IGNORED

David Moyes thread

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like he's getting a lot of flak right now from Reds fans for disappointing results, an unduly negative approach (today, for example, bringing on defenders to hold on to a 1-0 lead), and poor substitutions. (Given how few substitutions he made in earlier games, I'm reminded of an old joke from British Rail days: "They serve such bad food, and you get so little of it.")

I'm beginning to think that Mourinho caused one of the big problems. By suggesting a Rooney transfer to Chelsea, he unsettled the player. Then Rooney appeared to fall out with his new manager (maybe lingering resentments from the past). I can imagine there were demands behind the scenes to keep Rooney happy, so to some extent the team strategy now revolves around Rooney. He moves forward instead of dropping behind RVP, leaving too big a gap behind him, and the Reds try to compensate by overusing wing play. Such a strategy must be relatively easy to play against, leading to a string of poor results.

It's a no-win situation. The fans have their knives out already, which I really can't understand so soon in the season. The press will love this because it makes for great news. Then the players in the dressing room will become unsettled, and transfer targets will think twice about joining them. Then the downward spiral will continue. How to break out of it?

Ferguson will be back in temp charge by December.

I know where youre coming from but I cant see it happening. Utd would have to pay a fortune to get rid of him. Assuming hes on the same 70k a week he was at Everton its 22m to get rid of him. Looking around, the deal he signed was 30m over 6 years. Either way, its a huge chunk even for a team like Utd.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24597597

I know where youre coming from but I cant see it happening. Utd would have to pay a fortune to get rid of him. Assuming hes on the same 70k a week he was at Everton its 22m to get rid of him. Looking around, the deal he signed was 30m over 6 years. Either way, its a huge chunk even for a team like Utd.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24597597

Thanks for posting that link. One of the quotes they give from David Moyes is the following: "While it was 1-0, there was always the chance that Southampton might get something. I thought we had just about seen it out, then they got the corner late on." The Reds at home? Against the Saints? And they have to "see it out"? Shouldn't they be out there trying to extend a 1-0 lead? These words speak volumes.

He's had a handful of games to see what's what. It's not him out on the pitch.

He was a bit smug towards the end of his time here, and again in his approach for our players, but I'm sure that smugness will have been brought back down to earth now that the honeymoon period has been spoiled by bad weather.

I still think he'll be fine though. Southampton are a team in good form and high confidence, and United still wasted lots of chances, and hit the woodwork, so sometimes things don't go your way. It shows how little United fans understand about their own team, or football in general, by their reaction.

Fuck em :lol:

Just had a thought after reading on the BBC that this is the worst start in 24 yrs for Utd, that was when Fergie took over. Ok, the difference in team quality between then and now in squad quality has dramatically improved but still, as has been mentioned an few times, Utds squad quality hasn't been great for 2-3 years. The only reason they won last season was RVPs goals so its not all down to Moyes.

I think he needs to be backed in January and for that they need a proper businessman doing the deals for them. If they signed another quality CM and if (and its a big if) Moyes starts being more attack minded I can see them bouncing back. Not for the title but bear in mind our consistently slow starts to campaigns followed by very impressive runs which saw us finish top7-8 most of the time, it's too early to panic.

Moyes said the fear of Utd should come from the team on the pitch and I agree. Their team needs to find its balance of arrogance on the ball and grit that has served them well over the years. Whilst a large part of that is down to the boss, the players need to pull their fingers out. This is most of my reasoning that its too early to write Moyes / Utd off just yet. 1 bad season could be a blessing for them, albeit a very, very well disguised one currently....

Its not like Moyes is suddenly going to become attack minded though Matt! He might do it for the odd game but thats it.

The main problem I see is that these are all Fergies players. They know what it was like under him and they respected him and played for him. Moyes has come in and not really changed much. Same players, similar tactics just not quite the same drive and belief that Utd always used to have. Moyes should have had 4 or 5 players coming in over the summer with a couple of them being world class players. Players that he wanted and players that wantwd to play for him.

I laugh when I think of moyes after the Swansea game thinking he had the bit between his teeth. Oh what a ling season the premiership is.... I just want him to last long enough for his return to goodison so he can watch a team express themselves and he'ok see the shackles in t he changing room.

You sound like the policeman in Allo Allo.

aye aye whats going on here!!!

Can't help but feel that old SAF has thrown Moyes a tough one to handle, just when you thought Rooney is settled into playing, fergies book has taken a few pot shots at Rooney... They can't afford to have him derailed. Rooney will be paranoid and feeling unappreciated, a bad mix.

Ferguson's ego at work again. He's put that before the club he supposedly loves.

I can't stand the man and the release of his book has only increased that feeling.

He thinks he's bigger than the game... my hatred of united wasn't so great over the past 20 years as we haven't rivalled them and slowly but surely they dismantled Liverpools superiority complex.

