IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

14 hours ago, MikeO said:

Moura dropped for Kane after semi hat-trick. Harsh.

Not just harsh but absolutely fucking idiotic. The biggest mistake Poch could have made (closely followed by starting the distinctly abysmal Winks when not fit).

Spurs play as a team without Kane, but with him they lose so much of what they're good at because then they become Harry Kane Hotspur.

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Not just harsh but absolutely fucking idiotic. The biggest mistake Poch could have made (closely followed by starting the distinctly abysmal Winks when not fit).

Spurs play as a team without Kane, but with him they lose so much of what they're good at because then they become Harry Kane Hotspur.

The age of the non prolific number 9 is here. I'd sooner have a player leading the line who can bring the AMs into play than a striker who the AMs need to find.

The irony is the number 9 will get chances by doing the hardvwork for the AMs after the secondary phase of attack. 

It's why I would persevere with DCL...  yes it would be nice to get a similar player who is more clinical and experienced. But hopefully DCL improves in this regard. 

24 minutes ago, hafnia said:

The age of the non prolific number 9 is here. I'd sooner have a player leading the line who can bring the AMs into play than a striker who the AMs need to find.

The irony is the number 9 will get chances by doing the hardvwork for the AMs after the secondary phase of attack. 

It's why I would persevere with DCL...  yes it would be nice to get a similar player who is more clinical and experienced. But hopefully DCL improves in this regard. 

I agree with your sentiments on DCL, but what I struggle with is for the last 20 or so years all we’ve heard is we hope he improves, or the other classic building for the future, for me if we’ve got the money let’s go out and get the finished article, some positions in the team mainly the spine shouldn’t be left to chance when you have better options i.e money to get better. 

6 hours ago, Palfy said:

I agree with your sentiments on DCL, but what I struggle with is for the last 20 or so years all we’ve heard is we hope he improves, or the other classic building for the future, for me if we’ve got the money let’s go out and get the finished article, some positions in the team mainly the spine shouldn’t be left to chance when you have better options i.e money to get better. 

I can barely name 10 top class strikers nowadays....  someone who can play ge way DCL does as well as score .  If there are any they will be worth a fortune.

13 minutes ago, hafnia said:

I can barely name 10 top class strikers nowadays....  someone who can play ge way DCL does as well as score .  If there are any they will be worth a fortune.

They would but in the last 3 seasons we have filled our team with midfielders that have cost us 200m plus some good most poor, and 2 strikers for about 45m one is back up to DCL and one on loan, we’ve had the money we’ve just thrown most of it away on poor accusations. 

Obviously I know it’s not an exact science but we as a club must have blown more money on players that didn’t make the grade than any other team in the last 3 seasons, so instead of going out and buying 10-12 for quantity we would have been better off spending the same money on 5-6 for quality. 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

They would but in the last 3 seasons we have filled our team with midfielders that have cost us 200m plus some good most poor, and 2 strikers for about 45m one is back up to DCL and one on loan, we’ve had the money we’ve just thrown most of it away on poor accusations. 

Obviously I know it’s not an exact science but we as a club must have blown more money on players that didn’t make the grade than any other team in the last 3 seasons, so instead of going out and buying 10-12 for quantity we would have been better off spending the same money on 5-6 for quality. 

Well according to rumours from last year we were looking at Origi...

They won't sell now as he's proven himself to be a very capable stand in for firminho... ahead of Sturridge who is a superb finisher.  Origi whether we like it or not has become a very good player, physically strong to supplement the searing pace he already had.  

10 hours ago, barryj said:

Well that was a disaster. Two ex Evertonians having a shocker. Only positive Pickford played very well. 

You wouldn't have known either of these things if you just listened to Gary Neville. Barkley was our best midfielder, and he defended Stones' constant fuck ups like his life depended on it.

Meanwhile, he criticised Pickford for not racing out of goal quick enough after Stones had let an overhead ball bounce for Dutch player to be in on goal despite him getting to the ball first and clearing it (so must've reacted quick enough!). And said he awkwardly cleared it and got under it... well, Gary, the fucking ball was at chest height so what the fuck else was he going to do? And I want him to get height on clearance, not smash it into the Dutch player. The pick of the bunch, though, was when Pickford had positioned himself in the centre of the goal for a Dutch free-kick. Gary seemed to think this was a bad thing. The ball then proceeded to be delivered and where did it go? That's right, straight into Jordan's arms in the centre of the fucking goal. Did Gary then do a climbdown and praise Pickford's positioning? Did he like shite, "straight at him" was the only comment. I'm not even going to go into the brushing under the carpet of his quality saves that went on too. Neville's seeming hatred of Pickford is beyond weird.

