IGNORED

Twitter Transfer Rumours

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Townsend has pace which is something we badly need, a just about ok back up. Hope is he plays better with better players

Gray is a good signing, young enough to improve, was good for Leicester, fast, strong, clever player with some skill. 

Still need a more skilful winger, but these are ok. 

Grey was binned off at Leicester for being shite, I have mates who are Leicester fans who were made up that he left - rings alarm bells that after only 10 games Bayer Leverkusen are happy to send him packing too. 

It's just dross on top of dross, absolutely absymal recruitment so far this summer. Basically cementing ourselves for the dizzy heights of 14th come May.

If Townsend and Gray are cheap back-up replacements instead of Iwobi and Bernard and we still go and sign a top quality winger then these could be smart signings. Bernard and Iwobi will be on over £200k a week between them - I’d be very surprised if Townsend and Gray would total even half that. Plus the potential fees for Bernard and Iwobi could be used elsewhere. Now let’s be honest Townsend and Gray will provide far more opportunities for 2 strikers in Calvert-Lewin and Richarlison who thrive on crosses than Bernard and Iwobi - may not be glamorous but makes sense if we can shift other players.

2 minutes ago, c1982 said:

If Townsend and Gray are cheap back-up replacements instead of Iwobi and Bernard and we still go and sign a top quality winger then these could be smart signings. Bernard and Iwobi will be on over £200k a week between them - I’d be very surprised if Townsend and Gray would total even half that. Plus the potential fees for Bernard and Iwobi could be used elsewhere. Now let’s be honest Townsend and Gray will provide far more opportunities for 2 strikers in Calvert-Lewin and Richarlison than Bernard and Iwobi - may not be glamorous but makes sense if we can shift other players.

Will they, though? I would understand if we were confident we could get rid of Bernard and Iwobi, but these four all seem about on the same level and if we're just adding wages, it seems like we could do better. Iwobi and Gray are the same age, and Townsend is older than Bernard.

2 minutes ago, nyblue23 said:

Will they, though? I would understand if we were confident we could get rid of Bernard and Iwobi, but these four all seem about on the same level and if we're just adding wages, it seems like we could do better. Iwobi and Gray are the same age, and Townsend is older than Bernard.

If we’re getting rid of those high earners who offer very little then I understand us bringing some different options - as long as we are getting rid then signing better quality.

What we desperately lack is pace - this pair have it - Bernard and Iwobi (and Gylfi who I also want gone ASAP) have it in abundance.

I said a while ago now (while Carlo was still here!) that our first signing of this window would say a lot about where we're heading this season... now I'm hoping that it'll be our final signing that will say more about where we're heading :lol:. Because if what looks to be our first signing comes to pass we're in for another season of nothingness.

A lot of talk that the Dumfries deal is moving along too. Get these 4 in and settled with the squad for the US tour - still a lot to do with ins and outs but clearly looks like how well we shift players will determine the quality of incomings. Townsend and Gray represent low risk - I’m much happier with these than another £20m Walcott or Bolasie on £100k a week. Chances are, we’ll sign a ‘better’ winger later in the window and chances are he’ll be from a foreign league and cost a lot more - it may be handy to have a couple of wide options who know the league while he settles in.

Townsend will fit into our squad nicely IMO. I'm not resting my hopes on him but I believe he will be useful to our squad.

Grey I'm not too sure about. Didn't see him too often at Leicester. Don't understand why Leverkusen are willing to sell him for such a low fee after 1 season.

6 hours ago, London Blue said:

These transfers scream "Moneyball" to me, and I say good.

Gray is a talented, relatively young player who can develop and do a job for us.

Townsend has pace which is what we need and is a backup.

With these transfers we are showing "Smarts" which we have lacked in some of our deals in the past.

Gray is less than two months younger than Iwobi. Might as well say the same thing about him.

2 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

That is because he isn't very good. Yes he can dribble a bit and he is fairly quick but his decision making is poor and there is nothing special about him technically.