IGNORED

Gareth Barry

Before mccarthy got his hamstrings screwed month after month 3 times in a row early in the second season the pair were immense together.

Mccarthy hasn't looked right since. But that doesnt take away McCarthy's quality in his first season here.

I've always thought he was crap. Nothing's changed for me. His game is still the one dimensional sideways Jockey. Always has been. This hamstring malarkey is an excuse for those who raved about him. Average player at best. Koeman knows this. He's now a squaddie. Not a £30m+ man ha

You've always harped on about him being crap. That's your opinion - entitled to that of course.

For me his first season here he did an awesome job - breaking up play, giving it easy, keeping shape. He was like Peter Reid and that's not an exaggeration.

Did I want him to blast in rockets from 25 yards, play cute little through balls, go on mazy dribbles? Sure but that's not his game. It won't be gueyes game either, he will do what mccarthy did for us. Loads of energy, mobility, bite.

I've always thought he was crap. Nothing's changed for me. His game is still the one dimensional sideways Jockey. Always has been. This hamstring malarkey is an excuse for those who raved about him. Average player at best. Koeman knows this. He's now a squaddie. Not a £30m+ man ha

there was a massive change after the injuries, you've just not liked him so refuse to see any good he did. Don't worry, it seems to be contagious around here so it's not really your fault

Unfortunately you suffer from both ;)

No Matt - I think you will find I counter the ridiculous hyperbole of "No - his touch isn't that bad, its really improved" "He's not lazy, he just doesn't get service" "he's not disrespectful - he's ambitious"..... with counter criticisms that really do question the daft loyalty towards a player who just ain't that good and certainly isn't a blue.

as I've said before its Newtons third law - I can accept that I'm the most overly critical of Lukaku.... its a required extreme given the daft hype and excuses the lad gets.

Back to the barry/mccarthy thread - which is what it was before you did some badger baiting. Tired today?

No Matt - I think you will find I counter the ridiculous hyperbole of "No - his touch isn't that bad, its really improved" "He's not lazy, he just doesn't get service" "he's not disrespectful - he's ambitious"..... with counter criticisms that really do question the daft loyalty towards a player who just ain't that good and certainly isn't a blue.

as I've said before its Newtons third law - I can accept that I'm the most overly critical of Lukaku.... its a required extreme given the daft hype and excuses the lad gets.

Back to the barry/mccarthy thread - which is what it was before you did some badger baiting. Tired today?

and overly protective of Kone, just as an example, hence in both camps ;)

and overly protective of Kone, just as an example, hence in both camps ;)

wasn't overly protective of him - I championed the case of getting off his back till he had played at least 10 games. I made it clear he had to go after seeing him struggle in games and not being able to train etc. That's what you call balance.

I guess that is better than slating him just cos he came from a relegated side costing £6m which was the theme of the forum. Ironically £1m cheaper than the relegated Idrissa Gueye who a few were dubious about

Read back to the early posts about Lukaku - I was spot on in my very early match opinions. Raw, athletic, lazy, poor touch, goalscorer.... but I never said the dice was cast till about 15 games later. Yet I still gave leeway for him to prove me wrong.

yeh, ok :lol:

on one today Matthew?

feel free to demonstrate where I was overly protective of Kone? - maybe the fact that I tend to "give players a chance" before slating them doesn't fit in with some people on the forum when its the likes of Naismith, McGeady, Kone, Alcaraz, Barry, McCarthy, Cleverley...... just don't slate Romelu Lukaku, even if you have given him a good few months before stating that "he's technically poor, lazy, with a bad attitude". He has been good enough to sign for little old Everton when he could have been playing for another club who didn't cough up the £28m that we did.

Overly protective of a player or just not subscribing to elitist trashing of less "hyped" names whilst the blue eyed boys get to do and say what they want?

I mean lets be honest - you were eager to state that the upturn in our performance on Saturday be down to Lukaku's contribution and not necessarily the fact that Koeman changed the shape... talk about looking for the player and not the system.

Even with all the talk of John Stones and Lamina Kone and their transfer goings on - you have been trying to make parallels/excuses for Roms behaviour from March till the Euros....

Now that's called being overly protective....

Nope, just enjoying the hypocrisy and double-standards :)

You know full well I'm not going to hunt through the pages where you defended Kone to the death. You also seem to have forgotten, I was in agreement with you for quite a while on Koné until he finished the end of the 2014/15 season (I think) and proved how poor he actually was. We had a debate about him then too, remember that one? I held my hands up and admitted I'd be wrong but damned if you were even though we were using the same arguments to protect him? Remember the "better footballer", "great control", "really strong" etc. quotes? He was shit but you defended him because of these 'tinted glasses' of which you speak.

