IGNORED

Martinez won't last the season

thats because the kopites are all over the media. Still true about Southampton though, but we still deserve recognition at the same time.

In fairness, we'd probably complain that the media were being patronising if they so gushing about Everton. It's clear though that Southampton are a smaller club than Everton in just about every measure so it really is a great achievement for them.

In fairness, we'd probably complain that the media were being patronising if they so gushing about Everton. It's clear though that Southampton are a smaller club than Everton in just about every measure so it really is a great achievement for them.

they are patronizing when it comes to Everton though!

Southampton are fresh news, Everton are big club, if the playing field were level we would be head and shoulders above the big money boys, top 4, call them what you want.

Arsenal and liverpool are where they are at the momet because they can buy big and pay massive wages, Everton can't and Southampton are the same, we've been doing it for years now, Southampton haven't, so they will stand out.

This is going to be the most open premier league for years, if Saurez were an Everton player we would be top of the table!

Southampton are fresh news, Everton are big club, if the playing field were level we would be head and shoulders above the big money boys, top 4, call them what you want.

Arsenal and liverpool are where they are at the momet because they can buy big and pay massive wages, Everton can't and Southampton are the same, we've been doing it for years now, Southampton haven't, so they will stand out.

This is going to be the most open premier league for years, if Saurez were an Everton player we would be top of the table!

Southampton can and have bought big. They have rich owners :(.

So that's a weakness and therefore we're not looking great at the back. It's not difficult to get at us. I don't agree that we look solid when we're set tbh. We look at our weakest defensively from set plays. The opposition attackers are constantly finding themselves completely unmarked. Against Palace on one occasion they had three, yes three!, players all on their own attacking the ball.

But its not a structural weakness its more of a decision making weakness. Every team in the league will have the same weakness if they keep hold of the ball and attack teams. Martinez cant set his team up to allow for players giving the ball away in stupid areas. We spend large periods of the game looking fully in charge (defensively) and then we give them a freebie from nothing. When I was referring to set, I meant in open play but you're right about the set pieces against Palace and its not the first time. Not sure why as I still marking man for man (unless it was a freekick?).

• 2 weeks later...

There are some interesting comments in this article. Perhaps the most amusing refers to Kone being "the best crap player in the league" and Fellaini being "the most crap great player in the league".

The comments on Martinez, though, are very positive: "It seems as though Martinez is not some plucky hero who plays jaw-dropping football at the expense of results, but just a good manager. It'll be a surprise if his stay at Everton is ended by anything other than leaving for a bigger club." Personally, though, I'd change the final sentence to read "It'll be a surprise if his stay at Everton is ended by anything other than retirement after a long and successful career."

I hope he gets a few quid to spend in the next few transfer windows.

I don't. I hope he saves every penny and goes for Lukaku at the end of the season. I think something clicked for him yesterday and he gets what being an everton player means now, Go back to chelsea and be one of many squad players or stay at a team genuinely on the up and be worshipped as a god.

I love the romantic view and I'd love to think that lukaku would want to sign for us permanent but he will go to Chelsea and score goals. Unless Jose doesn't rate him and signs falcoa. He is a £25 mill striker unfortunately

Roberto Martinez has made Everton a proud and confident team again -

We take the fight to the big guns with an attractive style of play -

I do not think any other side have created so many chances against Liverpool this season as we did yesterday-

we just need 3 or four more top class players to run with the top dogs again -

for a first season he has already made some very refreshing changes -

not many managers manages to do that.

I don't remember the last time I watched ITV to be honest.

Likewise, certainly not at peak populist prime-time tabloid TV periods, had no idea they'd resurrected SS. Was sickeningly cloying the first time around, sure this version will be worse.

I'll forgive Roberto because he obviously had no choice in it. Embarrassing though.

Still makes me chuckle this thread title...

I think Everton fans are in a good place at the moment, all the "Martinez will take us down playing nice football" seems to be a distant memory, its not a case of I told you so - it's a case of "i'm pleased I was right - because its in the best interests of the club".

Don't get me wrong, I think there will be the odd 4-2 defeat where some will say "Moyes would have got a point out of that" etc etc... however RM will get more right than wrong.

