IGNORED

Gareth Barry

I disagree. Like I have said before McGeady was Jelavics replacement as he had eyes on moving Naismith forward. The impact the pair of them had was far greater than anything Jelavic would have contributed.

That's just probability.

I agree Naismith had a massive impact last season. Mcgeady not so.

I too agree with Duncan though. Martinez should have replaced before he let them go.

I was reffering more to Jelavic. When he left Naismith was our only fit forward so we had nobody to come off the bench. In some games Naismith was looking tired and/or innefective but we had no other options

I had no problem with Roberto selling Hietinga and Jelavic but I just think he should have did what he said he was going to do and bring in replacements first

I think Traore was supposed to be the replacement, but we got very unlucky with Traore getting injured again.

detrimental? when we got the most points ever and we neck and neck with arsenal for CL? that we secured top Europa spot?

Yeas that's correct

We went into the January window right in the mix for 4th but we failed to strengthen the squad and fell away as a consequence. Before that window we already needed to bring in another CF so when we let Jelavic go we needed 2 and didn't end up getting any

Yes overall it was a good season but how much better could it have been? To go into the second half of the season with just Naismith and Lukaku as our only recognised forwards was a bad call IMO

Lukaku getting injured was unfortunate but the Traore saga was just a farce

Are we really saying that we should have kept jelavic? That by keeping him, we would have done better?

Have I got the right man here? Jelavic who scored a grand total of 16 in 59 appearances? 9 of which came in his first 13 games? He would have done naff all if we kept him. We got a belting fee for him, that's football business. And fool Hull for paying that. They were obviously looking for another striker and made us an offer we rubbed hands at. Hopefully that's a few quid we'll see spent this summer. Who was available in January that we should have bought?

I can understand the gripe about Traore. That was a gamble and a half. But that's football. Every deal is a gamble. Some come off. Some don't.

And Barry...I hope he signs. But I don't blame him for waiting for the best deal he can get. This is probably the last pro contract he will sign. Wouldn't you want one last big pay day to secure yours and your family's future?

Dunc hasn't said we should have kept Jelavic. I really don't know why people keep saying this!

And don't you think Barry's future and his family's future are more than secured after getting a contract with City?!

Your right, he didn't say that. However, there is a crossover in the comments. Detrimental to finishing 4th etc. I know, I know, that's maybe more aimed at signing a replacement (or 2!). But it can be read either way. Maybe that's why 'people keep saying this'???

And I don't know if it was secured with a city contract? He might have took a big fuck off mortgage out on multiple properties? I know, securing the family's future is a daft example for these guys. But it's his last pro contract, probably. He probably won't earn much after he retires. So he has the next 50 years of his life to think about? Just trying to think about it from a 'mutual' point of view rather than an evertonian point of view. Of course, we as evertonians would quite happily sign for Everton straight away!

I don't believe anyone that says they wouldn't hold out for as much as they can get for their final contract. He's a free agent, he can do what he likes. He owes us nothing other than the brilliant season he had.

This is quite true (although it shouldn't be management speak, it should be genuine!). The downfall is that it may work when people are earning a few quid....Not so much when there are tens of thousands a week at stake.

So I don't think Roberto does it because he's been taught it on a course, he does it because he's a good genuine bloke.

Not enough people around are like that.

I'd say it's more important when they earn that sort of money. A £5k a week pay rise won't affect their daily lives, but trust from the boss would. Where for the normal man in the street the pay rise would affect the daily lives more than trust. As a manager he needs to treat his players as if money doesn't exist as footballers don't have money trouble (unless they are complete idiots).

I'm sure Roberto is genuine, but if he genuinely cares more about a player being happy even if they sign for another club I'd be a bit disappointed. As Mark said, Everton first.

Are we really saying that we should have kept jelavic? That by keeping him, we would have done better?

Have I got the right man here? Jelavic who scored a grand total of 16 in 59 appearances? 9 of which came in his first 13 games? He would have done naff all if we kept him. We got a belting fee for him, that's football business. And fool Hull for paying that. They were obviously looking for another striker and made us an offer we rubbed hands at. Hopefully that's a few quid we'll see spent this summer. Who was available in January that we should have bought?

I can understand the gripe about Traore. That was a gamble and a half. But that's football. Every deal is a gamble. Some come off. Some don't.

And Barry...I hope he signs. But I don't blame him for waiting for the best deal he can get. This is probably the last pro contract he will sign. Wouldn't you want one last big pay day to secure yours and your family's future?

Agree with every word.

I'd say it's more important when they earn that sort of money. A £5k a week pay rise won't affect their daily lives, but trust from the boss would. Where for the normal man in the street the pay rise would affect the daily lives more than trust. As a manager he needs to treat his players as if money doesn't exist as footballers don't have money trouble (unless they are complete idiots).

I'm sure Roberto is genuine, but if he genuinely cares more about a player being happy even if they sign for another club I'd be a bit disappointed. As Mark said, Everton first.

Fair enough. Different people, different views. Makes life interesting!!!

Guest blueboy122

I they want money for him I would leave it to be honest.

He isn't going to come here and be on low wages is he so this so called free transfer could turn into quite an expensive one.

Besic surely would be worth looking at? £2M release clause, 21, showed he was a player at the world cup with a lot of potential.

Guest rusty747

I think its a bit more complicated than that. If City contributed 40k a week towards Barry's salary last year then that is £2 million for the year loan and I have heard that a condition of the loan was that if it led to a permanent move we would have to 'repay' the £2 million.