IGNORED

Who should replace Koeman?

Who should be Everton's new manager?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like to see replace Ronald Koeman as manager of Everton?

• Carlo Ancelotti
    • Thomas Tuchel
    • Eddie Howe
    • Sean Dyche
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Sam Allardyce
    • Rafael Benitez
    • David Unsworth
    • Duncan Ferguson
    • Someone else
    • Keep Koeman

The problem I have with Dyche is that managers like him very rarely translate that success anywhere else. 

Even against Newcastle last night they shipped more chances than we did against Leicester. Not to the same tap in level as Vardys goal but they should have scored one of their chances. Against the big teams he has had results against they have been absolutely battered but had the rub of the green to not concede. That doesn't last forever and I don't know how that will translate to a new team where he is expected to win every game.

13 minutes ago, Bailey said:

The problem I have with Dyche is that managers like him very rarely translate that success anywhere else. 

Even against Newcastle last night they shipped more chances than we did against Leicester. Not to the same tap in level as Vardys goal but they should have scored one of their chances. Against the big teams he has had results against they have been absolutely battered but had the rub of the green to not concede. That doesn't last forever and I don't know how that will translate to a new team where he is expected to win every game.

Moshiri does not expect us to win every game.

I watched the game last night and thought tactically they got it spot on. Not the greatest watch but he can only do what he can do with the players of a certain quality. Saying that he bought in a lad from Brentford to replace Keane and he is playing really well considering he is new to the prem.The lad played at Oldham before him so I think he has an eye for a player. £35 mill net spend in 5 years? Not bad at all 

2 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

I watched the game last night and thought tactically they got it spot on. Not the greatest watch but he can only do what he can do with the players of a certain quality. Saying that he bought in a lad from Brentford to replace Keane and he is playing really well considering he is new to the prem.The lad played at Oldham before him so I think he has an eye for a player. £35 mill net spend in 5 years? Not bad at all 

I wanted to hit on this as well.

Dyche would be dealing with higher quality players here and would thus need to play in a different style. Any manager worth a damn realizes he has to get the best out of the squad he has and find a style that will get those players results based on their quality. You wouldn't play the same style/tactics with Burnley's 11 as you would our 11 as you would Man City's 11.

As impressive as Watford has been this year, Marco Silva's previous record is getting Sporting Lisbon to third (out of three big clubs in Portugal), winning a lot at Olympiacos (easy), and almost keeping Hull up when they should've been 10-15 points adrift at the bottom (Impressive in my opinion, but WHU gave Avram Grant their job after he was involved with a relegated Portsmouth, though kept dignity in a side that was doomed and a club in administration... Then WHU finished 20th that season). To me, Silva hasn't shown over a long period of time that he is the next great manager of the PL. He's certainly done okay, but the clamor after him while the apathy towards Dyche confuses me. 

I can't see Dyche taking us forward or taking us down.  In my view, Dyche and Allardyce are desperation shouts.  If this were mid February then I might view them differently.  We're not so far adrift yet that we need to abandon all our principles. 

Unless Unsworth wins handily against Watford his claim will be spent.  

For me we have to think about who is going to be able to get the most out of our "top" players.  For all their promise, we're not going to get out of this on the back of Kenny, Davies, and DCL.  They'll have their parts to play, but Koeman wasn't wrong when he said we need our senior pros to step up.  We need to be doing everything we can to integrate Siggy, Klassen, and Morgan.  There's a spine of a team in there somewhere.  I think Ped and Baz on ToffeeTV nailed it when they said our biggest problem is a complete lack of relationships on the pitch.  No one seems to know what the man next to him is trying to do.  

I agree with Quinn and others who think Silva might be a touch overrated at the moment, also would have to seriously question why he would leave Watford right now.  Stinks of another Koeman situation where we pay out the ass to pry a manager away from their club.  They have solid backing and look to be moving in the right direction.  We'll end up over-paying, giving him a big contract and hoping that he can figure us out.  Not saying he won't do it, because he doesn't look a fool, but I'm not convinced he's the man. 

For me it's either Tuchel or Benitez.  Apart from his Liverpool connections I've no doubt Benitez is the ideal candidate, much as I previously despised the fat Spanish waiter.   Benitez, you have to think, would relish the challenge of crossing over, of moving closer to "home" and of moving into a more stable and rationale organization.  He knows the league top to bottom, he knows how to get what he can from under performing players and he also know how to push forward, deal with Europe and can manage any big names or heads in the dressing room. 

Tuchel, coming here in the middle of the season with no PL experience, is a gamble.  There are also rumblings about his mental stability, not to mention that he's expressed 0 interest in the job.  Just look at his record, he could do a job over here.  Did Dortmund under perform his second year? Maybe.  But he's a man who has come up through the ranks and knows how to manage top players.  

