IGNORED

Gareth Barry

Barry will turn 36 in February, As of now, his contract expires next June.

If he has a really good season -- say, one of our top 3 players in 2016-17 -- should he be offered, and would he accept, a 2-year extension?

I'd offer a rolling 12 month contract rather than a 2 year deal.

i remember reading his wife has horses and they have a lot of land in manchester or whereabouts. i don't think the US would be his style, i think a 2 year deal would be fine. if he's playing this well this year he should the next and that last year maybe bench/cup player depending on form/fitness.

He lives down the road from me ;) (true)

see how things are. He may fancy a year over in the U.S which he would be entitled to. Has to be right for both parties. What a top career the lad has had. Reminds me of how Gary Speed conducted himself - a legend of the game, RIP.

Didnt realise it when i typed this but Gary Speed would have been 47 today. Thoughts with his family.

No way should he be given a 2 year contract he would be 38 then.

We should keep him this season then replace him with a younger model let him have a year in the US if that's what he wants.

Well I think if he is proving to be good enough and still adding value to the team, you keep him on a year at a time.

I think he's at an age where a 2 year extension is too much, although I'm sure that's what he'll be asking for.

No way should he be given a 2 year contract he would be 38 then.

We should keep him this season then replace him with a younger model let him have a year in the US if that's what he wants.

Pretty much my thoughts.

Its all very well saying hes never needed pace etc... but whatever pace you did have goes. They said the same about beckham but once father time catches up then its best going before being told to go.

We dont want another peter reid scenario. Hes been too good a player. Lets enjoy him this season and see where that takes him. I think we can trust him to do the right thing by the club. What a great signing by roberto by the way....

Lets remind ourselves of the qualities he had that made Liverpool want to get him at all costs from Villa.

• Great left foot
  • Disciplined and consistent
  • Great leader
  • Breaks up play well and is tactically astute

Yes, he has no pace - but he never has. For me he puts Osman on the bench, he gives McCarthy and Barkley an experienced mentor.

We are getting a quality midfielder here that many would have missed the trick on. Remember what Gary Mac did for Liverpool.

I think Barry will be the player we wished Neville was in the midfield.

I'm pretty certain this will be an inspired signing for us.

600th Premier league appearance this weekend - above is my thoughts/hopes when we signed him and he hasn't let me down.

The lad can look back along with the likes of Scholes and rue an England set up that tried to accommodate two glory players who never complimented each other.

But.... he has probably as much respect as any player plying their trade in the league this current day.

Enjoy your 600th appearance GazBaz.... a credit to the game.

• 1 month later...

Barry has been reasonably good for us this season but he looked about a thousand years old against Chelsea. I know he's never done this in his entire career, but I'd offer him another one year deal and have him as just a squad player - someone who's always on the bench and can come on slow down the tempo and control play when we're trying to close out wins against smaller clubs.

• 1 month later...