Just look at how Moyes has taken a league winning team and had them conceding late goals due to his conservative nature - he did this with us, how many times??? I know we conceded late on against Liverpool but the manner in which we played attacking gutsy football was pleasing, it was like watching two boxers go toe to toe - like Hearns vs Hagler.

Gerry to replace Baines and reshuffle using Barry as left back???!!! WOW - under Moyes I would have expected to see Distin move to left back and Heitinga to come on in the centre.

It feels like our new manager has gone trawling through match day threads and has identified the frustrations we had under Moyes... This was a landmark game that has announced Everton as "LETS GET AT THEM AND HAVE A GO" rather than "Plucky, tough to beat, organised".

This game may be the one that really pushes this group of players on - I do hope so.

Still makes me chuckle this thread title...

I think Everton fans are in a good place at the moment, all the "Martinez will take us down playing nice football" seems to be a distant memory, its not a case of I told you so - it's a case of "i'm pleased I was right - because its in the best interests of the club".

Don't get me wrong, I think there will be the odd 4-2 defeat where some will say "Moyes would have got a point out of that" etc etc... however RM will get more right than wrong.

Just look at how Moyes has taken a league winning team and had them conceding late goals due to his conservative nature - he did this with us, how many times??? I know we conceded late on against Liverpool but the manner in which we played attacking gutsy football was pleasing, it was like watching two boxers go toe to toe - like Hearns vs Hagler.

Gerry to replace Baines and reshuffle using Barry as left back???!!! WOW - under Moyes I would have expected to see Distin move to left back and Heitinga to come on in the centre.

It feels like our new manager has gone trawling through match day threads and has identified the frustrations we had under Moyes... This was a landmark game that has announced Everton as "LETS GET AT THEM AND HAVE A GO" rather than "Plucky, tough to beat, organised".

This game may be the one that really pushes this group of players on - I do hope so.

How many times did we equalise in the last minute to salvage a point or win the game under Moyes? Quite a lot.

If Moyes played anyone out of position, he got slated. Dont understand why this is a wow here. If RM had brought Stones on for Baines and gone to 3 at the back, that wouldve made more sense to me and still have been a postive move. The example given of Distin to LB and Heits in would have shown Moyes making moves to keep a tried and tested structure. No, its not as attacking but attacking is useless without a solid defence. I'll admit, I was nervous when Deul came on because I felt we needed Barry in the CM with McCarthy to continue to keep Gerrard and Coutihno quiet. Just think people have forgotten that Moyes can be very tactically aware, because of the times he frustrated and the way he has conducted himself since he left. Yes hes conservative a lot of the time, but it served him and us well.

But dont get me wrong here, Im very happy in general. There was a lot less dicking about with the passing at the back in recent games and we went at them - carpe jugulum. Some sloppy finishing / final passing couple with their keeper being in great form aside, we looked a real threat. We wanted to win by outscoring rather than solid defence which is great to watch, until the opposition has the ball in our 3rd, in which case its scary. I still want to see the defence Moyes built but with the attacking mentality of Martinez. Its not quite there yet but Ive every confidence the balance will be found...

How many times did we equalise in the last minute to salvage a point or win the game under Moyes? Quite a lot.

If Moyes played anyone out of position, he got slated. Dont understand why this is a wow here. If RM had brought Stones on for Baines and gone to 3 at the back, that wouldve made more sense to me and still have been a postive move. The example given of Distin to LB and Heits in would have shown Moyes making moves to keep a tried and tested structure. No, its not as attacking but attacking is useless without a solid defence. I'll admit, I was nervous when Deul came on because I felt we needed Barry in the CM with McCarthy to continue to keep Gerrard and Coutihno quiet. Just think people have forgotten that Moyes can be very tactically aware, because of the times he frustrated and the way he has conducted himself since he left. Yes hes conservative a lot of the time, but it served him and us well.

But dont get me wrong here, Im very happy in general. There was a lot less dicking about with the passing at the back in recent games and we went at them - carpe jugulum. Some sloppy finishing / final passing couple with their keeper being in great form aside, we looked a real threat. We wanted to win by outscoring rather than solid defence which is great to watch, until the opposition has the ball in our 3rd, in which case its scary. I still want to see the defence Moyes built but with the attacking mentality of Martinez. Its not quite there yet but Ive every confidence the balance will be found...

