IGNORED

Gerard Deulofeu

I think it's more likely that Barca are reacting to us loaning him out tbh - they've seen that the new management aren't that keen on him and we'll be looking to move him on, so Barca have seen a quick way to make some money on him.

I thought his contract was they could buy him back the first 2/3 years but if not he was all ours after that. my thinking is barca planned on buying him back (unless he was absolute shit) when that clause came up to sell him for a profit. I think that was their plan all along with that contract and I believe MC said the same when he signed the contract initially.

his value has increased because he did look good under Martinez and he's still young and has the barca pedigree, pretty much certain to at least get a deal in Spain or Italy (like a Tello, Munir, etc).

I thought his contract was they could buy him back the first 2/3 years but if not he was all ours after that. my thinking is barca planned on buying him back (unless he was absolute shit) when that clause came up to sell him for a profit. I think that was their plan all along with that contract and I believe MC said the same when he signed the contract initially.

his value has increased because he did look good under Martinez and he's still young and has the barca pedigree, pretty much certain to at least get a deal in Spain or Italy (like a Tello, Munir, etc).

That is his contract, yes, but if he was still in our plans and we weren't putting him in the shop window I don't believe they'd activate that clause. If it's even true that they will anyway. But because we don't look like we want to keep him Barca don't want us making the money on him and will make the profit on him instead. They know we'd get more than £10m for him so they're getting in on it themselves. Edited by Romey 1878

Yep. They can sign him back this summer - last chance.

He will probably get sold for about £15m

Depends on the outlet for the 2 or 3 season option.

If it's 2 years, that option expires 30th June. If it's 3, we'll just have to wait and see. Still, ball is in our court. We don't have to sell him to Barca, right? Or, at the very least, he doesn't have to agree to the move.

Depends on the outlet for the 2 or 3 season option.

If it's 2 years, that option expires 30th June. If it's 3, we'll just have to wait and see. Still, ball is in our court. We don't have to sell him to Barca, right? Or, at the very least, he doesn't have to agree to the move.

Essentially it's a loan dressed up differently. The lad has the talent to be a mega star - they made it so that they would not lose out.

There was criticism at Barcelona that Deulofeu was allowed to leave in the first place, although Martinez revealed the extent to which the Nou Camp club have protected themselves should the youngsters form be maintained.

The buy-back clause is 9m (Euros) for the first year and 12m in the second year, said the Everton manager, who had Deulofeu on loan for the season in 2013-14.

There is nothing we can do if they activate it. There are certain things in the deal. They cant take him back in the winter so they cant take him back in January.

It can only be at the end of the season. If they take him back they cant sell him for a season, so he has to stay in the first team squad for a season.

At the end of that if they decide to sell him, we have got first rights of getting him back or we have got a big percentage of that (fee).

They can buy him back but cannot sell him for 12 months after, apparently it's to step them buying him back for 6 million and selling him for twice that amount a week later.

I doubt it will stop them. watch. they buy him back. loan him to a lower Liga side where he's the focus (Granada, las palmas, etc) and bags some goals and assists and then is sold for double. it will happen. he's not going to rot on their bench.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought experiment: If he'd never played for Everton, would our scouts pick up on him in Italy and would we see his name somewhere in this forum's Transfers section?

nah the italian league is lower quality and a different style of play. also Gerry doesn't fit Koeman's versatile hard working midfielder/winger/striker concept.