However, since the Rooney sale and their arrogance in believing that we are some sort of feeder club - I have been agitated by them. Furthermore the method in their approach of Moyes and Moyes change in demeanour now he's at the helm of the big boys has meant I now despise them.

Evertonians were once the only group of fans who didn't hate united... who in fact used to root for them when playing Liverpool. We were the only ones outside Manchester who wanted United to win the league and were gutted when Aguero clinched it for City... wanting another blow to Liverpool. It's all changed and we now see and despise the apprant arrogance associated with that club.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/oct/23/david-moyes-manchester-united-bad-start?CMP=twt_gu

Interesting read, some key points I identify with:-

"They keep telling me how good he is," said Moyes of Kagawa before United played Liverpool in the League Cup, with revealing pronoun. Then, just as in every game he has started this season, he was first fielded out of position before being substituted, his involvement intermittent, but also including sharp, incisive and perceptive passes – precisely the quality absent most of the rest of the time. = ROSS BARKLEY

"By no measure is the current United squad one of the club's finest, but the fact remains that it secured last season's title before the end of April and contains a goodly number of players still improving. Consequently, Moyes's lack of respect for its credentials served only to suggest his own shortcomings, because ultimately, there are only three differences between this season's United and last: a player signed by David Moyes, men employed by David Moyes and David Moyes."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/oct/23/david-moyes-manchester-united-bad-start?CMP=twt_gu

"They keep telling me how good he is," said Moyes of Kagawa before United played Liverpool in the League Cup, with revealing pronoun. Then, just as in every game he has started this season, he was first fielded out of position before being substituted, his involvement intermittent, but also including sharp, incisive and perceptive passes – precisely the quality absent most of the rest of the time. = ROSS BARKLEY

"By no measure is the current United squad one of the club's finest, but the fact remains that it secured last season's title before the end of April and contains a goodly number of players still improving. Consequently, Moyes's lack of respect for its credentials served only to suggest his own shortcomings, because ultimately, there are only three differences between this season's United and last: a player signed by David Moyes, men employed by David Moyes and David Moyes."

Quite a damning piece, I'd say, written by someone who is steeped in Reds history. Interesting that the writer contrasts Moyes' lack of substitutions against City with RM's inspired substitutions and subsequent victory against the Hammers.

About the first extract, Kagawa is an amazing player but it's more his fault for joining United than Moyes', as he didn't play all that much (though still much more than under Moyes) and mainly out of position for Ferguson too. He's a number ten that went to a team that doesn't use one.

The second extract is quite damning indeed, though it's still early in the season and I think they'll steady the ship and finish in the top 4, which I think will be good enough in the first season for him to keep his job.

Manchester United manager David Moyes, on Robin van Persie's absence against Real Sociedad: "He has two bad toes and has been complaining about his groin so we took the chance to rest him and get him ready for the weekend.
"We've got a big squad and players who are fresh. All you can do is win the next game and we'll try and beat Sociedad. That will give us a good points tally.
"They have not started the Spanish season as well as they would like but they had a good win against Valencia at the weekend."

from the bbc... try and beat Real Sociedad?!

Terrible, isn't it? It should be "try to beat Real Sociedad". ;)

It must be so frustrating for Reds' fans to see expectations being set so low. They should be hearing, "we're fielding a strong team and expect to win. We are determined to finish top of our group."

sorry, tried to vote that up! Damn fat fingers and iPad!

I cant help thinking that SAF has timed the release of his book perfectly to rally the Man Utd players around Moyes.

By releasing the book now, talking rubbish about Rooney has only resulted in Rooney sticking up for Moyes. Was that the idea behind releasing the book now?

SAF obviously feels this way about Rooney, Keene, Beckham, Hargreaves etc but the timing of the release suggests that he wants the troopers to stand by their new manager and their own team.

Or maybe i'm just wearing a hat made of tin foil.

I cant help thinking that SAF has timed the release of his book perfectly to rally the Man Utd players around Moyes.

By releasing the book now, talking rubbish about Rooney has only resulted in Rooney sticking up for Moyes. Was that the idea behind releasing the book now?

SAF obviously feels this way about Rooney, Keene, Beckham, Hargreaves etc but the timing of the release suggests that he wants the troopers to stand by their new manager and their own team.

Or maybe i'm just wearing a hat made of tin foil.

Not SAF, The publishers have timed the release of the book to coincide with the time when people start buying presents for Christmas... also whilst there is a focus on football. Thats why you see Fifa and Footy manager come out this time of year. Its all about money.

SAF does what is right for him, did he consider Man United when he greedily pursued stud rights from Rock of Gibralter, destroying his relationship with Magnier and McManus who showed their power by releasing the 99 questions regarding his dealings and then selling their shares to the glazers - thereby turning United into a debt monster.