IGNORED

Norwich City (League Cup Home) Tuesday September 20th

markjazzbassist

Starting on Saturday we have 4 matches in 14 days (3 league matches, 1 cup match) before another international break. I expect a strong lineup regardless as Koeman seems to take the cups more seriously than other managers.

Stekelenberg

Coleman Jags Williams Baines

Gana Barry

Gerry Mirallas Bolasie

Lukaku

Since I shall be in Britain for my dad's funeral (ten days starting next Friday), I had hoped to see a game. It's really unfortunate that we have that Friday game; I could have made the Saturday. :(

Edited by Cornish Steve

I'd guess Robles, Funes Mori, Oviedo, Cleverley, and Valencia all start. Possibly Kone and Davies, too.

Maybe wholesale changes, which I prefer. Even this team ......

Robles

Holgate Williams Funes Mori Oviedo

Davies Cleverley

Deulofeu Kone Lennon

Valencia

........ should be able to win. Mirallas and Barkley early in second half, if necessary.

Probably too drastic, but with our excellent start, Bournemouth is the strong priority.

I'd guess Robles, Funes Mori, Oviedo, Cleverley, and Valencia all start. Possibly Kone and Davies, too.

Maybe wholesale changes, which I prefer. Even this team ......

Robles

Holgate Williams Funes Mori Oviedo

Davies Cleverley

Deulofeu Kone Lennon

Valencia

........ should be able to win. Mirallas and Barkley early in second half, if necessary.

Probably too drastic, but with our excellent start, Bournemouth is the strong priority.

I honestly think he will take it more seriously than this.

Robles

Coleman Williams Funes Mori Baines

Gueye (Macca/gibson/cleverly/Davies, or whoever is fit!)

Lennon Deulofeu Mirallas

Valencia (lukaku injury, otherwise Rom)

I honestly think he will take it more seriously than this.

Robles

Coleman Williams Funes Mori Baines

Gueye (Macca/gibson/cleverly/Davies, or whoever is fit!)

Lennon Deulofeu Mirallas

Valencia (lukaku injury, otherwise Rom)

I'd keep Lennon on the bench and start Barkley with the other two.

I'd also start Kone if Lukaku isn't fit.

Lukaku will be rested after his knock. Knowing how seriously Koeman takes cup games, I can't seeing him making more than three or so unforced changes, so I think he will go for something not too far off this:

Steklenberg

Coleman, Williams, Funes Mori, Baines

Gueye, Cleverley

Lennon, Deulofeu, Mirallas

Valencia

Bench: Robles, Holgate, Oviedo, Davies, Barkley, Bolasie, Kone

Seeing as we're on a good run, maybe it's a good idea to keep the changes to a minimum, but IMO I'd say Holgate, Robles and Oviedo could also come in and do an adequate job.

Knowing how seriously Koeman takes cup games, I can't seeing him making more than three or so unforced changes.... Seeing as we're on a good run, maybe it's a good idea to keep the changes to a minimum.

This game [bournemouth] and the Palace game following it are critical to us keeping our momentum going.

Let's put up as many points [against Bournemouth] as possible in case we go through a rough patch were still all right.

The close-together matches with Norwich and Bournemouth present the usual issue of how many changes to make. I think brisbaneblue probably represents the general view on TT about the Norwich starting lineup: a few changes, not too many.

But TP1878 and MJB also represent what surely must be the unanimous opinion that Bournemouth and Palace represent opportunites to stay in second, maybe even grab first.

So for me it's difficult to speculate about Norwich lineup options without acknowledging the issue of the relative importance of the League Cup and our sudden move up the table. Maybe there's little to be concerned about, as it's so early in the season that no first-choice player would have any problem playing 3 matches in 8 days. And the lineup I prefer for Norwich [earlier post in this thread] admittedly involves radical changes.

Still, I'd like to see those players get a start, think they should/probably would beat Norwich, and -- right now, given this season's excellent beginning -- strongly prioritize Bournemouth over Norwich.

I do recognize that a loss to Norwich might conceivably be a momentum-stopper, so that's a strike against my preference for lots of new starters Tuesday. But I think our bench is now solid, and should be able to beat Norwich. I'm willing to take that chance. By all means, if using a radically changed lineup on Tuesday, bring on 3 first-teamers in second half, if behind.

It's about time as well.

Totally agree, used to really do my tits in when Moyes/ Martinez used to put weakened sides out

I always thought of it as a fuck you to us fans who travelled away on wet and windy November nights only to see us field a reserve side and go out to lower league opposition

Bloody Sod's law that I finally remembered to opt out of the auto cup scheme for this tournament in the year we finally take an interest

Totally agree, used to really do my tits in when Moyes/ Martinez used to put weakened sides out

I always thought of it as a fuck you to us fans who travelled away on wet and windy November nights only to see us field a reserve side and go out to lower league opposition

Bloody Sod's law that I finally remembered to opt out of the auto cup scheme for this tournament in the year we finally take an interest

Ha! This reminds me of the Swansea game at the Liberty I went 2 years ago I think. I took my girlfriend to her first Everton match... and she hasn't been since. We were absolutely terrible. Martinez played the second team and we were destroyed. Lost 3-0 if I remember rightly. I seem to recall Hibbo starting his first game for a year or so and facing Montero. It didn't go well, to put it politely. I hope those days are gone now.

Edited by Geth