2 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

Absolutely correct Mark. I didn't think I was watching the same game!

BBC player rater had him England's best so neutrals could see it, Neville is seriously ignorant when it comes to keepers, wasn't it him who criticised Mingolet for not saving Jag's goal v Liverpool? Two keepers wouldn't have saved that.

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

BBC player rater had him England's best so neutrals could see it, Neville is seriously ignorant when it comes to keepers, wasn't it him who criticised Mingolet for not saving Jag's goal v Liverpool? Two keepers wouldn't have saved that.

He couldn't admit it was a stunning goal that no keeper would have saved.

Other than a minor fumble in the first 10 mins from a long range shot (no danger at all) he didn’t put a foot (or hand) wrong all night. Had the Dutch not been lucky with the deflection everyone would have been wax lyrical about his world class save following Stones cluster. He was easily the best player in an England shirt. 

On 06/06/2019 at 22:23, Elston Gunnn said:

Two massive giveaways by Stones and Barkley allow Netherlands to win.  Embarrassing, both.

Good match.  Youthful Netherlands v. Ronaldo on Sunday.

I though that Stones dropped Barkley right in it. Passed to him when he was on edge of the box facing goal and a man on his back, Stones was responsible for all 3 goals IMO, shocking night from him. The whole team needs to learn when to play out from the back and when to lump it.

1 hour ago, Wiggytop said:

I though that Stones dropped Barkley right in it. Passed to him when he was on edge of the box facing goal and a man on his back, Stones was responsible for all 3 goals IMO, shocking night from him. The whole team needs to learn when to play out from the back and when to lump it.

The self destruct button was definitely pressed by Stones that night, I wasn’t all that surprised by how he was caught out we’ve seen that a good few times for us. 

Thats part of who he is and how he wants to play the game it won’t change, managers will have to weigh up is good points against his bad and make a decision, but I’d have him back here in a heartbeat. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

The self destruct button was definitely pressed by Stones that night, I wasn’t all that surprised by how he was caught out we’ve seen that a good few times for us. 

Thats part of who he is and how he wants to play the game it won’t change, managers will have to weigh up is good points against his bad and make a decision, but I’d have him back here in a heartbeat. 

Me too

OK so the Italian goal in the Women's World Cup that followed this was ruled out by VAR for offside. Certainly the Italian's upper half was offside but her feet were most certainly not, what's the rule on this? I'm assuming it must go on forward most position of whole body but surely as it's football and her progress to goal relied on her foot speed the decision ought to be based on where her feet were should it not? Goal shouldn't be ruled out because her left shoulder was off. Madness.Capture.JPG

14 minutes ago, MikeO said:

OK so the Italian goal in the Women's World Cup that followed this was ruled out by VAR for offside. Certainly the Italian's upper half was offside but her feet were most certainly not, what's the rule on this? I'm assuming it must go on forward most position of whole body but surely as it's football and her progress to goal relied on her foot speed the decision ought to be based on where her feet were should it not? Goal shouldn't be ruled out because her left shoulder was off. Madness.Capture.JPG

Your correct.

Don't mind the rule though as having your shoulder forward gives you momentum to beat the defender to the ball. They should've timed their run better. 

2 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Your correct.

Don't mind the rule though as having your shoulder forward gives you momentum to beat the defender to the ball. They should've timed their run better. 

Point taken but I still think it's wrong. Like you say it's down to the timing of the run (achieved by where you put your feet), which I think in this case was perfect. By the logic of the law as it stands (I trust you to be right on that) if the Australian defender happened to be pointing towards goal with her left arm marshalling a team-mate then it would've been allowed because the Italian was "on" by a well manicured fingernail. If that's the law then for me it needs to be changed.

Can’t be doing with your foot is slightly ahead of someone so your offside bollocks. The game is supposed to favour attacking football, it should go back to daylight between players. Great scenes the other night when Lingard scored and it just deflates you with that VAR bollocks