IGNORED

Shane Duffy

Because Jags, Distin and at the time Hietinga are all better than him

Yep thats what it was like when Kanchelskis was better than Beckham, when Ince was better than scholes, how was it that Beckham and Scholes became so good???

Duffy did everything that was asked of him, and for me that game where he was a man against the Spurs attackers warranted further opportunities.... Hibbert at centre half? yeah he did ok, but at what price?

The lad has not been nurtured in the right way.

I'm not convinced by him, I think he's too slow, turns too slow, etc. A season long loan to Leicester would be great, if he impresses there he can come in for next year's preseason and try to convince the staff. If he doesn't succeed in convincing the staff then or if he fails to impress at Leicester, then move him on permanently.

Yep thats what it was like when Kanchelskis was better than Beckham, when Ince was better than scholes, how was it that Beckham and Scholes became so good???

Duffy did everything that was asked of him, and for me that game where he was a man against the Spurs attackers warranted further opportunities.... Hibbert at centre half? yeah he did ok, but at what price?

hibbert was motm or close to in that game...it was a bold but brilliant call by moyes

personally agree duffy should have been played more in cup games etc but you play your best when you can

Hmmmm so are you seriously trying to compare Duffy to Scholes and Beckham???

Was it 4 games he came in for?

If memory serves he did brilliantly in 3 of them but looked really dodgy in the 4th game, think it as against Villa at Goodison

The point is if he is good enough he gets into the team but if he is the 4th best CB and we only play 2 at a time then its little wonder that he hasn't played a lot

If memory serves he did brilliantly in 3 of them but looked really dodgy in the 4th game, think it as against Villa at Goodison

The point is if he is good enough he gets into the team but if he is the 4th best CB and we only play 2 at a time then its little wonder that he hasn't played a lot

No, hes comparing the principle and I agree.

The way the lad played in his cameos was highly impressive but what did it matter? as soon as Moyes' preferred players came in he was dropped in an instant. Whether the preferred players are better or not, the lad was on a good run of form and then dropped. Regardless of how well he was doing, he didnt even get 20-30 mins substitute appearances as a reward for his good work and sign of faith from his manager.

Maybe others on here have but I haven't seen Shane at work every day for the past few years. However, Moyes, Round and the rest of the coaching staff did and they didn't think he was ready. Now Martinez, Jones and coaching team have come in and it seems they don't think he's ready yet either.

Maybe a season at a good standard in the Championship will get the best out of him but I think its reasonable to assume that there are a number of people better qualified than us to make an assessment on whether he can improve our team.

Maybe others on here have but I haven't seen Shane at work every day for the past few years. However, Moyes, Round and the rest of the coaching staff did and they didn't think he was ready. Now Martinez, Jones and coaching team have come in and it seems they don't think he's ready yet either.

Maybe a season at a good standard in the Championship will get the best out of him but I think its reasonable to assume that there are a number of people better qualified than us to make an assessment on whether he can improve our team.

Moyes also thought it a good idea to play Rodwell, Barkely, Osman and Anichebe as right wingers.

Whilst I understand what youre saying, Moyes et al were not flawless (I know youre not implying that). Duffy was given a chance due to injuries, did very well against top opposition (thought he and Johnny looked a very good pairing, seemed to understand each other well), then was dropped and never seen again in the 1st team, except the bench. Thats just not good man management.

Maybe hes not ready yet. I hope he flourishes at Leicester, and gives Martinez a headache, because I genuinely think this guy could be a solid centre back for us for a long time to come.

Yeah, I was, I was actually likening his passing to scholes and free kick taking to Beckhams.

It had nothing to do with the fact that unless you take a chance on a young player in competitive games you will never know how good they can be - that would just be a little too random...

We don't actually know if Martinez doesn't think he is ready - he is giving him a loan move to get some competitive games under his belt. The lad has stagnated in the reserves since we last seen him a couple of years back. Martinez has made it clear that reserve team football is no place to develop young talent - i'm comfortable with this. He is probably trying to shake the rust from him, otherwise he would probably look to release him.

