IGNORED

Longest Thread!

Ian

Her indoors has bad arthritis in her hands.  Recently, this resulted in having to have her wedding ring cut off to be made larger by having a gold segment welded in. I got the estimate today (£175) which was less than I expected.  I still have the receipt for when I bought the ring in 1959 -   8 pounds 10 shillings.  How times change eh.  Still it was about a weeks wages at the time.   Would have been embarrassing if the jeweller's had charged for a brass segment!😁

33 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Cheers. My mistake, I'd misread the comments about the drive being over 2 hours. 

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

Love it, if you’re going to post facts make sure you’ve done your homework, because Mike certainly is 😂

12 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Love it, if you’re going to post facts make sure you’ve done your homework, because Mike certainly is 😂

:GrammarPolice:

It just didn't sound right because I drove my mum up to Coventry years ago to pick up a car she'd bought and I remember in being a reasonable distance in a northerly direction.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to do a lot of work for these people many years ago...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-50165998

....they produced educational English Literature recordings for O and A-level students (it was while recording for them that I spent the day/had lunch with Judi Dench).

I've known about this story for some years and I'm very relieved to say that the guy I dealt with and who produced all the recordings, can't begin to count the number of hundreds of hours I spent recording and editing with him, was one (perhaps the only one) of the "good guys". He was a monk called Edmund Flood and I found a couple of mentions of him in a blog from one of the victims a while back...

"I tried to stand up against Pearce, Soper and the whole rotten shower of moral bankrupts in charge of that school in the 1970s. I found myself labelled as a troublemaker and, more seriously, a thief. I believe that Pearce and one of "his boys" set me up for this charge. The only man who defended me was Dom Edmund Flood, a terrifying-looking but deeply good man, who I heard was later exiled to some shithole in Africa for "rocking the boat" at the Abbey.

If anyone knows more about Flood's fate, I'd be grateful for information because I remember him with gratitude for his efforts. But they were futile because I was ultimately expelled..."

Comment (on blog) followed below, in 2010...

"Your courageous correspondent will be sad to know that Fr. Edmund Flood died within the last two years. I believe he was in his late seventies. Sadly for such an intelligent man his obituary indicated that he had suffered from Alzheimer's in his final years. I remember him from my visits to Ealing in the 70's when I think he was indeed regarded as a bit of an odd man out."

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Matt said:

Well we’re off to the US now for Christmas and New Years in the republican homelands of Ohio and Kentucky. In case I don’t get on much, I wish you all the best for the festive period and will speak to you latest in the new year 

Our Christmas (minutely planned as is always is due to too many kids and grand-kids) had a spanner thrown in the works this afternoon by mother-in-law becoming bed-ridden by injuring her back. She said she didn't bang it hard (on a book-case) but at 89 and all skin and bone she's a bit flimsy, she was supposed to be flying out to Amsterdam tomorrow but I've now had to take my wife up to look after her for the week-end; managed to rearrange flight for Monday so fingers crossed she'll be up and about by then🤞.

54 minutes ago, Matt said:

Well we thought we were but, of course, because were flying through Paris the first flight is cancelled because of a strike...

So you're still in Switzerland? Have you got alternative stuff sorted out?

Last minute cancelled flights are a bitch, we had one a couple of years back where the info came via text about twelve hours before take off. I doubtless moaned about it on here, cost us four days off our holiday.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

So you're still in Switzerland? Have you got alternative stuff sorted out?

Last minute cancelled flights are a bitch, we had one a couple of years back where the info came via text about twelve hours before take off. I doubtless moaned about it on here, cost us four days off our holiday.

Yeah, rebooked (the girl was great once I finally got connected)but a different airport now so have to get to Zurich tomorrow morning. all down to the French being French. What I found briefly amusing was the SMS Air France sent, apologising for the inconvenience but to contact this special number between time 9am and 9pm. Received it at 9:15 pm and our connection was at 10am from Paris the next day, so an effectively useless message :lol: 

4 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Driving down to Wrexham for Christmas Eve with my better half to see her folks before travelling back up North for Christmas Day. 

Merry Christmas to everyone on ToffeeTalk and wishing you a prosperous and healthy 2020. May this be the year of success and happiness. 

Three points against Burnley would be nice too 😎!

Enjoy Zoo.

