pitch, or any other pitch he gets near, be it in the reserves, or on loan. dont%20know.gif

If Moyes thought he was the best available defender, he would get picked. Obviously Moyes doesn't think that. I'd like to see him get games too, but I'm trying to be realistic and level headed about his chances.

Don't be bringing logic into it ! You should be slagging Moyes off

Duffy has a point. Our defence has been shite, daft set piece goals conceded. The lad has arial ability above any other defender in the squad. There have been opportunities to play him and he hasn't been used.

21 is a good age to be playing first team football, Ferdinand was an £18m player at 21/22. Ratcliffe was everton captain at 23... He's proven his ability in the cameos I've seen.

Duffy has a point. Our defence has been shite, daft set piece goals conceded. The lad has arial ability above any other defender in the squad. There have been opportunities to play him and he hasn't been used.

21 is a good age to be playing first team football, Ferdinand was an £18m player at 21/22. Ratcliffe was everton captain at 23... He's proven his ability in the cameos I've seen.

based on what? sporadic appearances? the fact he's 6 foot 4? i'm close to 6 foot 3 so fuck it whack me in there with him...i agree i'd rather he had been used more but i'd trust the people who work with him day in day out to make that decision...and on the point of rio he was an 18m player at that age because leeds had money and would pay whatever..just like city on a lesser scale

based on what? sporadic appearances? the fact he's 6 foot 4? i'm close to 6 foot 3 so fuck it whack me in there with him...i agree i'd rather he had been used more but i'd trust the people who work with him day in day out to make that decision...and on the point of rio he was an 18m player at that age because leeds had money and would pay whatever..just like city on a lesser scale

Duffy is outstanding in the air, he has a leap to match his height. Put it this way I would say he's far better than heitinga in that regard.

At his age he needs first team football, 21 is not young when you've been in and around the squad with very little opportunity despite injuries and loss of form to other centre halves.

The question is do I trust moyes and co to give him a fair chance? When you look at Barkley, vellios along with Duffy then the answer is no.