IGNORED

Shane Duffy

That's what I was thinking too StevO. In my opinion Shane is good enough to be in our team should we need him but with Distin, Jagielka and Heitinga in our squad who could all play there I think it would be wise to offload Shane for 12-months to a newly promoted team to get his confidence, fitness and skills up to scratch. I'm really excited about him for the future and I have to say I'm taken back by his 'career pledge' which Mike posted earlier in the thread.

Shane for Southampton maybe? Suits me.

I think a northern club would be more suited, even if just to stay in closer contact with the club.

Even a top end Championship club would be good, Bolton could do with a decent centre half.

Edit

Just watching the play offs, West Ham and Blackpool could both do with Shane!

Edited by StevO

I think a northern club would be more suited, even if just to stay in closer contact with the club.

Hadn't though of that actually, it's probably best that we keep him close to home. Bolton Wanderers is a good shout (and they might need him due to losing players) along with the likes of Wolverhampton and Blackburn. All three teams that have gone down this season are close to home so Shane could ideally move to any of them, I'd ask for a cheeky £10 too as a loan fee which we could put towards the Pienaar swoop!

Burnley (or Barnsley) would be a good choice, sweeten the deal to poach Rodriguez (or Butterfield) off them, rather Duffy stayed and we made him 3rd choice though play him in all the cup games. Think Wallace and Baxter could do with a full season of football in the championship, Duffy should be higher.

• 3 weeks later...

Bad day for him today, scores an own goal within 5 minutes and later concedes a goal from someone called Immobile wink.png

He also gave away the free kick from which he scored the og....and got a yellow card for itsad.png .

Sounds like one of those days....but a 2~2 draw v Italy not to be sneezed at.

I was at the game, and yes he had a bad start to the game, was at fault for the first goal, not by the deflection on the shot for the own goal, but by not putting the ball outta of touch when he came under pressure from the forward ! But I was really happy to see him keep the head up, and nearly rectified his mistake by scoring from a corner 10 mins later...... Plus he was in the Italy box challenging for a header when there defender handled for the penaltie! Was only his 2nd 90 mins since the end of season! He's lookin forward to the start of the new season, be it with everton or a championship club ;)!

• 5 weeks later...

from The Liverpool Post:

Meanwhile, centre-back Shane Duffy admits he may have to move away from Goodison again in search of regular first-team football in the coming campaign.

Duffy, following previous loan spells at Burnley and Scunthorpe United, made his Premier League debut in January and went on to play five times for the senior team.

And the 20-year old said: “Obviously my aims are to play regular football for the full season. And hopefully I can break into the first team of Everton. That’s the main goal.

“But if I can’t do that, I’ll go on loan and see if I can do well at a Championship club and you never know what might happen then.

“Last season I really enjoyed my experience at Scunthorpe and felt I learned a lot from it. If I can get experience playing in the Championship that would be great, but I just want to be playing regularly.”

Would a move (loan) somewhere in Europe be a good move for Shane? Like The Bundesliga? Playing for a European spot chaser (similar to Everton), to possibly get him some much needed competitive first team football?

Can't see any team chasing Europe in the Bundesliga offering him playing time, let alone on a loan deal. Just get him to a team in the upper half of the Championship.

Edited by Steve_E

or the lower end of the premiership? someone like qpr need a decent defender?

That would be my preference, but as a nation, we seem scared to allow Prem players out on loan to other prem teams. But i agree, someone in the bottom half of the table would be a decent step up...especially from the Championship.

In Italy, some of the 'lesser' teams loan players out to teams higher than them in the table, its mad!