Please not Sean Dyche!! The bookies now have him as a clear favourite :(

Once Koeman was sacked, Sean Dyche as a replacement didn't even cross my mind at all. Seems to have found his comfort level with Burnley and I don't think he will take us anywhere.

Prior to him being linked, how many on here genuinely thought of him as a potential suitable replacement?

1 minute ago, Swarzy said:

Please not Sean Dyche!! The bookies now have him as a clear favourite :(

Once Koeman was sacked, Sean Dyche as a replacement didn't even cross my mind at all. Seems to have found his comfort level with Burnley and I don't think he will take us anywhere.

Prior to him being linked, how many on here genuinely thought of him as a potential suitable replacement?

Wouldn't surprise me if, like with transfer speculation, this is the bookies and media playing in tandem.

This morning, Sky Sports run a story with no source that we will approach Dyche. People flock to place bets. I wonder how much Sky Bet make from that? The papers run the story...how much do betting firms spend advertising in the papers?

Give it a week and they'll run with another name. Rinse. Repeat.

3 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

Wouldn't surprise me if, like with transfer speculation, this is the bookies and media playing in tandem.

This morning, Sky Sports run a story with no source that we will approach Dyche. People flock to place bets. I wonder how much Sky Bet make from that? The papers run the story...how much do betting firms spend advertising in the papers?

Give it a week and they'll run with another name. Rinse. Repeat.

Hope so. Sean Dyche just doesn't feel right for our club.

3 hours ago, Finn balor said:

I don’t think your going to go through many games and teams not have chances. 

I presume this is aimed at me.

I am not naive enough to expect a team not to have chances but when you play defensively like Dyche does you shouldn't expect to give away too much, which they dont, but they still give away enough chances. Heaton only made the England squad because he looked good making save after save. That can only go on for so long.

If we had set up to get a 0-0 from Leicester, I am pretty confident we could have. The bigger question about Dyche is whether he can get a team to go out and win games, not just set up for a draw.

3 hours ago, Finn balor said:

That's more or less how they play every game. I completely get why and he does what he can with the squad he has. Fair play to him, he is doing a great job, but expectations here are different.

I think he brings players in with good character more than anything. Tarkowski isnt that good but he plays in a very defensive team who are extremely well organised. I think I could look half decent in a defensive team like that. If you bought him and put him in Arsenal's team he would look like the Championship plodder he is.

On a slightly different tangent, some of you might be interested to know that Dyche stepped up from being one of the youth managers at Watford.

22 minutes ago, MC11 said:

If we appoint Dyke it will shown a massive lack of ambition. Say he saves us where do we go next? Because I'll be honest with you we ain't breaking the top 4 with him. The two previous appointments have been a shambles.

Another mediocre ginge. Just go and get Brendon. With the money he will get us immediate success. He got Swansea into the PL, when everyone failed. He then was one game away from winning a team that has waited over 20 years for a title.

He is now dominating a league.

Get him in.

4 minutes ago, yamar said:

Another mediocre ginge. Just go and get Brendon. With the money he will get us immediate success. He got Swansea into the PL, when everyone failed. He then was one game away from winning a team that has waited over 20 years for a title.

Get him in.

Would prefer Rafa, but would definitely have Rodgers before Dyche. 

13 minutes ago, yamar said:

Get him in.

Dominating a league? Dominating a league? Dominating.....???!!!

Mate, he's been at Celtic since May 2016 so has won the league once. The league that Celtic had won 5 years on the bounce before he arrived! Mainly because Rangers were relegated to the bottom tier of league football!!!

It's the most uncompetitive league!!!

Immediate success? Like where? The shite? He won nothing there despite having money. Came close in his middle season but was miles off either side of that.

Get Rafa. Get Brenda. Tell you what, wait until they sack Klopp then we can chase him too!!!

Evertonians eh :lol:

3 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

Dominating a league? Dominating a league? Dominating.....???!!!

Mate, he's been at Celtic since May 2016 so has won the league once. The league that Celtic had won 5 years on the bounce before he arrived! Mainly because Rangers were relegated to the bottom tier of league football!!!

It's the most uncompetitive league!!!

Immediate success? Like where? The shite? He won nothing there despite having money. Came close in his middle season but was miles off either side of that.

Get Rafa. Get Brenda. Tell you what, wait until they sack Klopp then we can chase him too!!!

Evertonians eh :lol:

He won the treble last season and was unbeaten. With the amount of games they play, I would say that takes some management.

You can't disparage what he done at Liverpool. Ask any Liverpool fan for there most recent great memories, and without doubt they will mention either the 2005 CL win or most recent, the title challenge under Rodgers.

Try and play it down as much as you want, you can't. And I see you failed to mention Swansea era with your reply.

I think Rodgers would do well back in the Premier League. Scotland is a shit league but Celtic were really crap before he turned up and now they are a half decent team again. At the moment they would beat us. One of my mates is a hard core Celtic fan and he really rates him. 

I'd have him over Rafa.

