IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

It's a load of bullshit to be perfectly honest.

Either a player is a proper professional or he's not. Rom is not a proper professional. Not all shit footballers in the league are solid professionals and not all richly talented superstars are glory hunting mercenaries...

For me Rom is no where near the standard of player who even if it was acceptable could just think "nah wasting my time here"... how the fuck dare he blame his team mates and say he works hard???

The number of times a ball has been played to him by a team mate only to watch him give it away with a bad touch or way ward pass is a joke. Interesting that he made this comment away from his club, where he's unlikely to return. I'd quite like to hear Jags, Coleman, ossie, Barry come out and say "I think Rom needs to look at some tapes of himself where he isn't scoring goals and ask himself if he's worked hard... we are a team not a group of men trying to play for an individual"

This is why we've needed a Roy Keane character... he'd have torn Rom a new one.

Edited by Hafnia

I agree with Haf that we need a Roy Keane type manager. Martinez was too soft, easy going. What is Rom earning, is it 75k per week? That's more in a week than the average wage for 3 years, yet for 2 games out of 3 he was not earning his money. The guy on the average wage would get the sack if he wasn't performing. We see glimpses of the type of player he could be (remember the goal he scored against Chelsea) but he doesn't work hard enough. We need a manager who can kick ass.

I agree with Haf that we need a Roy Keane type manager. Martinez was too soft, easy going. What is Rom earning, is it 75k per week? That's more in a week than the average wage for 3 years, yet for 2 games out of 3 he was not earning his money. The guy on the average wage would get the sack if he wasn't performing. We see glimpses of the type of player he could be (remember the goal he scored against Chelsea) but he doesn't work hard enough. We need a manager who can kick ass.

Think Haf means a Roy Keane on the pitch, a Roy Keane as a manager we do not need!

Think Haf means a Roy Keane on the pitch, a Roy Keane as a manager we do not need!

Yeah, I've already said that Martinez mismanaged him because he should have handed his balls to him on a plate after some shite efforts and his interview... instead he bollocks humble pro Leighton for being truthful without being disruptive.

As for the Roy Keane character... yeah on the pitch we need one. We need a manager who is tough and an enforcer who represents the manager. Look at the great teams they all had one.

Edited by Hafnia

Did he actually bollock Baines?

I either missed it or it hasn't been said anywhere

Genuine question by the way. Read loads of spin but the Only thing from the club was that Baines apologises for how it was interpreted. Sounded like he did it off his own back.

Unless I missed it all.

Agree that he should have hot Lukaku hard.

Professionalism doesn't really mean anything to these ego's anymore.

Sad thing is that the fans are starting to turn that way to. So many think it's ok.

Edited by Shukes

Did he actually bollock Baines?

I either missed it or it hasn't been said anywhere

Genuine question by the way. Read loads of spin but the Only thing from the club was that Baines apologises for how it was interpreted. Sounded like he did it off his own back.

Unless I missed it all.

Agree that he should have hot Lukaku hard.

Professionalism doesn't really mean anything to these ego's anymore.

Sad thing is that the fans are starting to turn that way to. So many think it's ok.

yes baines said team chemistry was bad and RM made him apologize to the team. prompting this:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/evertons-leighton-baines-wasnt-misinterpreted-11151658

yes baines said team chemistry was bad and RM made him apologize to the team. prompting this:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/evertons-leighton-baines-wasnt-misinterpreted-11151658

Exactly where in that does Martinez actually say he bollocked him and made him apologize? "I've had a chat with him" and "he's apologised" don't add up to what you're suggesting, ie 2+2=5. Having said that I agree he had no need to apologise, but maybe he just chose to.
These are Martinez's words – produced verbatim to avoid confusion
“I think there are two aspects of that. First it's very disappointing when you see a misinterpretation of certain words that a player says and really this has been taken out of context in the way that it's come out.
“And the other aspect is that someone of the experience of Leighton Baines knows he has to take responsibility for those words – I have had a chat with him – those words have given the opportunity to be maybe attracting a meaning that is not right, not correct and obviously for that he has apologised and taken responsibility for that for leaving those words open.
“But that's what we expect from a senior figure at Everton, we expect him to take responsibility, to make sure that we speak on the pitch and the way to do that is against Watford.
“I wouldn't say we rely on one or two individuals, I think the way we are as a team we rely on the technical ability of the whole team, the way that we can get high up the pitch and create chances.
"I don't think we are a team that relies on one or two individuals. Of course we rely on individuals because the team is made of individuals and we have 15 or 16 individuals who have had impressive campaigns, probably the best campaigns of their young careers in some cases.
“But those quotes have been taken out of context and that's disappointing on one side but on the other side obviously Leighton takes responsibility for putting himself in a position which has given the wrong words and allowed the wrong interpretation and for that, as I said, he has apologised and is ready to move forward. And as any senior player the place to talk is on the pitch.”

