IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

About his running off the ball: Let's not forget that, when he joined us, he couldn't manage more than 60 minutes per game. He's improved leaps and bounds in this area, and maybe the price paid is less running off the ball. I'm sure that will improve over time, but let's not overlook the improvements he's already made.

Fitness?

Another interesting point I made not so long ago..... Barkley and Lukaku needed to lose weight. Again it was dismissed by a fair few "they need that for strength"....

Not so.

Barkley for me has shedded about 5 or 6 pound at least - you can see that in his running. You used to be able to pick him out with that giant backside and burly chest - now you could confuse him for James McCarthy,

Lukaku could do with losing a few pound - his efforts improved recently. I expect him to get fitter.

Fitness?

Another interesting point I made not so long ago..... Barkley and Lukaku needed to lose weight. Again it was dismissed by a fair few "they need that for strength"....

Not so.

Barkley for me has shedded about 5 or 6 pound at least - you can see that in his running. You used to be able to pick him out with that giant backside and burly chest - now you could confuse him for James McCarthy,

Lukaku could do with losing a few pound - his efforts improved recently. I expect him to get fitter.

Definitely noticed the change in Barkley's physique. It's actually made me think he's taller than he really is.

The difference between now and before is the service. Stop supplying him and he will start sulking again.

I don't think so. Has service changed? No.

Is he scoring a larger proportion of goals? No.

The team is working harder- and yes he is too.

Koeman for all the criticism I've aimed at him seems to have cracked some heads.

Koeman for all the criticism I've aimed at him seems to have cracked some heads.

Service has changed massively, how on earth can you say it hasn't?

Fitness?

Not so.

I think Barkley is worse for the weight loss! He was much better built up IMO!

has service changed Oh hell yes

Because it hasn't.... simple as that. What has changed?

His best servant was Gerry who hasn't played.

So you are saying the way we have played hasn't changed since the beginning of the season, specifically in the period we were playing shite and Lukaku was getting slagged off, and the last half dozen games where we are playing better and he is being praised?

I take you back to my Costa argument comparing this season and last.

So you are saying the way we have played hasn't changed since the beginning of the season, specifically in the period we were playing shite and Lukaku was getting slagged off, and the last half dozen games where we are playing better and he is being praised?

I take you back to my Costa argument comparing this season and last.

We have played better as a team but

What is all this service bollocks? Because let's face it that's what it is. He is not the golden child "you must serve me".... the penny is dropping with him - not just other players.

His work rate has improved.... guess what more players are able to join in play as in fairness he has improved on that aspect.... oh yes and look what happens - the team scores more. Not necessarily him but that's fine.

I'm sure people create observations to justify some sort of excuse for him. He is improving parts of his game that I've been going on about.... is it cos you didn't think they were important that you are now using the boring 'service' word.

As it stands he is playing the best he has as all round player. That why the team benefit - cos it's kinda important that the big fella up front does stuff other than wait there for a chance.

If his goals are all about service then why is it that he has scored relatively less versus overall team goals of recent? Flawed argument.

By all accounts koeman has upped things in training and no one is safe from being dropped.

Agreeing with this one.

Lukaku seems to be getting just as much service as before, maybe a little less.

The biggest difference for me is that the rest of the team are getting chances and scoring too.

For me, Ross was on the outside of the box all season, but for some reason he wasn't shooting. Now he seems to have a go. This puts us on the front foot and allows the whole team to push forward.

If anything, we have taken the pressure from Rom and spread it around the team... like it should be.

This means Rom can concentrate on his own game.

Haf if you can't recognise the difference in the quality of the balls he is receiving now, the options he has, the areas of pitch he is playing in then you have a screw loose mate.

If you look at the reasons Barkley has improved then they are the same reasons Rom had improved, and also a microcosm of why the team has improved. Quite simply, if you play for a better team you get more opportunities to show what you have to offer.

Haf if you can't recognise the difference in the quality of the balls he is receiving now, the options he has, the areas of pitch he is playing in then you have a screw loose mate.

If you look at the reasons Barkley has improved then they are the same reasons Rom had improved, and also a microcosm of why the team has improved. Quite simply, if you play for a better team you get more opportunities to show what you have to offer.

no screw loose, just a fine eye on what is actually happening on the pitch.

I have said numerous times - numerous times! that Lukaku and his individual goals is not something that I look for in isolation as it can deceive you in how he is playing. I look at things such as his ability to find a team mate rather than an opponent with the ball.

If a striker is giving the ball away more times than retaining it then how do you expect him to get service?

If Lukaku is suddenly getting "service" then why hasn't there been an upswing in his goals? - he's scoring at a similar rate as he always has....

The fact of the matter is that the "team" is playing well.... he is actually working hard (praise indeed). When midfielders see the man ahead getting stuck in they get stuck in.

The only dynamic that has changed is that Barkley has more "choice" on the ball. He has Davies running on - Rom is actually moving into channels..... is that service or is it Lukaku making himself more available for the pass? Something again that I've repeatedly mentioned.

To summarise - I am actually giving Lukaku specific recognition for making changes to his game that he needed to make:-

- better movement

- better work off the ball

- better retention

Ah no.... can't have that can we. That would mean that Haf would have had a point and it wasn't all down to service..... service ain't changed. There has been no wonderful through balls, no new number 10 who can "find rom".... just a better all round level of performance mainly from him himself - helping others to help him.

I did say that maybe his strike rate is suffering as he is t scoring more goals with these apparent extra chances.

It's no him that's benefitting though, it's the rest of the team.

We had four different scorers against city and another against palace. This is a massive improvement.

What I have noticed is that Lukaku has performed better for the team with the upturn in confidence.

He is holding the ball better.

He is creating more for his team mates.

He looks a much better player.

Let's celebrate this.