IGNORED

Moise Kean

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

He did work hard but he wasn't a threat at any point in that game.

So did I. I'm very excited by him already.

He's an absolute beast of a man. He looks up for a scrap as well - he didn't take a step back when the Watford players were obviously trying to test him with the rough stuff.

I don't think it's unfair at all. Yeah, DCL worked hard but, like I said to Matt, he wasn't a threat in the game at all. He didn't look like he even knew how to make himself a threat either. It's all good and well working hard on the half-way line like DCL did but he needs to get himself further up the pitch where it counts. Kean did it and he did it at a time when we were sitting very deep. He was a threat because he's a natural striker. But it's not like he was only interested in that side of the game, he worked his arse off as well while being a goal threat.

Not being a threat wouldn’t have been an issue if Richarlison had put his gifted chances away. I’m fine with a hard working forward not scoring goals if the people he’s creating chances for actually finish. Long run, I hope we have someone who can do both, and it won’t be DCL because he can’t finish. But for now, I’m very happy with him. 

Is he creating chances though? Is he producing a moment of sublime skill to bring other players in? No he’s not. I like DCl but he’s limited. His job is to score goals. It’s no good saying I’m fine he doesn’t score goals. If we want to do owt this season then he needs to start scoring soon. If not he’s a sub that defends a lead from the front 

49 minutes ago, Matt said:

Not being a threat wouldn’t have been an issue if Richarlison had put his gifted chances away. I’m fine with a hard working forward not scoring goals if the people he’s creating chances for actually finish. Long run, I hope we have someone who can do both, and it won’t be DCL because he can’t finish. But for now, I’m very happy with him. 

But his stats for assists aren't that good either, and Richarlison's poor finishing was shocking.

I honestly can't remember the lead up to the first header but from 12 yards with no pressure it was well high, so I couldn't really say if DCL had a part to play in it but he didn't on the second from a free kick which was better but still off target.

I wholeheartedly agree that he goes out there every game and gives his best, and I admire him for that but unfortunately at the moment his best is just not good enough for us, and because of his attitude I really wish it was.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

A striker not being a threat is always an issue, no matter what else they may bring to the table. I don’t even think he helped others yesterday either. He was just there. 

7 minutes ago, Palfy said:

But his stats for assists aren't that good either, and Richarlison's poor finishing was shocking.

I honestly can't remember the lead up to the first header but from 12 yards with no pressure it was well high, so I couldn't really say if DCL had a part to play in it but he didn't on the second from a free kick which was better but still off target.

I wholeheartedly agree that he goes out there every game and gives his best, and I admire him for that but unfortunately at the moment his best is just not good enough for us, and because of his attitude I really wish it was.

First one was a free kick from Siggy as well. 

10 minutes ago, Palfy said:

His best moment was when he charged at their defender pressing him near the touch line and then managed to win the ball some how. That was to set up Richarlison, can't remember if DCL passed it or made the cross himself though. 

24 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

A striker not being a threat is always an issue, no matter what else they may bring to the table. I don’t even think he helped others yesterday either. He was just there. 

I look forward to when stats show how a player pulls 2 others out of position. I know I only got bits and pieces yesterday but he was a fucking headache for their central defence and we should’ve capitalised on it fromwhat I saw

53 minutes ago, pete0 said:

His best moment was when he charged at their defender pressing him near the touch line and then managed to win the ball some how. That was to set up Richarlison, can't remember if DCL passed it or made the cross himself though. 

Did Richarlison get a shot off as I don't recall that attempt? 

DCL played the ball to Richarlison to win the free kick for the 2nd chance he should have scored and it was a good one touch pass around the corner but not exactly mind blowing. 

47 minutes ago, Matt said:

I look forward to when stats show how a player pulls 2 others out of position. I know I only got bits and pieces yesterday but he was a fucking headache for their central defence and we should’ve capitalised on it fromwhat I saw

So do midfielders though or defenders. 

51 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

And that’s the problem Pete. If that’s all he’s got to show from his performance then I’m sorry he doesn’t deserve to start 

I don't know what people are expecting from him. He can only work with what he's given and he's not had any service. He's not missed any sitters of note. 

8 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Did Richarlison get a shot off as I don't recall that attempt? 

DCL played the ball to Richarlison to win the free kick for the 2nd chance he should have scored and it was a good one touch pass around the corner but not exactly mind blowing. 

Main thing I remember was he won the ball when he had no right to in their half near the touch line, I'm sure it ended up with a chance to Richarlison. 

Anyone watch Marco’s after match interviews?

He said he could see the tactics aren’t working and knew that if he brought Kean on, we could change it up and hit them on the break. 