I would be happy to get a striker that could score as many as Rom.

But my knowledge of overseas players isn't that good...well isn't even average.

But a striker that could get 15-20 goals and a decent creative mid that could got 10 themselves could turn us into a different proposition.

We shouldn't rely on one striker.

Look at this season when we did....we were awful.

Exactly where in that does Martinez actually say he bollocked him and made him apologize? "I've had a chat with him" and "he's apologised" don't add up to what you're suggesting, ie 2+2=5. Having said that I agree he had no need to apologise, but maybe he just chose to.

These are Martinez's words produced verbatim to avoid confusion

I think there are two aspects of that. First it's very disappointing when you see a misinterpretation of certain words that a player says and really this has been taken out of context in the way that it's come out.

And the other aspect is that someone of the experience of Leighton Baines knows he has to take responsibility for those words I have had a chat with him those words have given the opportunity to be maybe attracting a meaning that is not right, not correct and obviously for that he has apologised and taken responsibility for that for leaving those words open.

But that's what we expect from a senior figure at Everton, we expect him to take responsibility, to make sure that we speak on the pitch and the way to do that is against Watford.

I wouldn't say we rely on one or two individuals, I think the way we are as a team we rely on the technical ability of the whole team, the way that we can get high up the pitch and create chances.

"I don't think we are a team that relies on one or two individuals. Of course we rely on individuals because the team is made of individuals and we have 15 or 16 individuals who have had impressive campaigns, probably the best campaigns of their young careers in some cases.

But those quotes have been taken out of context and that's disappointing on one side but on the other side obviously Leighton takes responsibility for putting himself in a position which has given the wrong words and allowed the wrong interpretation and for that, as I said, he has apologised and is ready to move forward. And as any senior player the place to talk is on the pitch.

To paraphrase I would say a corrective discussion took place... slap across the knuckles, telling off, bit of a talking too, bollocking? Maybe an extreme word however it's clear martinez took umbrage to baines comments and made no reference to any issues with Rom pimping himself out which for many an Evertonian was worse. Edited by Hafnia

Still going over the same ground as the last 1000 pages!

So, Rom is off, we'll get £65m. Anyone else got any ideas who to spend it on? Ideally that we could tempt and that would bring us over 20 goals a season.

Well we could do what we've done with Rom... but cheaper. Buy a raw footballer with dodgy technical attributes who is a decent finisher. Set up the team to supply him as the lone striker, let him take pens and blow sunshine up his backside so that when he does make the 15+ premier league goals that many other strikers do we can attract silly money and go buy genuinely talented rounded players with the profits...

Well we could do what we've done with Rom... but cheaper. Buy a raw footballer with dodgy technical attributes who is a decent finisher. Set up the team to supply him as the lone striker, let him take pens and blow sunshine up his backside so that when he does make the 15+ premier league goals that many other strikers do we can attract silly money and go buy genuinely talented rounded players with the profits...

yes we tried that with Vic, Jelavic, etc and it didn't work. so maybe Rom is talented after all.

To paraphrase I would say a corrective discussion took place... slap across the knuckles, telling off, bit of a talking too, bollocking? Maybe an extreme word however it's clear martinez took umbrage to baines comments and made no reference to any issues with Rom pimping himself out which for many an Evertonian was worse.

That's (again) putting a spin on it that wasn't there; you're making an assumption, taking a guess. That's what you believe happened based purely on what you believe happened. There's no evidence to support it, just speculation.

We've already bought Niasse. Sorry, take that back, you said decent finisher

That's (again) putting a spin on it that wasn't there; you're making an assumption, taking a guess. That's what you believe happened based purely on what you believe happened. There's no evidence to support it, just speculation.

Give it a week or 2 if Lukaku's not been sold he'l spill the beans about everything that went on!

I'm pretty sure Martinez and Baines had fallen out I say that on what I saw on the pitch, Baines reaction when he scored in Martinez's last home game said everything. He couldn't even be arsed celebrating.

Give it a week or 2 if Lukaku's not been sold he'l spill the beans about everything that went on!

I'm pretty sure Martinez and Baines had fallen out I say that on what I saw on the pitch, Baines reaction when he scored in Martinez's last home game said everything. He couldn't even be arsed celebrating.

Maybe that was down to the fact that the season was a disaster and he'd just scored while we beat a crap team at home. Should be routine; if he'd have celebrated like we'd just beaten Liverpool it would have been inappropriate.

Maybe that was down to the fact that the season was a disaster and he'd just scored while we beat a crap team at home. Should be routine; if he'd have celebrated like we'd just beaten Liverpool it would have been inappropriate.

So you honestly think the players were putting 100% in Mike0? Lukaku had come out and said they werent, Pienaar tweeted a slightly cryptic dig, and Mirrallas thanked everyone at the end of the season and blatantly left out Martinez.

I'm no genius and I wasn't there but it all kinda points to a big fall out with him.

