IGNORED

January Transfer Window

6 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Anyone else getting deja vu? It’s been a while but that old chestnut of us not doing business in January means we can do more in the summer is back. It never worked out that way but that’s beside the point I suppose  

The good old days, ladies and gentlemen :lol:.

Well everyone looks at Everton for guidance when they don't know what to do, and doing the opposite generally keeps them in good stead😆

17 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

We have no control over the owner, board, DoF or manager. All we can do is look at what lies in front of us and want better. We all want better. January deadwood doesn't make us better. Everyone keeps pointing to all these teams that signed players but I'm not in any way convinced they've all improved. 

Bournemouth signed a bunch of fliers who have absolutely no experience in this league.
Villa signed a LB from Spain to cover for Digne, that's it.
Palace signed a midfielder who wasn't playing for Arsenal, wouldn't say they've strengthened in a big way.
Fulham signed one guy from Italy and Arsenal's backup RB. 
Forest signed 7 more players I certainly wouldn't want in our starting XI.
Southampton have certainly gone for it, credit to them but again right now we don't know that they've gotten better.
West Ham signed Ings. Does that really scare anyone?
Wolves, Leicester and Leeds have all done well, credit to them. 

I've always been fascinated by the idea that an active transfer window means you've strengthened. We've been active for 4 years and continually get worse. Perhaps we did ourselves a favor. 

The last line hits the nail on the head. Whilst I get that it is good to have some depth, unless those players are replacing the starters then how much have those teams actually strengthened.

Whilst Southampton have brought in 5 players, how many of those are going to improve them? From the little I have seen, their two headline signings are questionable. See how they get on but there is a good chance they would have been better off recalling Nathan Tella who is having a decent spell at Burnley than signing the players they have to fill those attacking positions.

There is no doubt that we could have done with something extra in those attacking positions, especially after the sale of Gordon but at the same time, pissing money up the wall on shite is what has got us into this position in the first place.

I think the depth is as big an issue as anything.

Whilst he may be able to get something better out of our players and our team set up that sees us perform better we have a very limited squad numbers wise and one or two injuries would cripple us.

We have 2 first choice wingers with potential backup from Iwobi and Stan Mills.  Given that McNeil has struggled thus far he's now likely to be promoted to playing every game.

We have DCL as our main striker with Maupay so far showing that he's not someone that can be up front by himself.  If DCL was out we are left with Maupay and Simms.  Even Gordon who stood in a few times at the start of the season is gone so a DCL injury would leave us with 2 fit strikers, one who's done very little and the other who has done alright in the Championship but is essentially untried in the Premier League.

Defensively and midfield wise I think we can cope with the odd injury if we had to but in attack I think those positions really are very thin on the ground.

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Honestly. I know a bit of fun is being made of this but it’s actually a big thing. 

psychologically training with shin pads removes the “I can be nice and chilled on the ball cos Godfrey can’t kick me with no shinnies on”…..  if I seen a group of lads in the soccer 6s wearing shinnies I knew I was in for a game, none of this “eh we gotta work tomorrow lads” it’s game on.

that’s how we need to train, as we play. It will sharpen the players on the ball

Exactly training isn't just about fitness and pretty patterns of play, it's about setting your stall out on how you intend to perform in game time, as a individual and a team, so you need to make training feel as close as possible to game time. So Dyche imo is saying to players stop pussyfooting about and start getting real. 

• 11 months later...

Transfer market is very flat - our 10 points deduction and ourselfs and Forest also being hauled over the coals for the 22/23 season means all of a sudden the reality of scrutiny of clubs spending is properly hitting home. This will all have a signficant effect on the actual value of players.

Clubs will be using the arguement that '..the PL make the rules up as they go all..and issuing excessive punishments' has itself effected the transfer market - you'll do well to get £35M for a £50M player at this moment in time, and it may run in to the next couple of transfer windows. Depending where you are as a club in a spending cycle, then this in itself could cause a few clubs short term FFP problems.

55 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

Transfer market is very flat - our 10 points deduction and ourselfs and Forest also being hauled over the coals for the 22/23 season means all of a sudden the reality of scrutiny of clubs spending is properly hitting home. This will all have a signficant effect on the actual value of players.

Clubs will be using the arguement that '..the PL make the rules up as they go all..and issuing excessive punishments' has itself effected the transfer market - you'll do well to get £35M for a £50M player at this moment in time, and it may run in to the next couple of transfer windows. Depending where you are as a club in a spending cycle, then this in itself could cause a few clubs short term FFP problems.

Which could potentially put a lot more pressure on the league too. There are a lot of very rich people missing out on getting more rich if transfers aren't happening.

its disapointing we have not even managed to get a loan or two over the line given we have room for them. Seeing a player like Bretton Diaz loaned to Sheff Utd was a bit sickening. Already bagged a couple of goals. I guess we have enough cover up front at the moment - it's just they can't find the net.