I mean, it’s almost like he changed the set up to suit Kean, but knew that wouldn't work from the start. Sigh .....we’re not full of football coaches here are we 😉

30 minutes ago, pete0 said:
1 hour ago, Finn balor said:

I don't know what people are expecting from him. He can only work with what he's given and he's not had any service. He's not missed any sitters of note. 

You have to have good movement in the right places to get service, Kean was an example of that got given the ball a lot more and had more attempts at goal because he made the right moves and got himself in better positions to be picked out. 

28 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Anyone watch Marco’s after match interviews?

He said he could see the tactics aren’t working and knew that if he brought Kean on, we could change it up and hit them on the break. 

I mean, it’s almost like he changed the set up to suit Kean, but knew that wouldn't work from the start. Sigh .....we’re not full of football coaches here are we 😉

We were leading one nil the chance to hit on the counter was Walcott. Kean was like for like. 

2 minutes ago, Palfy said:

You have to have good movement in the right places to get service, Kean was an example of that got given the ball a lot more and had more attempts at goal because he made the right moves and got himself in better positions to be picked out. 

Kean come on against tired legs and as Watford committing players forward. His off ball was quite poor with Sig shouting at him. 

3 minutes ago, pete0 said:

We were leading one nil the chance to hit on the counter was Walcott. Kean was like for like. 

Kean come on against tired legs and as Watford committing players forward. His off ball was quite poor with Sig shouting at him. 

Come on Pete your clutching at straws now mate, some strikers in other teams have scored more goals than he’s had shots on target in the same amount of games. 

It wasn’t like for like PeteO, the manager said he brought him on to hit them on the break. Which is why we saw one on ones with Keane, and the team sitting deeper. 

When DCL was on the pitch, we were higher up because we didn’t want to be defending for a whole 45 minutes. 

We should be happy that we now have options like this. It’s a good thing!

3 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Come on Pete your clutching at straws now mate, some strikers in other teams have scored more goals than he’s had shots on target in the same amount of games. 

Most teams have players in their team that have had more shots than our whole team.

We aren’t creating anywhere near enough chances.

4 hours ago, Finn balor said:

And that’s the problem Pete. If that’s all he’s got to show from his performance then I’m sorry he doesn’t deserve to start 

Then who does? Kean who has played about an hour of football for us so far? 

Let's give it to dom for the next few games and let Kean have a taste every now and then. Once he starts scoring goals himself then we can start to question why Dom is leading the line. 

"He works hard" is the only quote Ive read with reference to DCL. I'd work hard too if I was playing but unfortunately that isn't enough. Denis Straqualursi worked hard but we wouldnt have him up front. I get the affinity towards him because he goes about his business well, looks the ultimate professional and some players just have that "likeability factor" when you chase things down. Unfortunately that doesnt win you games. Kean looks like he just wants to score. You can see the hunger to find the back of the net and from that cameo, all his movement and touches are directed towards him trying to score.

DCL looks like he has picked up from where he left last season, just running his balls off but no end product and he never looks like scoring. He isn't going to suddenly become this goal machine which is what we need. The only way for me he ever gets a game is to be used as a foil alongside Kean in a 4-4-2. But this for me is a push. He loses the ball too much.

5 hours ago, pete0 said:

Swapping one striker for another doesn’t just mean it’s like for like. I know I keep banging on about these things Pete but you just don’t see the difference in tactics unless there is a change in formation. It was absolutely clear as day how the tactics changed for Kean. Everything for DCL was up in the air for him, then Kean comes on and they play balls to feet and for him to run on to. It was a clear change in tactic. Yeah the Watford players may have been tired, but we still changed tactics to suit Kean. 

2 minutes ago, StevO said:

Swapping one striker for another doesn’t just mean it’s like for like. I know I keep banging on about these things Pete but you just don’t see the difference in tactics unless there is a change in formation. It was absolutely clear as day how the tactics changed for Kean. Everything for DCL was up in the air for him, then Kean comes on and they play balls to feet and for him to run on to. It was a clear change in tactic. Yeah the Watford players may have been tired, but we still changed tactics to suit Kean. 

They played the ball to his feet because he kept dropping out of position, he drifted back and to the left. I don't think that was tactics as Sigurdssen shouted at him and was noticeably annoyed. 

As much as Kean looks to be a potential world beater his off ball has a lot to improve going from yesterday. 

He has contributed of course he has but in the games when it’s tight especially away from home are you confident he will take that one chance that falls to him? I’m not because he has proven that he doesn’t. I’m  not trying to slag him off. I think he’s a really good player and I love his work ethic but other players have that and score aswell. 

2 hours ago, Aidan said:

Look at our form over the last 10 games, there is no viable reason to drop him.

I like DCL but this isn't a good argument. By this logic you wouldn't play Ronaldo over DCL because we've gotten results with him in the team. It's possible to consider individual performances and not just look at a scoreline.