IGNORED

January Transfer Window

8 minutes ago, Tonsta said:

No doubt we will Ayew on a free at 33 and no club, and be told that is all we are getting, there was a reason SD was only appointed 24 hour before the transfer window closed, and we had deals fall through at the last minuet, i am convinced the owner sees the parachute payment when we go down as funds for the new ground.

You're dancing around the issue, I see.

9 minutes ago, Tonsta said:

We are the only team to be weaker now than before, we sold our brightest prospect, besides what we think of his attitude of late, we sold him late so no time to replace him.

If you mean Gordon, I agree now with those who claim his head turned permanently in the summer. He's not been the player he was, so we were right to cash in on him. We could probably get more for him now than waiting until the summer. I have no issue with that transaction.

Don’t know much about him to be honest. But reading the comments is very interesting. I thought this would be another Rondon, but people are making him out to be much much better. Could end up being just what we need for the rest of the season….  Which means he is going to Palace!

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

If you mean Gordon, I agree now with those who claim his head turned permanently in the summer. He's not been the player he was, so we were right to cash in on him. We could probably get more for him now than waiting until the summer. I have no issue with that transaction.

Don't think you should cash in on someone without a replacement in place when facing relegation, wrong priorities.

17 hours ago, Btay said:

We needed to at least replace him with a body - even if it was Dobbin back on loan as an option off the bench.

If Gray or Dom get any injuries our goal threat goes from minimal to non existent.

18 games to find a minimum of 25 points, it’s going to take something special.

We should be able to recall Dobbin at any stage so that can still happen.

5 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I thought that when I saw the move to Union fell through. Not sure that is where Dyche is heading.

DoF calls the shots really and I think Dyche would he happy with a forward of any quality. It would also be a media appeasing signing to a small degree too. No brainer really. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

DoF calls the shots really and I think Dyche would he happy with a forward of any quality. It would also be a media appeasing signing to a small degree too. No brainer really. 

DoF and manager need to be aligned, otherwise we just go back to where we have been in the past. 

Paying another player big money on a longer contract that we probably want to when he doesnt fit the managers plans is the opposite of what we need to do IMO.

I've seen the narrative about the late manager change causing a lack of time for Dyche to get players wheeled out a few times and this really irks me.

Whilst Dyche may have some different type of targets to what Lampard had, ultimately most of the players that we were linked with in the last few days of the window were players we'd either been linked with under Frank previously or would have easily fitted either way.  The only couple that you could say were maybe more Dyche types were the 2 big strikers I heard mentioned.

The fact is Lampard was pretty much saying ever since the previous window that he needed players and as we went into the World Cup break having seen the lack of quality particularly in attack he and Thelwell knew what was needed and had plenty of time to draw up a list of potentials, do due diligence on them and thus have a good idea of what they wanted at the start of the month.  I know it can be tough for teams outside of the top teams to get players they really want early in the transfer window but there seemed to be a distinct lack of activity to me that suggested either we weren't willing to spend until we got some money in or they just weren't going to back Lampard.

If it's the former then that's not a surprise and does explain the push for loans earlier on which would have been fine if they could have got something over the line.  If it was the later then they weren't helping anyone.  Keeping on a manger they expected to sack who expressed he needed new players and not giving him any whilst keeping him on and watching him struggle!

I do think the clubs situation doesn't help us.  League position, board doing shit negotiation, discontent with fans and board and dare i say it things like video's of players being blocked off and confronted in the street whilst trying to leave games don't help entice a player to a club espeically when you're also likely to not want to offer high wages as a sweetner!

I do think the whole thing has put us in a very awkard position and we are now unfortunatley heavily reliant on Dyche to get a lot out of a group of players who have shown a major lack of confidence and in many cases a lack of real application and desire.

I do think there are players in there but it will be a massive job to get them performing to their best.

One thing a couple of transfers would have done if nothing else is a) lift the players to believe that they will see a bit of a new spark in the team and b) lift those players whose plays is subsenquently put at threat.  A new manager along with a new winger would both give McNeil the chance of working to perform for a new manager whilst also realising that he's got to fight for his place which now with Gordon gone he really doesn't need to!

Looing at potential in youth, it could be an opportunity for Stanley Mills to stake his place at getting some time on the wing

2 hours ago, badaids said:

I think that whether we go down, or stay up, this will prove to have been a successful window, with no expensive future deadwood.

In any case, us staying up depends on Dyche organising the squad we already have.

Agree. Call me crazy but I'm actually encouraged by the window with one major caveat. Simply, our chances at relegation haven't changed all that much, nor would they have with a signing or two but we've managed to create much needed flexibility in the summer. Thelwell will either be buying 3-4 prem players or turning over the roster in the championship but either way we'll have the resources to accomplish our goal. 

All that said we're still completely unable to change the perspective around our club. Encouraged by how many targets Thelwell had and their profile for the most part. No more Tosun's, Walcott's, Niasse's for christ's sake. What he couldn't overcome (even without the board meddling in his business) was the fact it's incredibly clear players are put off by our current situation. Without changing that Thelwell is f***ed. 

Our options for this season were/are: Stay up and have an active window, stay up with what we've got, relegated and have an active window or relegated with what we've got. Option 3 would obviously be worst case. Option 4 is next then Option 1 then Option 2. We've (unintentionally mind you) gone for the best option. 

Ok, it looks like we know what the senior squad is now what we have until the end of the season, it is desperately thin numbers wise the the offensive area. 

I will admit I generally know very little of the talent in our academy. Who are the most likely candidates, mainly offensively, who may now be unexpectedly called upon to support the senior squad? There may be places on the bench and opportunities to get some first team minutes.  Sometimes this sort of situation offers somebody a chance out of necessity. 

Any fast trackable teens waiting in the wings?

20 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Anyone else getting deja vu? It’s been a while but that old chestnut of us not doing business in January means we can do more in the summer is back. It never worked out that way but that’s beside the point I suppose  

The good old days, ladies and gentlemen :lol:.

We have no control over the owner, board, DoF or manager. All we can do is look at what lies in front of us and want better. We all want better. January deadwood doesn't make us better. Everyone keeps pointing to all these teams that signed players but I'm not in any way convinced they've all improved. 

Bournemouth signed a bunch of fliers who have absolutely no experience in this league.
Villa signed a LB from Spain to cover for Digne, that's it.
Palace signed a midfielder who wasn't playing for Arsenal, wouldn't say they've strengthened in a big way.
Fulham signed one guy from Italy and Arsenal's backup RB. 
Forest signed 7 more players I certainly wouldn't want in our starting XI.
Southampton have certainly gone for it, credit to them but again right now we don't know that they've gotten better.
West Ham signed Ings. Does that really scare anyone?
Wolves, Leicester and Leeds have all done well, credit to them. 

I've always been fascinated by the idea that an active transfer window means you've strengthened. We've been active for 4 years and continually get worse. Perhaps we did ourselves a favor.