IGNORED

Elephant in the room

4 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

Erm yeah, that one has been slipping year on year for 30 odd years!!!

I know this, but if all we aim for is to be better than the reds instead of being the very best, we will always fall short of what we are truly capable of.

On 21/07/2018 at 09:05, Bill said:

7th .. Everton

8th .. West Ham

9th .. Wolves

I still think wolves and West Ham  will struggle a little even though they’ll play some nice stuff. Palace is my team to be around 7th-10th if they hold on to Zaha. We’ll be 7th- 10th again. 

Think Watford, Cardiff and Brighton will go down. 

We don’t know how is coming but my fear is we don’t learn from last season

The potential addition of Richarlison isn’t addressing a terrible central midfield and centre back and no cover at left back

We need to sort these out over all others 

Maybe Digne and Mina will help if they come off but I’ve seen no links for CM

57 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Teams we play at the beginning of the campaign are beatable, do that build confidence and gain a momentum.

First game is the worst possible fixture though. Away to a promoted team is bad enough but away to the runaway winners of the the Championship containing Joao Moutinho who for years we wanted to see on the pitch in an Everton game (only he's now at the wrong end); recipe for disaster.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

First game is the worst possible fixture though. Away to a promoted team is bad enough but away to the runaway winners of the the Championship containing Joao Moutinho who for years we wanted to see on the pitch in an Everton game (only he's now at the wrong end); recipe for disaster.

FFS mike i didn't think about it till now but i am dreading this match.  you've ruined my summer :cryingsmiley:

13 hours ago, Finn balor said:

They could have potentially nine new players to the prem against us. That’s a big step up. They will be decent this year but we will hopefully scrape a win 

Scrape a win?! I’m hoping to give them a spanking. They can do well after the opening game for all I car, but if we’re aiming to scrape a win against a heavily changed, newly promoted side, then we’re proper fucked 

2 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Yep. We definitely need to shift the dead wood from the team. Besic,  Klaassen, Bolasie, Mirallas all need to follow Rooney out of the door.

I also think we need to re-evaluate our targets. Rather than trying and usually failing to snag a marquee player I would much prefer we look at players who would simply improve upon what we already have.

Fans have grumbled and groaned about Danny Welbeck, but the fact is that he would improve our squad. He would offer a lot more than Niasse in my opinion.

Disagree with all the names bar Bolasie. Welbeck will only offer improvement for the physio table. 

4 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Fans have grumbled and groaned about Danny Welbeck, but the fact is that he would improve our squad. He would offer a lot more than Niasse in my opinion.

Niasse contributed towards 11 goals last season (8 goals, 3 assists), Welbeck played 7 (5 goals, 2 assists). Both played a similar amount of minutes but I'd say it's much easier to score or get an assist for Arsenal than us, especially last season. 

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Niasse contributed towards 11 goals last season (8 goals, 3 assists), Welbeck played 7 (5 goals, 2 assists). Both played a similar amount of minutes but I'd say it's much easier to score or get an assist for Arsenal than us, especially last season. 

I would agree with that.

3 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

I agree he did with regards to our style of play. It was horrendous but his signings of Tosun and Walcott were spot on 

I’m sure he had very little to do with either of them, apart from say “aye, I know them. Good players them”, since he was only ever a panic-inspired stop-gap. 

45 minutes ago, Paddock said:

No he never- not even close. He brought in Tosun and Walcott- probably the only 2 decent buys other than Pickford since Lukaku.

Again, there’s no way he had anything more than a curtesy say in those two signings. His damage is still to be realised in its fullest extent though.