IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

I'm not worried. He's entitled to pursuing opportunities based on ambition, but this situation can't get to the point where his attitude pervades the feel good factor around the club. If this isn't true then someone involved should make a statement. If him and his camp fuck up our momentum then that's unforgivable.

What a bizarre relationship with a gifted and talismanic forward. No one's ever been comfortable with his commitment, or lack-there-of, to the club. I get that the modern game doesn't pander to supporter loyalty, but this can get out of hand real quick.

I honestly think we have a bright future and have played well enough to attract other talent. Especially if we get in to Europe. Anyone who doesn't buy in to what Koeman wants to do should be let go. The bright side is, while Lukaku is one of the best there is, we've often talked about how we're threadbare in the striker department. We've needed MANY offensive reinforcements for quite some time now. I expected that this summer regardless of him being here or not.

The disappointing thing with this is that it sounded like he was ready to sign and had bought into where we're going as a club. I've expected him to move on every season he's been here, not because he's too good for us or anything but just because of his profile, players like him always end up at one of a handful of clubs it seems. It would have been (still would be?) a real statement from us if we got him to extend his contract, but if he wants to go he wants to go.

The question is, do we move him on straight away this summer, flog him for a world record fee and aim to use the cash to buy two or three who will cement us as CL contenders? Or do we gamble on another year, risking getting less from him, but hoping his goals can push us into CL contention anyway, at which point we might convince him to stay?

The statement should be that no one's bigger than the club. My thinking is that Moshiri isn't going to let an asset derail his grand plans for the club. I think Moshiri intends on outlasting players like Lukaku, not catering to their demands.

Edited by nutmegwolf203

On the plus side Haf will be happy and we can close down this thread, which seems to have a life of its own, I wonder if the thread will transfer with Lukaku?

Happy?

Happy that there isn't going to be a player who some seem to behave like he is bigger than the club - like he seems to have believed.

Not happy about the complete and utter gullibility of some of the fans. Not one season has passed in his 4 years here where he hasn't caused unnecessary headlines due to his "ambitions".

Get whatever we can for him and move on. Wasn't it around this time last year when he decided to pack his flip flops?

The statement should be that no one's bigger than the club. My thinking is that Moshiri isn't going to let an asset derail his grand plans for the club. I think Moshiri intends on outlasting players like Lukaku, not catering to their demands.

I agree, and if he wants to go, get as much as we can for him and move on. But he also guarantees us goals, so even if he makes noises about leaving now then changes his mind because we're nailed on to finish in the top 4 this time next year, I'd have no problems keeping him. He's an asset.

We don't know how true any of this is. It all seems to have come from an interview in which he answered, with a cheeky smile, 'No' to 3 same old same questions from a journo. It could be that journos are lazily using this and expanding on it to grab headlines or it could be that it has triggered some journos to really look into it.

If it is true, then the level headed human in me says it's his right to accept or reject any contract. He has ambitions. He wants to play at a higher level. Wants Champions league football etc etc. Good luck to him.

Then the Evertonian kicks in. And I feel myself getting frustrated that for about the last 3 or 4 seasons, we have reached March and yet again it's all about Lukaku. This isn't a one off. I can't say for sure that it's all his fault, but I can't help but feel that this fire doesn't keep burning at the same time of each season without petrol being poured onto it. It's all too coincidental, and all too obvious that it's about being in the shop window in the hope of triggering interest. Just in case.

I'm grateful for the goals. I'd be happy if he signed a new contract. However, I do not want this club being shafted for the sake of one player. If it comes to it, we should have no fear, and sell him on.

No one ever achieved anything by being fearful.

Happy?

Happy that there isn't going to be a player who some seem to behave like he is bigger than the club - like he seems to have believed.

Not happy about the complete and utter gullibility of some of the fans. Not one season has passed in his 4 years here where he hasn't caused unnecessary headlines due to his "ambitions".

Get whatever we can for him and move on. Wasn't it around this time last year when he decided to pack his flip flops?

Dear God it was a joke man.

hypothetical (i'm bored at work) situation - he does want to leave. who you replace him with?

alexandre lacazette (lyon)

wissam ben yedder (sevilla)

timo werner (rb leipzig)

andrea belotti (torino)

mauro icardi (inter)

valere germain (monaco)

michy batshuayi (chelsea)

I'd add Inaki Williams, but that's a good list and I actually don't think any are out of the question given the status of the club.

Chelsea - Costa

City - Aguero

Spurs - Kane

Arsenal - Sanchez

United - Ibra

Liverpool - Mane?

All above us, apart from Liverpool, have a class out and out natural striker.

The better out and out strikers of the teams below us are as follows:

Defoe

Josh King

Llorente

Benteke

Andre Grey

Rondon

Vardy

None of these are acceptable replacements for Lukaku. Which means for me, we have to recruit externally which poses a risk. When we lose lukaku we are going to struggle massively unless we unearth a gem.

None of these are acceptable replacements for Lukaku. Which means for me, we have to recruit externally which poses a risk. When we lose lukaku we are going to struggle massively unless we unearth a gem.

I think we'll be keeping an eye on Gabbiadini (sp?) At Southampton. He's had a good start and Koeman was keen on him.

I think we'll be keeping an eye on Gabbiadini (sp?) At Southampton. He's had a good start and Koeman was keen on him.

That ship has sailed hasn't it? No CL football means nobody will come to us from respectable European teams, and unearthing a gem will be almost impossible.

Lukaku was always going to leave. It's a shame we didn't get bought out 3 or 4 years ago.

Edited by AidanLewis

That ship has sailed hasn't it? No CL football means nobody will come to us from respectable European teams, and unearthing a gem will be almost impossible.

Why has it sailed? If he proves himself with Soton, and Koeman still likes him, why can't we buy him? Money talks...and Soton like to sell.

It's all hypothetical of course.

I'd take jermaine defoe in a heartbeat.

Proven every year that he is an out and out goalscorer.

He would do as our bench option/rotation player.

But yes - let's see what walsh can rustle up eh.

I'm sick to the back teeth of this lad and the circus. If he was more humble - got on with his stuff without making it all about him he would be far easier to like despite all the on pitch technicalities I've questioned.

Why is it always this time of year? Pisses me off.

If negotiations are still on, I think us supporters deserve a "Shut The Fuck Up" Clause. In legal terms him and his loud mouth agent just shut the fuck up, all the time. No comment, ever. That'll do.

Honestly though, in the design world it would be called a non-compete right? Or something like that? It's crazy that athletes aren't subject to the same rules. It should always be no comment, nothing on twitter, no cryptic messages talking about your "next chapter". Just keep it under wraps and respectful. They've put us through enough while Rom has shown just enough respect for Evertonians. Schneiderlin, as new as he is already gets it. There's a difference.

Shit, when did sports "stars" get all this power? Rhetorical, don't answer. I get that they're paid big money for careers a fraction of a normal person but the trajectory is scary.

Edited by nutmegwolf203

"The contracts been on the table for months, Raiola has said so himself 99.999% done, for something to have happened to change that, is only down to Lukaku and his agent... They've played Everton, and thats where football is at the moment, players have no loyalies, this is the first part of the story, and wouldn't surprise me if he re-signed, but on his terms"

Paul walsh on ssn. Spot on. Completely out of order causing this shit storm now - fucking despicable.

Edited by Hafnia

He seems to have rejected whatever offer was on the table. Maybe the club tried to bluff him with an unworthy contract. Rom seems a fair dude so I presume he'll either leave in the summer and get us a decent price. Or sign the contract with a £60m release clause. I think £90m is too much personally and if that's the reason it's been rejected you can understand

Edited by MC11