IGNORED

Gareth Barry

• 1 month later...

With every match I notice Barry more and more and McCarthy less and less. Maybe we were overrating McCarthy at the beginning and not giving Gareth his dude.

Played lb and dcm yesterday. Also helped to moved the ball forward in attack just like his loan season. Without Europa he has looked refreshed, really happy with him.

If like to try dropping McCarthy and having Barry be the lone sitter or put Ross next to him, give us an extra attacker.

I'd like to try dropping McCarthy and having Barry be the lone sitter or put Ross next to him, give us an extra attacker.

Especially after next weekend's international break. McCarthy will probably play 90 minutes in both Euro qualifiers v. B-H. Give him a rest the weekend after v. Aston Villa. If RM sticks to 2 DCMs, then use Gibson, whose passing is often impressive. If not Gibson, ok, move Barkely back a little. Just give McCarthy a rest for once.

Especially after next weekend's international break. McCarthy will probably play 90 minutes in both Euro qualifiers v. B-H. Give him a rest the weekend after v. Aston Villa. If RM sticks to 2 DCMs, then use Gibson, whose passing is often impressive. If not Gibson, ok, move Barkely back a little. Just give McCarthy a rest for once.

He's one booking away from a suspension, so I'd play him and tell him not to be bothered about picking up a yellow as the game he'd miss would be Bournemouth away. He can have his rest then.

With every match I notice Barry more and more and McCarthy less and less. Maybe we were overrating McCarthy at the beginning and not giving Gareth his dude.

Played lb and dcm yesterday. Also helped to moved the ball forward in attack just like his loan season. Without Europa he has looked refreshed, really happy with him.

If like to try dropping McCarthy and having Barry be the lone sitter or put Ross next to him, give us an extra attacker.

It'd be useless to move Ross back at this point. He's not even handling his defensive responsibilities in the 10. Standing off players, letting them run, never putting in a challenge. He's been a liability defensively.

Maybe a trial by fire approach could work... But I don't want to take too many chances with as unreliable as our defense has been.

It'd be useless to move Ross back at this point. He's not even handling his defensive responsibilities in the 10. Standing off players, letting them run, never putting in a challenge. He's been a liability defensively.

Maybe a trial by fire approach could work... But I don't want to take too many chances with as unreliable as our defense has been.

Joe I don't want Barkley playing a McCarthy role, Barry already does. Let Barkley do whatever he does and just start further back. then have the 10 hole filled with another player. Kone and move mirallas left or put cleverley when fit there. No reason we need to defensive sitters.

Joe I don't want Barkley playing a McCarthy role, Barry already does. Let Barkley do whatever he does and just start further back. then have the 10 hole filled with another player. Kone and move mirallas left or put cleverley when fit there. No reason we need to defensive sitters.

I'm not saying we necessarily need two defensive sitters either. But, this proposed change would ask more of Barkley defensively. And, so far this season, he's been nothing but a liability defensively. He's also been losing the ball with telegraphed and lazily hit passes lately. Having him do that further up the pitch at least gives us time to regroup. Having him lose it in our half and then lackadaisically "defend" afterwards would open us up to all kinds of shit that we don't need.

I'm not one of these moan-and-groan-at-Barkley types, but I have been seeing an increase in his laziness on the pitch as the season has gone on. Again, maybe giving him more responsibility is exactly what he needs to get his shit together. But, I'm hesitant to support that idea based on what he's been showing as of late. I've generally supported the idea of playing him in a floating box-to-box role in the past, but he's been showing nothing but stubbornness, hubris, and disinterestedness as of late. He only comes to life once the ball finds him (he's not finding it) and, even then, his brain is moving at a snail's pace.

Maybe the best thing for him would be a fit Cleverley to take over his position for a game or two and light a fire under his ass.

I'm in complete agreement with you Joe. If we want a more attacking option to replace McCarthy it's Cleverley or Gibson for me. I only think Barkley should be pushed back if we're chasing a goal later on in a game.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...