We don't actually know if Martinez doesn't think he is ready - he is giving him a loan move to get some competitive games under his belt. The lad has stagnated in the reserves since we last seen him a couple of years back. Martinez has made it clear that reserve team football is no place to develop young talent - i'm comfortable with this. He is probably trying to shake the rust from him, otherwise he would probably look to release him.

I think if Martinez thought he was ready now he wouldn't need to send him on loan for a season but I agree he needs more than reserve football. It seems that Stones has also jumped ahead of him in the pecking order but with Heitinga likely to go and Distin's age, there could be opportunities for him on the future if he goes on loan, gets plenty of game time and shows the necessary improvement.

I think if Martinez thought he was ready now he wouldn't need to send him on loan for a season but I agree he needs more than reserve football. It seems that Stones has also jumped ahead of him in the pecking order but with Heitinga likely to go and Distin's age, there could be opportunities for him on the future if he goes on loan, gets plenty of game time and shows the necessary improvement.

Meant to say "good enough", but yeah, I think it's gonna take 15 games at least till he's sharp enough to be considered. This should have happened 2 years ago.

I'm not convinced by him, I think he's too slow, turns too slow, etc. A season long loan to Leicester would be great, if he impresses there he can come in for next year's preseason and try to convince the staff. If he doesn't succeed in convincing the staff then or if he fails to impress at Leicester, then move him on permanently.

Thats my worry too and the better calibre of opposition we play the more he will get exposed. Get him a good loan at a good Championship club (at the worst) and see what happens. I hope not as he sounds like a really good lad who loves the club.

I think Stones has primarily jumped the queue because he can play RB as well.

Lets just say there is no shortage of clubs interested in taking him lads!

Watch this space.

Im sure there is, I dont want him to leave. He should stay imo. Sure, he needs to play and a loan might be good for him. I just hope he doesnt get sold. Id prefer it if Heitinga left.

We would get more money

He is older

Shane has his best years ahead of him

I still hate moyes for dropping him for the city game.... But lucky for him johnny had a great game!

He will be going to a team that play good football, and I'm sure you all know by now Shane is Everton though and though, he loves the club .... But being only 21 all he wants now is game time!

Good luck for the season lads.... I think ul finish 5th & miles ahead of the red shi$e! :)

No, hes comparing the principle and I agree.

The way the lad played in his cameos was highly impressive but what did it matter? as soon as Moyes' preferred players came in he was dropped in an instant. Whether the preferred players are better or not, the lad was on a good run of form and then dropped. Regardless of how well he was doing, he didnt even get 20-30 mins substitute appearances as a reward for his good work and sign of faith from his manager.

What principle??

Beckham and Scholes were world class players and were more than ready to take their chance when it came. Also worth pointing out Beckham had to go out on loan before he got his chance

I like Duffy and I would love him to make it at Everton but I just don't get this idea that youngsters should be in the side because they are youngsters. Duffy looked extremely shakey in his last game and I don't think it would have done him any good to have put him in against City

If you think Shane is better than Jags , Distin and Hietinga then fair enough I can see why you would think he should be in the side otherwise why would you not want your best players out on the pitch?

I still hate moyes for dropping him for the city game.... But lucky for him johnny had a great game!

He will be going to a team that play good football, and I'm sure you all know by now Shane is Everton though and though, he loves the club .... But being only 21 all he wants now is game time!

Good luck for the season lads.... I think ul finish 5th & miles ahead of the red shi$e! :)

Its exactly what he needs too. Its a shame and a slight surprise that he wasn't allowed to go on loan again at the end of last season as well.

What principle??

Beckham and Scholes were world class players and were more than ready to take their chance when it came. Also worth pointing out Beckham had to go out on loan before he got his chance

I like Duffy and I would love him to make it at Everton but I just don't get this idea that youngsters should be in the side because they are youngsters. Duffy looked extremely shakey in his last game and I don't think it would have done him any good to have put him in against City

If you think Shane is better than Jags , Distin and Hietinga then fair enough I can see why you would think he should be in the side otherwise why would you not want your best players out on the pitch?

This X10000.

What principle??

Were they world class by the time they had made 5 first team appearances? Nope. Do you not get the point yet or should Moyes be vindicated for letting him spend the last two years watching games with an Everton kit on when he could have been up against the mighty lower league opposition in fa cup games.

