IGNORED

Elephant in the room

6 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Aaron Mooy is a good shout. We should be looking at players from these smaller clubs and trying to pick out their best players. It's what Chelsea did when Abramovic first came over.

Nathan Ake and Josh King at Bournemouth are also worth a shout.

These teams wouldn't be able to resist a respectable transfer bid made by us and they certainly cannot offer the kind of wages that we can.

I have no problem with letting players come and use the club as a springboard for a super club. If players come and do a few seasons and perform well then let them have their move to Man City, Utd, Barca, whatever.

So long as we able to collect young talented players that can perform at the top end of the table and as long as we make big clubs pay through the nose then we will do fine.

Aaron Mooy, Nathan Ake, Josh King, !!  Jeez they're no better than what we have, certainly won't take us to the next level.😣

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

Aaron Mooy, Nathan Ake, Josh King, !!  Jeez they're no better than what we have, certainly won't take us to the next level.😣

Who performed better in our midfield last season than Mooy did ?.

And who's going to take us to the next level that would come here ?.

1 minute ago, Bill said:

Richarlison, and about 3 others, but those 3 you mentioned are nowhere near good enough.

Who Bill it’s not a game of hiding seek who are they and who was better than Mooy in our midfield, and I didn’t mention them 3, but you dismissed it out of hand so I thought you had the answers. 

Problem with signing players like Mooy, Ake and King is you’d have to pay the best part of £100m to get them... good players but nowhere near the quality for the price we’d have to pay to get them here. Signing from the Premier League is not cost effective - we should be able to find equivalent players elsewhere.

55 minutes ago, Bill said:

They are far better than what we have. We need to put this 'next level' thing on hold for a minute because at the moment we are heading down a level to the Championship with some of these displays. We dont need fancy dans from fancy clubs, we need workers who want to prove themselves. We need to buy some grit, steady everything down, and then the following window we can start adding real quality.

26 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Problem with signing players like Mooy, Ake and King is you’d have to pay the best part of £100m to get them... good players but nowhere near the quality for the price we’d have to pay to get them here. Signing from the Premier League is not cost effective - we should be able to find equivalent players elsewhere.

Very true, I mentioned players like this purely because I dont watch enough foreign football!

54 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Very good point. 

2 hours ago, c1982 said:

Problem with signing 'quality' players like Mina and Digne who can't get in the Barca side is they see coming to a club like us as backwards step. They cost the earth in fees and wages and there's no guarantee they'd ever give 100% even if they did decide to join us. Look what happened to Stoke and the way some of their 'star' signings treated them. 

29 minutes ago, nogs said:

Problem with signing 'quality' players like Mina and Digne who can't get in the Barca side is they see coming to a club like us as backwards step. They cost the earth in fees and wages and there's no guarantee they'd ever give 100% even if they did decide to join us. Look what happened to Stoke and the way some of their 'star' signings treated them. 

Another very good point. 

It would seem that buying players is in the lap of the football Gods some you win some you lose, the Gods haven’t been with us that much in the last couple of years, but maybe this year is our time. 

You can only pray and believe. 

44 minutes ago, nogs said:

That’s where man management comes into it - something Silva is said to be very good at. We’re looking to sign young international players who may see us as a stepping stone - they’ll have to perform to get that ‘bigger’ move - this may even elevate us in doing so and we may begin to match the ambitions of these more illustrious signings.

With Stoke, Jesé was only on-loan, Wimmer was an over priced Premier League signing and Berahino was an exciting expensive punt which back fired - not really the same scenario as we’re talking here. Regarding their dealings with Barca - they had Bojan and Muniessa on similar deals to Geri to us - none in reality all that good and Allefay who’s had one injury too many and is long finished.

30 minutes ago, c1982 said:

That’s where man management comes into it - something Silva is said to be very good at. We’re looking to sign young international players who may see us as a stepping stone - they’ll have to perform to get that ‘bigger’ move - this may even elevate us in doing so and we may begin to match the ambitions of these more illustrious signings.

With Stoke, Jesé was only on-loan, Wimmer was an over priced Premier League signing and Berahino was an exciting expensive punt which back fired - not really the same scenario as we’re talking here. Regarding their dealings with Barca - they had Bojan and Muniessa on similar deals to Geri to us - none in reality all that good and Allefay who’s had one injury too many and is long finished.

My point is, I'd rather see players look at us as a stepping stone upwards than a step back down to then perhaps get their move to a 'top club' again. I honestly don't think the latter scenario works out too well too often. 

6 hours ago, Bill said:

Watch the France vs Australia game from the World Cup and tell me who the best player on the park was. I’m a kiwi and want  us to sign him the lad puts a 110 percent in no matter who he’s playing for. And you’re  right he’s not a “top four player”. But top 4 players won’t come here, we have a shit midfield crying out for a box to box midfielder with less than two weeks to the window closes, there’s no risk in signing him like there would be taken a punt on a younger talent from another league. 

2 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Aaron Mooy is like Jordan Henderson. Everyone turns their nose up at him but he quietly goes about his business and is an important part of the team.

