IGNORED

Marco Silva

18 minutes ago, pete0 said:

What's Silva done different? What's he improved? As far as I can see it's the same players (bar Richarlison being moved to the right) in the same system. 

Changed the way he communicates maybe? Changed tact in explaining what he wants? There have been changes, it’s clear to see, but identifying them is impossible unless someone on the inside tells us. 

36 minutes ago, Matt said:

Changed the way he communicates maybe? Changed tact in explaining what he wants? There have been changes, it’s clear to see, but identifying them is impossible unless someone on the inside tells us. 

Plain to see but impossible to identify? 

I didn't see anything new or different. As far as I could see we played the same formation doing the same things. DCL and Sig pressing from the front and when we had the ball we went outwide and the fullbacks pushed forward. 

20 minutes ago, pete0 said:

I didn't see anything new or different. As far as I could see we played the same formation doing the same things. DCL and Sig pressing from the front and when we had the ball we went outwide and the fullbacks pushed forward. 

Yeah, sounds stupid when you put it like that but it’s still true :lol: look at the results following the return after February’s international break - we’ve dropped 5 points from 5 games, winning 10 from a possible 15. Compare that to the 5 games before where we got 3 from 15 (plus getting dumped out of the cup). Clearly something has changed.

from the extended highlights and games since, the pressing is more proactive and energetic than the last few months, much like we played at the beginning of the season, and that comes down to a change in communication of either motivation or tactics in my opinion 

The partnerships of Digne/Bernard & Coleman/Richarlison are benefiting both pairs. Link up play has increased.  This is different from earlier in the season as Walcott was ALWAYS in the team and Bernard was on the bench.  So in my opinion Silva has certainly changed things.  Why it took him so long to do so? That is a while different discussion.

1 hour ago, sibdane said:

The passing has become a lot sharper. I think Bernard is becoming settled, and the players look like they are on the same page now and know where they can expect to pass it. Those are the most noticeable differences for me. It takes awhile to build those relationships on the pitch.

Pace in passing as well as movement, completely agree 

4 hours ago, Matt said:

Yeah, sounds stupid when you put it like that but it’s still true :lol: look at the results following the return after February’s international break - we’ve dropped 5 points from 5 games, winning 10 from a possible 15. Compare that to the 5 games before where we got 3 from 15 (plus getting dumped out of the cup). Clearly something has changed.

from the extended highlights and games since, the pressing is more proactive and energetic than the last few months, much like we played at the beginning of the season, and that comes down to a change in communication of either motivation or tactics in my opinion 

Think we've just been really lucky with the timing of the games. Klopp bottled it against us and played the extra defensive midfielder, Chelsea are disgruntled, Cardiff are gash (although so are Newcastle but we fluffed up against them), and West Ham's gaffer must be trying to get himself sacked. 

How we play reminds me of Martinez but with less tippy crappy at the back. Same game plan every week. It's all far too predictable and I'm not enjoying much. I can't think of a game this season were we've played decent opposition and out fought and outplayed them for a win. Closest would be Wolves and Bournemouth at the start of the season but in those we folded at the end. 

3 hours ago, plaidharper said:

The partnerships of Digne/Bernard & Coleman/Richarlison are benefiting both pairs. Link up play has increased.  This is different from earlier in the season as Walcott was ALWAYS in the team and Bernard was on the bench.  So in my opinion Silva has certainly changed things.  Why it took him so long to do so? That is a while different discussion.

Bernard has started most games. Richarlison has moved to the right the last couple but that's the single change in my eyes. I don't see any difference in the tactics/football though. 

I think there has been a higher intensity in the pressing to get the ball back and once we break we are doing it with real purpose. Maybe things just take time to click? I think the midfield/attackers are happy that DCL is up top and getting a run. He makes space for bentard/ charly etc and puts a real shift in 

37 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Bernard has started most games. Richarlison has moved to the right the last couple but that's the single change in my eyes. I don't see any difference in the tactics/football though. 

Bernard consistently starting on the left has not been all season thus why I listed it as a change.  

50 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Think we've just been really lucky with the timing of the games. Klopp bottled it against us and played the extra defensive midfielder, Chelsea are disgruntled, Cardiff are gash (although so are Newcastle but we fluffed up against them), and West Ham's gaffer must be trying to get himself sacked. 

How we play reminds me of Martinez but with less tippy crappy at the back. Same game plan every week. It's all far too predictable and I'm not enjoying much. I can't think of a game this season were we've played decent opposition and out fought and outplayed them for a win. Closest would be Wolves and Bournemouth at the start of the season but in those we folded at the end. 

Regardless, you can’t believe that there hasn’t been a massive improvement; the games you’ve quoted we could’ve easily lost with the form of Nov-Feb.

the energy and urgency we’ve played at is surely visible and that has to come from more than Bernard playing and Richarlison switching sides?

