IGNORED

January Transfer Window

2 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

CM the priority for me, RW another one.  Here are some players i'd like in two categories.  i need to think about who i want at RW.  what reinforcements do you want?

CM

Preferred options - Adrien Rabiot, Morgan Sanson, Abdoulaye Doucoure

Cheap/loan options - Victor Wanyama

Agreed on CM and RW, but I'd also be looking at another CB. 

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

i think it's the least of our worries.  Mina is great, holgate is growing into it, keane is a solid backup.  the midfield and having no real RW (walcott is shite, sidibe is not a RW) are the issues for me.

Mina has been good, not great. That’s not a dig, he’s stepped up massively in my eyes. 2 players, CM and RW I agree with, but I’ve there’s another CB out there, we should be all over that too. 

ive not seen much of Doucoure but from what I have seen he’s overrated. Still, better than any of our fit CMs

CB and CM all day long. 

It was stupidity going into the season with only three CBs, we're really lucky Holgate has come on as he has done but he's still learning, Mina is OK, Keane is just utter shit and needs moving on, especially as Ancellotti clearly wants his defenders to play football. We really need a leader, an organiser who can defend and play. I'd love Mings, Ben White has had a fantastic season at Leeds on loan from Brighton, we've been linked with Egan at Sheff Utd and he's the lynch pin of a very good defense so why not. 

CM, well its all about making sure we don't ever have to play Schneiderlin again really. I get the shouts for Cantwell coz he looks a good player but I think we need a genuine box to box all rounder rather than ANOTHER AM/no 10, we've still got Bernard, Sigurdsson and Iwobi! Rabiot would be great, especially as a loan makes sense with Gbamin and Gomes to come back. I think Mooy would be great at Everton, an absolute 100%er in the traditional Goodison hero mould. I've said it elsewhere but based on his performances this season, I'd love Lundstram back, his sheer energy and work rate are absolutely what we're crying out for in the middle. 

1 minute ago, nogs said:

CB and CM all day long. 

It was stupidity going into the season with only three CBs, we're really lucky Holgate has come on as he has done but he's still learning, Mina is OK, Keane is just utter shit and needs moving on, especially as Ancellotti clearly wants his defenders to play football. We really need a leader, an organiser who can defend and play. I'd love Mings, Ben White has had a fantastic season at Leeds on loan from Brighton, we've been linked with Egan at Sheff Utd and he's the lynch pin of a very good defense so why not. 

CM, well its all about making sure we don't ever have to play Schneiderlin again really. I get the shouts for Cantwell coz he looks a good player but I think we need a genuine box to box all rounder rather than ANOTHER AM/no 10, we've still got Bernard, Sigurdsson and Iwobi! Rabiot would be great, especially as a loan makes sense with Gbamin and Gomes to come back. I think Mooy would be great at Everton, an absolute 100%er in the traditional Goodison hero mould. I've said it elsewhere but based on his performances this season, I'd love Lundstram back, his sheer energy and work rate are absolutely what we're crying out for in the middle. 

100%.

11 minutes ago, nogs said:

CB and CM all day long. 

I agree about the CM / CB. They must be our priorities, including the type of midfielder you have mentioned.

I'm not so sure on some of the players as I fear that the Sheffield Utd players in particular look good because of who they play for and how they play. Lundstram in particular is a really limited player at this level. He isn't going to sort any of our problems. Mings could get into the Bournemouth side who ship goals for fun but then again I have been relatively impressed when I have seen him but not enough to suggest he is worth the price Villa paid or let alone the price we would have to pay. Having said that there isn't anyone I know of that I think would be worth going for instead that is significantly better. 

43 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I agree about the CM / CB. They must be our priorities, including the type of midfielder you have mentioned.

I'm not so sure on some of the players as I fear that the Sheffield Utd players in particular look good because of who they play for and how they play. Lundstram in particular is a really limited player at this level. He isn't going to sort any of our problems. Mings could get into the Bournemouth side who ship goals for fun but then again I have been relatively impressed when I have seen him but not enough to suggest he is worth the price Villa paid or let alone the price we would have to pay. Having said that there isn't anyone I know of that I think would be worth going for instead that is significantly better. 

Exactly - you can't think of any ready-made stars who will come in and transform us. So let's stop pretending we're the big time and getting our pants pulled down signing 'stars' who turn out to be shit. Let's go back to investing in character and potential, players who are willing to learn, who are hungry to improve and have already shown they can step up when asked. I don't want us to be chasing the same players as the Sky 6 right now because we'll have to throw cash at them to compensate for the lack of European football we can offer and we'll end up with the mercenaries. I want hungry players that our supposedly world class coach can mould into winners. 

1 hour ago, nogs said:

CB and CM all day long. 

I’m in agreement on the positions,  and we all really need to be realistic with where we are after the weekend, we were laughed at Sunday and in the press on Monday, and it’s still going on,  which is possibly going to affect some in wanting to come here.  Player wise in not sold on Mings, I’d prefer Ake if we could get him. Mooy is the type of player who would suit us right now, not quite there for a top 6 side but could help move us there, but like Drinkwater did well at Leicester in there winning season ( and NO I don’t want Drinkwater ! ) Somewhat slightly optimistic Marcus Rashford, front 3 of him DCL and Richy would frighten many defences.

