IGNORED

Carabao Cup Draw

7 minutes ago, Aidan said:

No reason why he shouldn't. No European football this season means I hope we kick on with the cup games.

You never know, maybe his attacking style with thwart other teams and we can have a decent run.

i just don't get why any manager wouldn't, it basically guarantees you a contract extension.  more time to work with the team.  it's also the easiest/fastest route to success.  i'd rather win the league cup or FA cup than get 7th place and get last europa spot.  it means more.

21 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

i just don't get why any manager wouldn't, it basically guarantees you a contract extension.  more time to work with the team.  it's also the easiest/fastest route to success.  i'd rather win the league cup or FA cup than get 7th place and get last europa spot.  it means more.

Doing well doesnt guarentee it though. Puel got Southampton to a final and he was sacked, Martinez to two semis and ge was gone. Even Conte won an FA Cup and was replaced. Its not like winning a cup is easy especially now all the top 6 clubs have managers that need to win at least one trophy a season. 

Most boards will prioritise the league over domestic cups because of money and that will always be the case. 

6 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Doing well doesnt guarentee it though. Puel got Southampton to a final and he was sacked, Martinez to two semis and ge was gone. Even Conte won an FA Cup and was replaced. Its not like winning a cup is easy especially now all the top 6 clubs have managers that need to win at least one trophy a season. 

Most boards will prioritise the league over domestic cups because of money and that will always be the case. 

puel and martinez didn't win, i specified they needed to bring the trophy home.  Conte is a terrible example they get a new manager every 2 years regardless of performance, abramovich is ADD.....oh look a squirrel

good point about the league and yes i agree that's where the money is and what the bosses want but had Puel or martinez won, they'd have a lot longer leashes than they got.  Puel is honestly just a bad example his playing style is so polar opposite to soton i don't know why they hired him in the first place.

1 minute ago, rubecula said:

as we have never won the league cup it means more to the fans than it does to management I think,  but I will not expect us to win it in my lifetime, if ever.

we will win it rubes, i know it.  hell might even be this year.  the FA cup is coming home soon too, i can feel it man, i just know it.

10 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

puel and martinez didn't win, i specified they needed to bring the trophy home.  Conte is a terrible example they get a new manager every 2 years regardless of performance, abramovich is ADD.....oh look a squirrel

good point about the league and yes i agree that's where the money is and what the bosses want but had Puel or martinez won, they'd have a lot longer leashes than they got.  Puel is honestly just a bad example his playing style is so polar opposite to soton i don't know why they hired him in the first place.

I know you did but it isnt that easy. These guys got close and it didnt mean jack because their league form was crap. Martinez wouldnt have stayed on in that last year had he won the cup. Wenger won cups in his latter years but fans wanted him gone (and he would have gone had it not been for his history). Klopp and Poch havent been sacked despite not winning a cup. 

Conte isnt a bad example because he would still be at Chelsea now if he had won the league rather than the Fa Cup regardless of Abramovich. Van Gaal won an FA cup and was sacked. Laudrup was sacked the season after winning it and Dalglish was sacked the same season as winning it. Do you need more examples or will that do? 😃

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Even Brentford Arsenal could be interesting as Brentford love to score goals and Arsenal arent fond of defending! It definitely wont be a nil nil.

Went to watch Brentford play many moons ago (think it was against Aldershot) and there was a kid behind us who spent the whole match "singing" the MOTD theme (da da da da da da da da da, da dah da da da da) but only the first bit of it-over and over again-for the whole ninety minutes, and I wanted him to shut up after three; was ready to strangle him after five but it just continued. Got out of therapy last year:unsure:.

6 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Went to watch Brentford play many moons ago (think it was against Aldershot) and there was a kid behind us who spent the whole match "singing" the MOTD theme (da da da da da da da da da, da dah da da da da) but only the first bit of it-over and over again-for the whole ninety minutes, and I wanted him to shut up after three; was ready to strangle him after five but it just continued. Got out of therapy last year:unsure:.

mike he was probably "special", just be happy for him he was able to go and enjoy the match.

4 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Eldest's mate at uni was Bristol City fan. Pair of them went to Ashton Gate and got "Citeh. citeh" in their ears all match long. Just sayin'

Ashton Gate was my lad's first ever Everton game, http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_cup/3656016.stm

Stadium has been hugely improved since those days though, drove past it recently and it's unrecognisable; nieces partner is a season ticket holder. I'd love them to get promotion one day, south west could do with a top flight club. 

7 hours ago, MikeO said:

Ah - is that how it goes! Always wondered.

1 hour ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Always try to be glass half full here but can't do it this time. This is exactly the type of game that sets us up for complete disappointment at the final whistle. Hope I'm wrong...

If we carry on developing at the rate we have, we will absolutely smash them.

Hughes has got them playing relegation football already.