So you honestly think the players were putting 100% in Mike0? Lukaku had come out and said they werent, Pienaar tweeted a slightly cryptic dig, and Mirrallas thanked everyone at the end of the season and blatantly left out Martinez.

I'm no genius and I wasn't there but it all kinda points to a big fall out with him.

Devil's advocate, as I so often try to be (even if it makes me unpopular).

Plainly things weren't right but I'm talking specifically about the assumptions MJB and Haf are making about Baines, which have no factual basis.

Plainly things weren't right but I'm talking specifically about the assumptions MJB and Haf are making about Baines, which have no factual basis.

mike you ever heard a manager say "yes i went in and told him he's an ass and told him to go to the team and apologize." no, as a pedant you should know about the word TACT. that's why people read between the lines, because he would never say the above statement, he would use tact and say exactly what he did say.

Arhhhh head shit stirrer now that makes sense. For your own amusement I take it, nice job.

I can't wait for Distin to come clean about what happened with him he fell out of favour like a brick down a mine shaft under Martinez.

I think Martinez may have been the kind to hold a grudge!! (Just my opinion)

mike you ever heard a manager say "yes i went in and told him he's an ass and told him to go to the team and apologize." no, as a pedant you should know about the word TACT. that's why people read between the lines, because he would never say the above statement, he would use tact and say exactly what he did say.

Yes. Many, many times. If you'd been watching the game longer you might have seen it as well.

That's no argument anyway, unless you happened to be listening to the conversation in person you've zero idea what was said so you're making up/believing what you imagine might have been said based on no evidence at all.

Arhhhh head shit stirrer now that makes sense. For your own amusement I take it, nice job.

I can't wait for Distin to come clean about what happened with him he fell out of favour like a brick down a mine shaft under Martinez.

I think Martinez may have been the kind to hold a grudge!! (Just my opinion)

Bollocks; putting forward an alternative possibility is far from stirring shit. Pretending you know something bad happened when you have know proof of it would be far closer to shit stirring in my book.

Yes I have to admit I have witnessed that many times.

MikeO is right...were all only guessing and are basing our assumptions on our own guesswork rather than facts.

Don't think he is saying either are right or wrong, just that we have no factual evidence of it......yet.

Bollocks; putting forward an alternative possibility is far from stirring shit. Pretending you know something bad happened when you have know proof of it would be far closer to shit stirring in my book.

Clearly something went down im not referring to just Baines I mean other members of the squad and it's not really guessing when a player comes out and says what Lukaku did!

The shit stirrer bit was put in as a joke to stir it up it kinda worked I like it may do it more often (smiley face)-can't figure out how to do them on my phone!!

Clearly something went down im not referring to just Baines I mean other members of the squad and it's not really guessing when a player comes out and says what Lukaku did!

The shit stirrer bit was put in as a joke to stir it up it kinda worked I like it may do it more often (smiley face)-can't figure out how to do them on my phone!!

Fair enough :).

Not defending Lukaku at all (back on thread) because it's out there for all to see.

Its not even debatable anymore. Martinez clearly fell out with players a long the way. Distin was an integral part of the first team and vanished off the face of the earth after that game at Leeds. Mirallas another integral part of the first team was banished to the bench, watching inferior players play ahead of him week in week out. None of us are close enough to the inner workings of the clubs to say for definite exactly what happened and I'm sure the players are legally binded to keep stum.

But seriously it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see things were really bad towards the end. Players (most of them) didn't give a f*ck

I know it's off thread but here's how I image it worked under Martinez.

The guy had his favourites. The favourites were "yes men" (Jags, Barry Cleverley types) "yes sir, how high sir". He was a major control freak very obnoxious off camera. Anyone who questioned his authority were "dealt with".

Speculation yes but that's how I picture it. There was none of this under Moyes, no rumours of fallouts and Moyes was a strict disciplinarian but a fair one at that.

I think a lot of this boiled down to Martinez personality. As I've said in the past a charlatan and bullshitter.

I know it's off thread but here's how I image it worked under Martinez.

The guy had his favourites. The favourites were "yes men" (Jags, Barry Cleverley types) "yes sir, how high sir". He was a major control freak very obnoxious off camera. Anyone who questioned his authority were "dealt with".

Speculation yes but that's how I picture it. There was none of this under Moyes, no rumours of fallouts and Moyes was a strict disciplinarian but a fair one at that.

I think a lot of this boiled down to Martinez personality. As I've said in the past a charlatan and bullshitter.

No favourites under Moyes? Really?

Phil Neville.

No more words needed (other than "short memories").

yes we tried that with Vic, Jelavic, etc and it didn't work. so maybe Rom is talented after all.

Did we? I cant actually think of one striker under moyes who was given the focus that Rom had under Martinez. Most at times were used as channel runners to allow a Cahill or felli the space to attack the central space from deep.