Its going to be an interesting window to see who does come in and who we manage to offload

39 minutes ago, nogs said:

Exactly - you can't think of any ready-made stars who will come in and transform us. So let's stop pretending we're the big time and getting our pants pulled down signing 'stars' who turn out to be shit. Let's go back to investing in character and potential, players who are willing to learn, who are hungry to improve and have already shown they can step up when asked. I don't want us to be chasing the same players as the Sky 6 right now because we'll have to throw cash at them to compensate for the lack of European football we can offer and we'll end up with the mercenaries. I want hungry players that our supposedly world class coach can mould into winners. 

Mings is in the same category as Keane for me. We will massively over pay for a player that hasn't yet shown that he is able to play at the top level. I say top level because that it what his price will be. 

Put it this way, we probably signed Mina for not far off half as much as we could sign Mings for now. I would much prefer Mina. 

The same applied to Ake too. He is being quoted at £50+mil. I like him, but he isn't worth that. Ironically you want to sign that type of player when they get released by the top clubs, another angle that people on here have poured scorn over.

I'll also add into this, which players have we signed that are "stars"? We haven't signed anyone who had proven themselves as an elite player. We have paid over the odds for domestic players that aren't worth it... Siggy, Schneiderlin, Bolasie, Keane, Walcott, Keane, Delph etc etc

9 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Mings is in the same category as Keane for me. We will massively over pay for a player that hasn't yet shown that he is able to play at the top level. I say top level because that it what his price will be. 

Put it this way, we probably signed Mina for not far off half as much as we could sign Mings for now. I would much prefer Mina. 

The same applied to Ake too. He is being quoted at £50+mil. I like him, but he isn't worth that. Ironically you want to sign that type of player when they get released by the top clubs, another angle that people on here have poured scorn over.

I'll also add into this, which players have we signed that are "stars"? We haven't signed anyone who had proven themselves as an elite player. We have paid over the odds for domestic players that aren't worth it... Siggy, Schneiderlin, Bolasie, Keane, Walcott, Keane, Delph etc etc

Sigurdsson, Walcott, Schneiderlin came here with big reputations. Delph has long been rated, rightly or wrongky, as a top pro. Keane is a media darling and conned Southgate into making him first choice England CB for a while. My point is, we've aimed for elite players and ended up getting the dregs of players who see themselves in that category, want the pay packet to back it up, but can't show they're worth it on the pitch. 

I don't think I suggested anyone released from a 'top' club, did I? I see that as dangerous. I want us to sign players on the way up, not down. 

48 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

I've been saying we need to start thinking outside of the box with recruitment. Stop chasing big names and look for diamonds in the rough. Some of them will stay with us for good, some will get sold for mega money. Either way we need to have a more sustainable recruitment policy than what we currently have and we need to ensure that players are attracted by the shirt and not the pay cheque.

Yep, spot on. 

3 minutes ago, nogs said:

Sigurdsson, Walcott, Schneiderlin came here with big reputations. Delph has long been rated, rightly or wrongky, as a top pro. Keane is a media darling and conned Southgate into making him first choice England CB for a while. My point is, we've aimed for elite players and ended up getting the dregs of players who see themselves in that category, want the pay packet to back it up, but can't show they're worth it on the pitch. 

I don't think I suggested anyone released from a 'top' club, did I? I see that as dangerous. I want us to sign players on the way up, not down. 

In my opinion, the likes of Mings are the same now as Keane. Average enough players getting hyped by the media because they are English and doing well. Same with Ben Mee and Tarkowski not long ago. 

In terms of wages etc, Mings will be the same now as well. Lundstram / Egan won't yet but there if Sheffield keep doing well it won't be long.

No you didn't, that was reference to others who are also making comments on our transfer policy.

1 hour ago, Wiggytop said:

I’m in agreement on the positions,  and we all really need to be realistic with where we are after the weekend, we were laughed at Sunday and in the press on Monday, and it’s still going on,  which is possibly going to affect some in wanting to come here.  Player wise in not sold on Mings, I’d prefer Ake if we could get him. Mooy is the type of player who would suit us right now, not quite there for a top 6 side but could help move us there, but like Drinkwater did well at Leicester in there winning season ( and NO I don’t want Drinkwater ! ) Somewhat slightly optimistic Marcus Rashford, front 3 of him DCL and Richy would frighten many defences.

Its going to be an interesting window to see who does come in and who we manage to offload

He's 29 and runs like he has lead in his boots.  Is he an intelligent and tidy footballer?  Yes.  Is he what we need?  Not in a million years.  Might as well have kept Davy Klassen.

Centre back and Right back for me.

Then a solid energetic midfielder.

Keane is useless, I don’t see how he still gets picked. Holgate is rapidly becoming our best CB, but him and Mina need competition.

Coleman is on his last legs. We need a solid right back to replace him, and I’m afraid the new Goodison obstructed view isn’t good enough.

Midfield we need competition rather than first teamers, as Gomes will be back and I want to see what Gbamin can do.

I’ve said it constantly but young lad at West Brom who is stalling on a new contract. Nathan Ferguson. Can play right back or left back. We should be in for him straight away even if we let them keep him till next season. We deffo need a centre back. Preferably one with real pace. I disagree we don’t need starters in midfield. That is exactly what we need. A real quality midfielder but they cost big bucks. 

12 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

We have Delph, Morgan for short term fixes tho shukes. If Carlos here for five years he wants good players not shite.

Swear at me like that again and I don’t know what I’ll do!

Never utter those words again.

haha I know what you mean. I just really want to see Gbamin and I already have a man crush for Gomes.