To be fair I quite liked watching hitzlesburger and heitinga go through the motions...

If we had too many better options above Duffy then that's fine; I don't blame Moyes for not playing him. However, if it were so clear that he wasn't going to break into the lineup anytime soon then he should have been sent out on loan. I'm a huge fan of Moyes but his handling of Duffy is not something I'm fond of.

Were they world class by the time they had made 5 first team appearances? Nope. Do you not get the point yet or should Moyes be vindicated for letting him spend the last two years watching games with an Everton kit on when he could have been up against the mighty lower league opposition in fa cup games.

To be fair I quite liked watching hitzlesburger and heitinga go through the motions...

No Im sorry I don't get the point at all

Ok so you say he should be in the side, but at whose expense?

There were times last season were I would rather have had Duffy than Hietinga but that would still only get him a place on the bench

Im also dead against putting out a reserve side in the Cup, I want us to win something and the best chance we have of doing that is to take the Cup competitions seriously and for me that means fielding your strongest side not pitching in your 4th best CB just because he is under the age of 21

If these lads need to develop send them out on loan, don't jeopardise what little chance we have of silverware/Europe just to give someone a game, its not Sunday league football after all

I know that for some reason you love to hate Moyes and on the flip side Martinez can do no wrong so it will be interesting to see what your opinion is on this is in 6 months time if Shane Duffy is still here and still isn't in the side

If we had too many better options above Duffy then that's fine; I don't blame Moyes for not playing him. However, if it were so clear that he wasn't going to break into the lineup anytime soon then he should have been sent out on loan. I'm a huge fan of Moyes but his handling of Duffy is not something I'm fond of.

I think he would have gone out on loan had Jags not got injured

When that happened , Hietinga came into the side and we had to keep Duffy here as backup

I think he would have gone out on loan had Jags not got injured

When that happened , Hietinga came into the side and we had to keep Duffy here as backup

I have two thoughts on this. The first is that Jags got hurt later in the season. This offers no explanation for why he couldn't have gone out on loan for even a month in the winter. Hell, most short-term loans have the option to recall the player. We recalled Barkley when it was clear we needed him for depth because of a few guys being out.

The second being that we should have found a cheap depth option so that we're not in limbo with our young players. We did that with Hitzlsberger.

What principle??

you saw this before they were given the chance to prove themselves?!

my point is, Duffy was given a chance to prove himself. he did just that. then he was dropped and forgotten about. its not about him being a youngster, its about him excelling when he had the chance and being ignored. im not saying he shouldve been a starter but he shouldve been given sub appearances to reward him for his good work until he was good enough to displace his competition. I dont think he is better than either 3, but hes shown enough to me to show he should be given the chance to prove himself further.

Picking players based on talent alone gets you nowhere, see England. Players form should always play a huge factor, Distin and Jags had been awful, and Duffy done nothing wrong to deserve to be cut. Tony Hibbert had to be injured for Duffy to get a chance ffs, Moyes youth development is a joke. Didn't pick them because they were inexperience, catch 22 they were never going to get a chance.

If an experienced painter's work was going through a shoddy patch and a new kid on the block was producing finer paintings at present, who would you commission?

My point is, Duffy was given a chance to prove himself. he did just that. then he was dropped and forgotten about. its not about him being a youngster, its about him excelling when he had the chance and being ignored. im not saying he shouldve been a starter but he shouldve been given sub appearances to reward him for his good work until he was good enough to displace his competition. I dont think he is better than either 3, but hes shown enough to me to show he should be given the chance to prove himself further.

Your right, but Moyes was never one to rotate, we must always play the best eleven or risk losing games, a lot more people would have slagged him off if he did that.

Its not only Duffy that deserves a chance, we have others that have been stifled by Moyes's safety first team selections. a lot of players came here who were capable, and in fact were playing in 1st elevens when we bought them, and some that were'nt but have been stifled since coming here.

Stones, Oviedo, Velios, Kennedy, Gueye, Robles Hopefully Roberto will bring them on a bit and ease them into the squad. With Barkley, McAleny, and Garbutt the average age of the squad could drop significantly.

Lets see if Roberto will give them a bit more Game time.

Edited by Bill