IGNORED

Gareth Barry

Surprised we didn't sort this out before the end of the season, his experience is invaluable for any youngsters coming through. We would have easily got 25-30 games a season out of him once we bought an extra midfielder in summer as well.

I think he'll end up somewhere else now. Hope i'm wrong.

Surprised we didn't sort this out before the end of the season, his experience is invaluable for any youngsters coming through. We would have easily got 25-30 games a season out of him once we bought an extra midfielder in summer as well.

He probably wanted to keep his options open to see what came along.

We're evens to sign him,

to be honest I can't see him going anywhere else. No clubs in the CL will realistically want him, and he'd rather have EU league than nothing I think.

It'd take more than that to replace him anyway

I suppose. Still seems a little excessive for a 33 year old though. In some ways I'd rather spend a little more on getting in someone who could do that role for the next 5-8 years. But then you've got to take into consideration that they'll more than likely take time to bed in.

I suppose. Still seems a little excessive for a 33 year old though. In some ways I'd rather spend a little more on getting in someone who could do that role for the next 5-8 years. But then you've got to take into consideration that they'll more than likely take time to bed in.

Yeah, plus I see him as a on-field coach for McCarthy and others. We get a lot more than a DMC with him, we get a true professional who can inspire others around him.

33 year old should not get a 3 year contract. It should be one year at a time, at the most it should be a 2 year.

Should we now give Hibbert and Distin a new 3 year contract? Will they think they also should have a 3 year contract after all the years they have been here. I feel this contract could change things in the club in a bad way by putting our wage ratio well up if we have a bad season.

I agree with a one year contract around those wages. Players start running out of gas around Barry's age, with Distin being an exception to the rule.

Hes never really had "gas" though, that was one of the big concerns of signing him in the first place.

He does however read the game very well and that makes up for his lack of pace. That will continue even if he does slow down (not sure its possible)

Hes never really had "gas" though, that was one of the big concerns of signing him in the first place.

He does however read the game very well and that makes up for his lack of pace. That will continue even if he does slow down (not sure its possible)

You do make a good point -- Barry isn't known for his ability to run up and down the field, but if he gets any slower...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why? He's not a massive signing or anything to get excited about. You can tell Evertonians have been starved of success!

thats harsh Mark. Like I said, and is generally accepted, Barry was a large part of our progress last season and to have that stability in the centre of the park, not to mention first meaningful signing, is something worth celebrating !

thats harsh Mark. Like I said, and is generally accepted, Barry was a large part of our progress last season and to have that stability in the centre of the park, not to mention first meaningful signing, is something worth celebrating !

Monumental that we may be signing a 33 year old freebie. I'll just go and get the champagne...

I'm not saying he's a bad signing or anything but something to pop your cork over? Sad, really.

Monumental that we may be signing a 33 year old freebie. I'll just go and get the champagne...

I'm not saying he's a bad signing or anything but something to pop your cork over? Sad, really.

you negative Nancy!

yeah, if you look at it like that then ok i agree. but its not like anyone of us are needing changes of underwear!

Im looking at reuniting a solid and successful CDM partnership being reunited, a player with masses of experience coming in to be a role model for McCarthy amongst others. Id love to be celebrating a star signing, but i will celebrate a squad improvement just as much. The spine of last seasons team back together, thats worth celebrating.