IGNORED

David Moyes thread

I can actually see them going back to how things were with Ron Atkinson in the 1980s before Ferguson took over so long as Moyes remains in charge.

Edit - Atkinson actually lead the team to two FA Cup triumphs, but in terms of overall stature you understand. As with Liverpool after 1990, the domination years could actually be coming to an end. Hope Moyes keeps it up.

Dutch coaching manual author and former Wales assistant manager has had a pop at him here: www.twitter.com/raymondverheije

He doesn't think much of Moyes and Phil Neville.

It was sad to see Rugby United loose against WBA today. Every time RVP does not come to the rescue, United look like a very average team.

As RVP was struggling with muscle problems for second time already this season, United had to do it without him for most of the game today.

When coaching a smaller club like Everton one can play reactive football to frustrate opponent & to win many points with good counter play.

However when coaching a big club like United it’s the opponent who’s playing reactive football & it’s up to manager to come up with solution

That’s why a lot of managers struggle when they move from a small to a big club. They don’t understand how to break down a defensive wall.

Another problem is the fact that Moyes is very rigid with his 4-4-2. This is a very vulnerable tactic, especially against 4-2-3-1 & 4-1-4-1.

Despite the 4-1 win, everyone who understands football could already see United’s tactical problem in the Swansea game last month.

In Swansea game, United played with 2 central midfielders against 3 Swansea midfielders. But in that particular game, RVP came to the rescue

As most people in Jurassic Park don't have a clue about tactics, they were all talking about the 4-1 win instead of the tactical blunder.

Even the tactically clueless pundits of Match of the Day said United had played well. What can you expect of these Jurassic Park products?

In the Manchester derby the same tactical blunder proved to be very costly as Carrick & Fellani were totally overrun by the City midfielders

The future doesn't look bright as Moyes was allowed to take with him his tactically clueless friends from Everton & released Fergie’s staff.

It might have been smart if he had kept 1 of Fergie’s coaches as they know the team & understand how to deal with the opponent’s tactics.

Former coach Meulensteen would have had more to offer to United than all the current clueless & inexperienced nobodies on the United bench.

442 and counterattacking? Don't think he ever watched Everton, anyone from here could have stated he struggles to breakdown teams who park the bus.

I think the 442 comment is more in relation to the fact he only plays with 2 central midfielders and then one man off the striker (as opposed to a 3rd central midfielder).

I also think he means counterattacking in respect of when we were playing the bigger clubs in that we let them dictate the ball, sat deep and then tried to get forward (albeit unsuccessfully most of the time!). We have always said that Moyes is reactive, he sets his team up to negate the strengths of the opposition instead of trying to emphasise his own teams strengths. If it was frustrating for us, it will be even more frustrating for Utd fans who expect to win 95% of the matches they compete in.

I like how he points to Moyes's use of a 4-4-2, with a slightly deeper striker in place of an extra mid, as allowing Man city to over-run them in midfield, but ignores that city played exactly the same formation with Aguero playing the deeper role that Rooney did. Think there are deeper issues with United than what formation they put out at the moment.

Damned if you do, and damned if your don't. DM is between a rock and a hard place. Do you enoucrage and try to boost players who aren't playing well, or do you try to reset expectations by telling the world that your team is weak? From the Telegraph: The narrative of the season so far from Moyes has been one of lowering expectations. The squad, he insists, is not strong enough in key areas and the Scot even suggested in the wake of the 4-1 defeat at Manchester City last week, which he described as “embarrassing”, that he required two new players to go straight into his starting 11. Moyes is undoubtedly correct in his assessment, United do lack quality, particularly in midfield, but there is a danger that he is giving his players an excuse for failure by repeatedly highlighting their frailties.

He certainly is a stubborn ******.

I think he got carried away with the win over Le Merd and thought he could just trot out any combo against The Baggies and get a victory. I have said this many times before about Moyes but i think it is still appropriate - his best selections are often forced on him through injury or suspensions ie he could n't pick his nose when he has something to pick from. I tipped my cap to him when he departed but I am not sorry he's gone.

He certainly is a stubborn ******.

I think he got carried away with the win over Le Merd and thought he could just trot out any combo against The Baggies and get a victory. I have said this many times before about Moyes but i think it is still appropriate - his best selections are often forced on him through injury or suspensions ie he could n't pick his nose when he has something to pick from. I tipped my cap to him when he departed but I am not sorry he's gone.

I often thought that, he gets the best performances when he is left with a bare bones squad - more or less "give it your best shot boys and do the shirt proud"

Given options and decisions he fluffs his lines.

If he was at United and paid the relevant amount of respect to our club and left in the correct manner - which he didn't do. I would have a little amount of sympathy for him and would just be pleased that we have a better manager. As it happens he has acted like a complete arrogant sod and I am enjoying watching his reputation take a nose dive - he built up this reputation by making out we were small time and he was somehow doing us a favour... he wasn't and he ain't that great.

Soooo, until I feel like i've had my pound of Moyes flesh toffeetalkers - you will just have to tolerate the Haf-Moyes hatred for the time being.

Six games in and things are interesting. I had always had the impression that we had a 'low budget' team and it was Moyes who had been keeping us up. Sure he's made some astute signings, and pulled off some great wins, but now with us at 4th and ManUtd sitting at 12th, you have to wonder. Is it the manger, or the players?

I could have sworn the whole point of this thread was for peeps interested in Moyes to post free from the bashers batting them into line. :rolleyes:

I think the thread started before Moyes decided to disprespect us so unfortunately it's now turned into the "I told you he wasn't all that" thread for me.

It's old news. I read the same article some time back. And at some point in Moyes Everton managerial career, he must have have seen the club above Manchester United at some time or another, so it's a bit misleading information. Furthermore, it was not a 'football funny' as it provided no humor whatsoever, but some people will find the least thing amusing.

Edit - the article should read 'funnies', and not funnys surely, but either way, there was nothing to laugh about.