IGNORED

Gareth Barry

If you look at colemans goal, you'll see we had 3 in the box for the cross, without McCarthy in the area that CB picks up Coleman and we don't get a free header, that's the difference, if McCarthy can provide that role week in week out he can be our link with gana.

That huge gap I was talking about in the United game wasn't there tonight as McCarthy filled it with his running. Gana played slightly behind McCarthy from I could see and it worked. It was just a great display and it highlighted that maybe Barry needs dropping.

You're right MC, Barry and the pressing game don't work. Guess I was wrong about McCarthy, he stilll has it in him.

That huge gap I was talking about in the United game wasn't there tonight as McCarthy filled it with his running. Gana played slightly behind McCarthy from I could see and it worked. It was just a great display and it highlighted that maybe Barry needs dropping.

Good shout to be fair this mate. Think you're on the money with this one.

fair play - not allowing previous dislike of McCarthy to cloud opinion.

Much improved I thought. good to see him back to something like his old self.

We need to start getting involved with the other team - square ups the lot. It brings out our nasty side.

Hopefully McCarthy can keep it up. Shades of his first season for us in last night's display. Like Dean said, you'd think his pressing style would be exactly what Koeman would want -- it was just a matter of fighting through the injuries (knock on wood he stays healthy).

Barry has been great, but his legs have been going for a long time now.

You're right MC, Barry and the pressing game don't work. Guess I was wrong about McCarthy, he stilll has it in him.

Based on some of his performances it was easy to think that. I think Koeman has delibrately protected him because he actually looked fit in that game, like 1st season McCarthy again. If he can keep up those standards, he and Gana would be a force, with Besic to come, Barry if needed and any potential signings - I think we'd be set for midfield.

Edited by Matt

fair play - not allowing previous dislike of McCarthy to cloud opinion.

Much improved I thought. good to see him back to something like his old self.

We need to start getting involved with the other team - square ups the lot. It brings out our nasty side.

McCarthy brought that in the first minute :lol:

Based on some of his performances it was easy to think that. I think Koeman has delibrately protected him because he actually looked fit in that game, like 1st season McCarthy again. If he can keep up those standards, he and Gana would be a force, with Besic to come, Barry if needed and any potential signings - I think we'd be set for midfield.

I hold out very little hope that Besic will ever come good. I think this will be Barry's last season too especially if the Schneiderlin reports are true.

Besic is done, he's spent more time on the injury table than on the pitch. It's a shame because I liked the lad but we need to offload our crock.

Think fans have held out hope for him because he pounds his chest and puts in tough tackles, but I don't think he's good enough to make an impact here and he's never healthy.

Confirmed - cause of the problems in midfield. No legs.

Yeah I was going to mention that. As soon as he come on in the second half the game went past us. I know Barry is a great player, but in what scenarios is he even beneficial? Liverpool is a fast playing team so I guess they're a standard of speed and perhaps not everyone can and will play that way against us. He offered nothing.

I agree with you on this. In the past, though, you've been dismissive of McCarthy? Do you still feel that way?

McCarthy has been a breath of fresh air since he came in. It's highlighted so much that Barry is causing us major problems in there but keeps getting picked. He needs dropping! Another contract signed. Awful if you ask me.

Didn't play to his strengths, and not helped by Barkley not being at the races.

Barkley plaid well, but he is not a holding or defensive midfielder, and once McCarthy went off we lost drive, mobility and defensive cover in midfield. The keeper getting injured robbed us of the chance to replace a tiring Valencia and Lennon.

Barry was not mobile enough to offer cover and we lost the midfield, git pushed back and lost the match. He has been a great servant to us but when we get a replacement we will be allot better off.

• 6 months later...