My overall match day memories of a Moyes side will be:- hardworking, regimented, defensive, one dimensional, poor subs, disciplined, with the last 10 minutes of 1 goal leads spent with a resting heart rate of 120 bpm watching us sat back inviting pressure.

As you will see not all traits are negative - some enabled him to save us from relagation, but others prevented us from doing better than we did.

Martinez may turn out to be too cavalier but at this moment I am throughly enjoying us going at teams right up to the final whistle.

Barry wasn't played out of position - he started out as a centre half and then moved to left back, then left midfield and then centre mid. He has played left back for England. Just a good talented player. I just thought taking a defensive player out of midfiled and putting a loose cannon in there was a great gamble and it paid off. I do think that Moyes at that stage would have gone conservative as many other fans said who were watching it around me. RM is unpredictable and I love it.

My overall match day memories of a Moyes side will be:- hardworking, regimented, defensive, one dimensional, poor subs, disciplined, with the last 10 minutes of 1 goal leads spent with a resting heart rate of 120 bpm watching us sat back inviting pressure.

As you will see not all traits are negative - some enabled him to save us from relagation, but others prevented us from doing better than we did.

Martinez may turn out to be too cavalier but at this moment I am throughly enjoying us going at teams right up to the final whistle.

Barry wasn't played out of position - he started out as a centre half and then moved to left back, then left midfield and then centre mid. He has played left back for England. Just a good talented player. I just thought taking a defensive player out of midfiled and putting a loose cannon in there was a great gamble and it paid off. I do think that Moyes at that stage would have gone conservative as many other fans said who were watching it around me. RM is unpredictable and I love it.

fair enough :)

Didnt know Barry had played LB before. Thought his lack of pace would rule him out of that position. Hope he doesnt become the solution during Baines' absence!

fair enough :)

Didnt know Barry had played LB before. Thought his lack of pace would rule him out of that position. Hope he doesnt become the solution during Baines' absence!

I remember as a young lad he used to get a fair few goals too long rangers with his left peg. Youngest player to reach 300 prem appearances.

I think he's got the brain and composure to play almost anywhere - bit like Gerrard.

I've lost count of the number of Man U fans complaining to me about Moyes defensive substitutions trying to protect a lead. They expect to be going on and killing teams off. Made me smile :D

'RM is unpredictable and I love it' - come on admit it, nobody else would have thought of putting Gerard on for Bainesy - it just shows a really refreshing mindset and approach to trying to win games. Maybe a result of some of the frustrations of the Palace game, but proves he is prepared to gamble in an effort to win games.

To be applauded.

I've lost count of the number of Man U fans complaining to me about Moyes defensive substitutions trying to protect a lead. They expect to be going on and killing teams off. Made me smile :D

'RM is unpredictable and I love it' - come on admit it, nobody else would have thought of putting Gerard on for Bainesy - it just shows a really refreshing mindset and approach to trying to win games. Maybe a result of some of the frustrations of the Palace game, but proves he is prepared to gamble in an effort to win games.

To be applauded.

Still not used my "told ya so" quota up with Man United fans as yet - but yeah pretty much agree, the knowledgable ones are pretty much resigned to the fact that he will be given a season, of which he probably will not have done enough to justify another...

Anyone who feels sorry for him should remember that it was despite the manner in which he left that we now have a more expansive manger - not because of it. Look at what SAF did for the Mancs, he understood that him going would leave a void so worked on picking a successor with good time, Moyes? he just waited and left us with no compo nor notice (or did he?)

Anyway, I wouldn't swap RM for any other manager in the prem. :yay:

Still not used my "told ya so" quota up with Man United fans as yet - but yeah pretty much agree, the knowledgable ones are pretty much resigned to the fact that he will be given a season, of which he probably will not have done enough to justify another...

Anyone who feels sorry for him should remember that it was despite the manner in which he left that we now have a more expansive manger - not because of it. Look at what SAF did for the Mancs, he understood that him going would leave a void so worked on picking a successor with good time, Moyes? he just waited and left us with no compo nor notice (or did he?)

Anyway, I wouldn't swap RM for any other manager in the prem. :yay:

Amen to that. In Martinez We Trust!