10 minutes ago, Matt said:

Just wondering how silly some are feeling for calling for his sacking the last few months. I didn’t want him or rate him, but the reaction recently is pleasantly proving me and many others wrong

i backed him and then when i turned the results turned around.  for the sake of this club matt i will stand firm he needs to be sacked, long may the winning continue!! :)

17 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i backed him and then when i turned the results turned around.  for the sake of this club matt i will stand firm he needs to be sacked, long may the winning continue!! :)

Keep the negativity comin!

7 hours ago, pete0 said:

Yes you did - we won. How about players are starting to understand his system and style better, players are starting to gel, find their own form, learn their own roles? Or do you just want to have it that when we lose, it's the manager's fault, but when we win it's nothing to do with him? 

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

I've hold that we should take stock at the end of the season and I still do. 

7 hours ago, pete0 said:

You are right we haven’t changed the formation or tactics, the big plus for me is the 3 in the middle have become a unit that work hard for each other, when we lose possession there first thought is get behind the ball and work to get it back, which in turn is having a good effect on the defence. 

So for me it’s more of a attitude or mindset change that has seen us improve, is that down to Silva I would like to think so, I called him weak because the team were weak in there attitude and decisions, and I believe a team reflects it’s manager. 

Did he become stronger with the players in the dressing room at half time in the Chelsea game, the players have made hints that they were read the riot act, and if so they become stronger because he became stronger that’s my opinion, and if we see that same intensity in all our games going forward I would feel a lot more positive towards him. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

You are right we haven’t changed the formation or tactics, the big plus for me is the 3 in the middle have become a unit that work hard for each other, when we lose possession there first thought is get behind the ball and work to get it back, which in turn is having a good effect on the defence. 

So for me it’s more of a attitude or mindset change that has seen us improve, is that down to Silva I would like to think so, I called him weak because the team were weak in there attitude and decisions, and I believe a team reflects it’s manager. 

Did he become stronger with the players in the dressing room at half time in the Chelsea game, the players have made hints that they were read the riot act, and if so they become stronger because he became stronger that’s my opinion, and if we see that same intensity in all our games going forward I would feel a lot more positive towards him. 

This. It’s the same tactics, just better application. For me the players are working hard again, like they were before Anfield. 

21 hours ago, nogs said:

Yes you did - we won. How about players are starting to understand his system and style better, players are starting to gel, find their own form, learn their own roles? Or do you just want to have it that when we lose, it's the manager's fault, but when we win it's nothing to do with him? 

We blame the manager for Newcastle without giving credit to them. Why would you credit Silva when the fortune favoured is with teams imploding? Give credit were its due and when it's deserved, not simply because we won. 

14 minutes ago, pete0 said:

We blame the manager for Newcastle without giving credit to them. Why would you credit Silva when the fortune favoured is with teams imploding? Give credit were its due and when it's deserved, not simply because we won. 

Because the Newcastle game we were dominant then collapsed because of a change of tactics. That’s why Silva got the blame. 

9 minutes ago, Matt said:

Because the Newcastle game we were dominant then collapsed because of a change of tactics. That’s why Silva got the blame. 

Newcastle scored before the change in tactics. Their goal was coming and he took to long to make the change to prevent it. 

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Newcastle scored before the change in tactics. Their goal was coming and he took to long to make the change to prevent it. 

We didn’t hound them anywhere near as much as we did in the first half. Something changed during halftime, not just the change of shape 

I just like the fact that Silva has shown more bottle, tenacity, a desire to improve and adapt and to put the club before his ego.....

It puts the shit that we suffered under allardyce into perspective.  What a fookin joke of a manager and a vile person that man is....cupping his ears to the fans who voiced their displeasure for his disgraceful tactics against West Brom,  winding supporters up, slagging off the club who paid him a fortune for 6 months work after he spent most Mondays sunning himself in his villa and leaving coaches to pick up the pieces. 

Classless greedy bastard. 

16 hours ago, pete0 said:

After they scored their first goal, we went up the other end and nearly got a third. We then had more chances to get that third.

Then we made changes.

Against Chelsea, we changed something fat half time and came out believing.

Against Weat Ham, we started out on the front foot, and never let them get a hold of the game to get back in.

Has anyone ever heard the term “brought down to their level”? It’s common for pub teams as well as Barca. 

It must be awful to be unable to alter your opinion of something because arrogance and need to be right is all too powerful.  

I think most of us didn't rate Steven Naismith to start with....  but his determination and application made him a top asset to our club and well loved.   

I genuinely see a desire from Silva to be a success.... I don't think it was evident a good few weeks back but it is now.