Somebody has to put the hard graft in. Do the ugly stuff, not gonna score many goals but break ultimately control the tempo of the game.

I’m with you on this, we need a grafter with a bit of steel in his play, Mooy fits that bill and would be a good asset for where we are at the moment, which I think everyone agrees is “in a bad place “

For me the elephant in the room now is that no squad numbers have been released. Tells me more about players on the way out than on the way in. 

With Gylfi wearing 10 and Schneiderlin wearing 18 in the last friendly I expect those changes. But makes me ask why Schneiderlin isn’t wearing 8? 

Mirallas wearing 8 just looks like he’s half way out of the door to me. I expect movement on Williams too. I think Sandro just might be gone if a replacement turns up. 

Starting to expect squad number announcements just before the first game now. 

On 29/07/2018 at 12:13, Bailey said:

They are far better than what we have. We need to put this 'next level' thing on hold for a minute because at the moment we are heading down a level to the Championship with some of these displays. We dont need fancy dans from fancy clubs, we need workers who want to prove themselves. We need to buy some grit, steady everything down, and then the following window we can start adding real quality.

Very true, I mentioned players like this purely because I dont watch enough foreign football!

I wouldn't read too much into preseason games.

7 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I wouldn't read too much into preseason games.

I agree I was being dramatic but I dont think people really understand where we are as a team right now. They see these names on paper and think they are still the players they were before but when you actually watch them you see they arent, and in truth, probably never were it was just that they weren't watched that closely. 

We are paying players like Morgan a lot of money every week and he is letting us down time and time again. He can't even be bothered to put the effort in for a new manager. If we have a difficult start he will be the first to throw in the towel and that isn'tt good enough for me. 

I am holding some hope that it is just pre-season and things will improve. Watford werent great last pre-season either and yet started the campaign really well. I personally believe a good pre-season gives players a confidence boost heading into a new season so I think that scoring some goals and keeping a clean sheet will be huge against Valencia. 

For me preseason is more about the fitness and it showed we've got a team of snails. More often than not it's the sharper team who wins the first game of the season.. And we look miles off with players like Jags, Keane, Schneiderlin, and Baines who are too slow for this level or too old. Sigurdssen just plods along, Tosun isn'tt the quickest nor is Davies, and Gana has no positional sense. How on Earth this squad was assembled is beyond me. 

From preseason the only players who are ready are Coleman, Vlasic and Richarlison. Hoping for a miracle next week. 

On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 09:43, Matt said:

The only debatable part is whether you were capable of doing basic maths 1/3rd of the way through the season. Not a matter of burying heads in sand, it was a matter of looking at 25 games and a transfer window to go. Simply because of that, we were never in a relegation fight at the time he was appointed. Then the added fact that there were multiple teams who were even worse than us (which says something, because we were shit). He came in and continued with shit results and even worse football than we had been playing. I  said at the time I’d panic in February, because there would be less points to play for and if the football was still as bad, then we would be in a relegation fight and that’s when I really did start getting nervous, because results didn’t improve much/if any and the football got worse by the game. 

we were in a dogfight from the first kick off imo

Look, I said before the end of August that we’d fucked ourselves because of the amount of transfers, Koeman wasn’t remotely capable of dealing with the man management part and Walsh was out of his depth and comfort zone with the DoF roll. We should’ve kept Walsh on to be head scout working under Brands and gotten the best out of him, but oh well.#

we would have ended up with a st helens forward line 

My argument for the last manager causing so much trouble is the mental aspect, which is too easily dismissed by some. Hopefully I’m wrong, but there are already signs of his negativity causing issues. I’m just hoping Silva is as good as so many make out, because he’s got a lot of shit to untangle and I’m not convinced by him either. 

I agree totally

Edit. No idea why the phone changed the font size there, very strange.

yes you are

Also, apologies if I got a bit rowdy yesterday, it’s been bloody hot on the continent and it takes it toll!

not exactly cool here either Matt,  keep a couple on ice 

5 hours ago, badaids said:

How much can this elephant be signed for, he must surely be quicker on the turn than Keane?

I was just thinking he might be useful as back-up to Pickford, he'd cover most of the goal and that whippy trunk would get anything heading for the top corner. 

Me too. That was very sobering. They didn’t seem to have to try very hard to score.

Our team was full of slow, weak and unmotivated players.

defence was awful, and I mean awful.

Midfield consisted of Gana... and some other toothless players.

feont three were half decent, but none can really make chances out of nothing.

Iy changed when Dominic came on, as he had a bit of hunger. But that’s what he is, a fighter. He’s going to challenge and win balls, but when he’s doing that, there’s no one to receive it off him.

Siggy? Don’t get him at all. Lot of money for a player that is a kind of average joe.

Schneiderlin? Not sure i can add anything that hasn’t been said. Adds nothing, takes away a lot.

Keane, so much of a pussy. Looks scared, and completely devoid of any self belief.

Sandro, looks so lightweight. Just gets pushed around so easily, and this was against Spanish opposition... prem players are gonna have a field day.

there really isn’t anything to draw a positive from 🙁