I am spending four nights at my mother-in-laws with my wife in the Mendip hills while she's in Amsterdam (we took her to the airport yesterday and it was one of the most stressful days of my life, won't go into detail). We're right at the end of a farm track in a shepherds cottage around 400 years old, total isolation and peace; Glastonbury Tor in the distance, love it. Christmas will pass us by until we get back on Friday with a big family dinner which is great for everyone other than me who can't eat much and can't drink because I'm driving:(.

Actually don't mind at all because if they're all having a great time that's what matters to me!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry, need to rant about a few things...

It's looking likely that we return to England. I still don’t want to, but there’s more important things and we need to be around family more. The job search is still on going here, with a few avenues still "open" (i.e. not been rejected quickly and are apparently still being processed), so who knows. Hopefully will have enough funds to get us through end of June before we're in relative trouble. However, moving to a cheaper place in Switzerland without a proven income seems near impossible, even though my contribution to the unemployment benefits means I should get 80% of my current salary which should cover a place 80% cheaper than where we currently are. Especially as C is picking up extra hours (and demand) at her school. Add to that we have to give at least 3 months’ notice (i.e. pay 3 months more than we might necessarily need to) … Anyway…

June is an important dead line for another reason - E will finish her school year so we wouldn't have to pull her out of what she knows completely and drop her into something new at 5 years old. We'd ideally be able to leave end of June, she says goodbye to school, then have summer holidays whilst we settle in to wherever we find (England or Switzerland). Found out today that we don’t need to register her for the local school in England until 6 weeks before, although we would need a residency (either my parents or sister whilst we find our own place)… which for me and E isn’t an issue. But it would be an issue for C unless I have work, which I may not have by then.

To the main part of the rant… When we got married, we had never lived in England and the requirements for the marriage visa was 10 days residence (which we did in a hotel). We then got married and that was that. But, now that we’re looking to settle in England (at which point will be pretty much 10 years married) she can’t apply for a spouse visa unless I have work. That’s even considering I will have back paid all my national insurance, wouldn’t be claiming benefits and have a guaranteed residency even if unemployed! All of this would mean she’d potentially have to leave E with me and commute between Switzerland and England until I found work....

Edit: The rant just got a lot shorter after reading the structure of the visa requirements, which looks like we can apply for C's spouse Visa now... Or maybe not... Even the embassy is confusing!

25 minutes ago, Matt said:

Sorry, need to rant about a few things...

It's looking likely that we return to England. I still don’t want to, but there’s more important things and we need to be around family more. The job search is still on going here, with a few avenues still "open" (i.e. not been rejected quickly and are apparently still being processed), so who knows. Hopefully will have enough funds to get us through end of June before we're in relative trouble. However, moving to a cheaper place in Switzerland without a proven income seems near impossible, even though my contribution to the unemployment benefits means I should get 80% of my current salary which should cover a place 80% cheaper than where we currently are. Especially as C is picking up extra hours (and demand) at her school. Add to that we have to give at least 3 months’ notice (i.e. pay 3 months more than we might necessarily need to) … Anyway…

June is an important dead line for another reason - E will finish her school year so we wouldn't have to pull her out of what she knows completely and drop her into something new at 5 years old. We'd ideally be able to leave end of June, she says goodbye to school, then have summer holidays whilst we settle in to wherever we find (England or Switzerland). Found out today that we don’t need to register her for the local school in England until 6 weeks before, although we would need a residency (either my parents or sister whilst we find our own place)… which for me and E isn’t an issue. But it would be an issue for C unless I have work, which I may not have by then.

To the main part of the rant… When we got married, we had never lived in England and the requirements for the marriage visa was 10 days residence (which we did in a hotel). We then got married and that was that. But, now that we’re looking to settle in England (at which point will be pretty much 10 years married) she can’t apply for a spouse visa unless I have work. That’s even considering I will have back paid all my national insurance, wouldn’t be claiming benefits and have a guaranteed residency even if unemployed! All of this would mean she’d potentially have to leave E with me and commute between Switzerland and England until I found work....

Edit: The rant just got a lot shorter after reading the structure of the visa requirements, which looks like we can apply for C's spouse Visa now... Or maybe not... Even the embassy is confusing!

Sounds like a minefield, if you have to return to the UK what part of the country would better suit your employment talents, or wouldn’t that be an issue.