7 minutes ago, yamar said:

He won the treble last season and was unbeaten. With the amount of games they play, I would say that takes some management.

You can't disparage what he done at Liverpool. Ask any Liverpool fan for there most recent great memories, and without doubt they will mention either the 2005 CL win or most recent, the title challenge under Rodgers.

Try and play it down as much as you want, you can't. And I see you failed to mention Swansea era with your reply.

I didn't mention Swansea because I was honing in on the 'dominating the league'. It was quite obviously light hearted, hence the ':lol:'. However, as that may have been lost on you, let's do it proper.

The amount of games they play...they play the same teams 4 times over!!! The same shite teams 4 times a season. Rangers are the only challengers in times gone by...Celtic have had it on a plate since they were relegated. Again, in the cups...they play the same shite teams that they play in the league.

Disparage what he did at Liverpool? What? 7th and 6th plus a clearly one off 2nd in between. And you honestly think Liverpool fans put winning the CL in 2005 on a par with 2nd in the league? All that lot go in about is the '05 CL win. They're obsessed with that final!

He's not bad Rogers...I like his style but you're over playing his achievements a fair bit. 

9 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

I didn't mention Swansea because I was honing in on the 'dominating the league'. It was quite obviously light hearted, hence the ':lol:'. However, as that may have been lost on you, let's do it proper.

The amount of games they play...they play the same teams 4 times over!!! The same shite teams 4 times a season. Rangers are the only challengers in times gone by...Celtic have had it on a plate since they were relegated. Again, in the cups...they play the same shite teams that they play in the league.

Disparage what he did at Liverpool? What? 7th and 6th plus a clearly one off 2nd in between. And you honestly think Liverpool fans put winning the CL in 2005 on a par with 2nd in the league? All that lot go in about is the '05 CL win. They're obsessed with that final!

He's not bad Rogers...I like his style but you're over playing his achievements a fair bit. 

You can only beat what's upfront of you. That's what he does in Scotland.... Every week.

6 minutes ago, yamar said:

You can only beat what's upfront of you. That's what he does in Scotland.... Every week.

Managing Celtic is as close as you can get to guaranteed success as a manager, the opposition is that poor. Celtic dominate because they have the financial muscle and prestige to attract much better players than anyone else.

Having said that Brenda has done well with them in Europe which is a better measure.

3 minutes ago, yamar said:

Oh yeah definitely. But winning a one team league doesn't make you a management genius. My local towns first team are winning every week. Maybe I should ask Bicker to apply for the Everton job?!!!

Rogers will need to move to a proper competitve league at some point to prove himself again. But I actually think that by moving to Celtic he does his career more harm than good in terms of going 'big' again. It's going to be difficult for him to get a job on a par with Liverpool.

I think we need to have a realisation check of where we are at. We ain't going to get a top European manager who has won lots of trophies. The closets to that would be Rafa Benitez. Kenwright would never go for him and I doubt Rafa would take it now. I think we have had our chance with him previously and he got ignored. I dont think Brendan Rodgers is being considered either. I know Im in the minority but Dyche is probably the best we can get. He has something to prove and he has a solid record with zero cash. He may well be able to adapt with money and get his teams playing a different style, who knows. One thing is certain though is we would improve defensively and he'd get a better tune out of them than what we have now and that's what we need. Marco Silva gets all these shouts but he has done no better than Dyche. If it was Mark Silver v Seano Dichio, it would be the other way round and we'd all be craving the foreigner. I just fear the Steve Walsh role will also deter possible suitors. Dyche wouldnt want him there even. Steve Walsh is offering nothing for me in his position and would deter a top manager anyhow from coming. I dont think the model works full stop, and I also think it hinders our search for a new manager. Tuchel and Ancelotti would never come  so if anyone can provide a realistic alternative with a better record than Dyche.........

I'm not sure why Dyche is considered to have a good record and what the fuss is about. He got them to the Prem, then got relegated. Got them back up last season and narrowly survived finishing 16th.

I genuinely believe that the only reason he is getting mentioned, is down to the good start that Burnley have made this season. If Burnley were in the bottom 3, he would not be getting considered in my opinion.

I get that but he has had a good start. Name me a manager with a better record who we could attract? Or is available? Dyche would argue with you that he is punching way above his weight, even establishing them (despite their relegation) as a Premier League side. It's very competitive for those lower clubs and maybe this is the season he kicks them on further, who knows. I'm just saying there may be room for improvement with Dyche as he has plenty of years ahead of him. There's a ton of managers out there who crave the opportunity to manage a big club with some cash. We just about fall into that category and I cant think of anyone else of Dyche's stature who would deserve it more. Moyes got a chance all those years ago and was successful given his resources, Jesus, I'd kill for his team of 2008 - 2009 right now! Unless there's someone Ive missed from a lower level club then I'm struggling to see who we get. For me, Unsworth could take us down, Dyche wouldn't and we have to make sure of that........