IGNORED

Gareth Barry

http://www.skysports.com/transfer/news/11096/10135626/nemanja-matic-from-midfield-monster-to-chelsea-misfit

Player Team Errors leading to shots Gareth Barry Everton 6 Craig Dawson West Brom 5 Nemanja Matic Chelsea 4 Seamus Coleman Everton 4

Hadn't realised that about Barry, very surprised!

His team mates say he always makes himself an option so Barry is probably played into danger more than others. We play everything through him as well, and our CBs come forward so if he's closed down there is a good chance it will lead to an attack. Edited by pete0

His team mates say he always makes himself an option so Barry is probably played into danger more than others. We play everything through him as well, and our CBs come forward so if he's closed down there is a good chance it will lead to an attack.

This I think? The Coleman one is worrying.

Still think GazBaz is up there with Lukaku as our current Player Of The Season.

Defensive midfield is where you are most often vulnerable, generally. In our team, they are the outlet for the defense and transition our play. It's a dangerous place to play. These things will happen. But, I would rather play with the ball than lump it and chase it all day.

good point. also it doesn't clarify shots on target. so these could simply be 30 yards out firign it into the stands.

This I think? The Coleman one is worrying.

Still think GazBaz is up there with Lukaku as our current Player Of The Season.

He's been outstanding. I can't believe the difference from last season. I thought we got the best out of him in the first year and it was time to write him off looking at the second were he was a yard off the boil.

• 3 months later...

Well deserved.

But...

How can it be that a club like Everton are dependant on a 35 year old defensive midfielder?

I agree with what you're all saying. Very well deserved.

This is a question that certainly needs addressing though, surely it cannot be sustained for much longer?

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing how he manged to get back to his best, I thought he was ready for retirement on last year's showing. Happy to be vaulted for that opinion.

I think many thought the same tbh Pete me included but as you say he's done a great job of getting back to his earlier form

Fully deserved and a great pro just wish he wasn't so long in the tooth

Edited by EFC-Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The best thing about Koeman coming in is him getting rid of JMc from central midfield. Barry has always been the better of the two but as a pair they were particularly shite. Spotted it from day one!

They weren't shite together from day one though as they were brilliant together for the first season.

The best thing about Koeman coming in is him getting rid of JMc from central midfield. Barry has always been the better of the two but as a pair they were particularly shite. Spotted it from day one!

Before mccarthy got his hamstrings screwed month after month 3 times in a row early in the second season the pair were immense together.

Mccarthy hasn't looked right since. But that doesnt take away McCarthy's quality in his first season here.