I've also never said don't slate Rom, but have said if you're going to at least give equal recognition to him for doing something well and equally trash the players who fuck up in order to have some kind of balance. But you never do, and trying to say you're doing to counter the "over the top" praise/defence of him... You do know that it's chicken and the egg here right?

I don't remember slating Naismith or Alcaraz, and remember sticking up for them too. Barry I've always been a fan of, same with McCarthy. The only one I didn't believe was the player Messi spoke about as being "one of the best" and another you defended to the death but refused to admit you'd got it wrong.

As for not concentrating on the tactical change, I guess you missed my first comment on the change:

At least he's not afraid of mixing things up

Or the following where I gave credit to Rom and the tactical change
(acknowledging Roms impact)

only 1 half, he was shite before Rom came on

Oh Ross... Great cross from Bolasie

(acknowledging the tactical switch)

50/50 for me. Not the sole reason but the defenders seem more preoccupied with marking Rom than Geri.

So, let's be honest as you say, you're way off base here.
I've said enough is enough with regards to his antics of late, if you've seen parallels then I'm guessing you want to see them - except for the one or two times I was bored and got you to bite, those I concede, but they were never to excuse him, they were for a completely different reason ;)
Edited by Matt

Nope, just enjoying the hypocrisy and double-standards :)

You know full well I'm not going to hunt through the pages where you defended Kone to the death. You also seem to have forgotten, I was in agreement with you for quite a while on Koné until he finished the end of the 2014/15 season (I think) and proved how poor he actually was. We had a debate about him then too, remember that one? I held my hands up and admitted I'd be wrong but damned if you were even though we were using the same arguments to protect him? Remember the "better footballer", "great control", "really strong" etc. quotes? He was shit but you defended him because of these 'tinted glasses' of which you speak.

I've also never said don't slate Rom, but have said if you're going to at least give equal recognition to him for doing something well and equally trash the players who fuck up in order to have some kind of balance. But you never do, and trying to say you're doing to counter the "over the top" praise/defence of him... You do know that it's chicken and the egg here right?

I don't remember slating Naismith or Alcaraz, and remember sticking up for them too. Barry I've always been a fan of, same with McCarthy. The only one I didn't believe was the player Messi spoke about as being "one of the best" and another you defended to the death but refused to admit you'd got it wrong.

As for not concentrating on the tactical change, I guess you missed my first comment on the change:

Or the following where I gave credit to Rom and the tactical change
(acknowledging Roms impact)

(acknowledging the tactical switch)

So, let's be honest as you say, you're way off base here.
I've said enough is enough with regards to his antics of late, if you've seen parallels then I'm guessing you want to see them - except for the one or two times I was bored and got you to bite, those I concede, but they were never to excuse him, they were for a completely different reason ;)

I've never said it was "you" who slated those aforementioned players... so not sure why you are defending yourself there, I'm stating the culture of the forum where players are prejudged quite a lot.

I have been generous in praise to Rom "when" he has deserved it. There have been exceptional games he has played and I have waxed lyrical as to why he was so good.... not just because of goals (which seems to be the only currency some judge him by).

If anything I was more glowing in praise for him in games where he wasn't prolific or indeed didn't score. Liverpool where he did score, Man City where de didn't score. But do not expect me to stay silent in games like Bournemouth away where he actually scored 2 in the second half - it was the most horrifically disgraceful first half I have seen from an Everton striker, complete and utter disgrace is what I called it at the time and I still recall now.

Players like Adebuyor and Ballotelli would have been jettisoned for some performances that Lukaku threw in - but he has had fans and a manager that indulged his entitled ways. Part of me think they deserved that player.

I've never been kidded by a player who uses the odd goal here and there to cover the cracks of a poor team performer. As it stands he hasn't scored 1 goal in his last 15 prem games for us.... fancy that eh.

You fancied a little ding dong to satisfy your boredom/grumpiness so there you got one "I bit" - personally I'm a bit gutted that no one coughed up the £60m - I'm bored of the lad, he's a groundhog day footballer who will not change.... false dawn after false dawn till he gets to the age that potential is no longer a word and he finds himself playing out a 5 year deal in China or Turkey.

I've never said it was "you" who slated those aforementioned players... so not sure why you are defending yourself there, I'm stating the culture of the forum where players are prejudged quite a lot.

I have been generous in praise to Rom "when" he has deserved it. There have been exceptional games he has played and I have waxed lyrical as to why he was so good.... not just because of goals (which seems to be the only currency some judge him by).

If anything I was more glowing in praise for him in games where he wasn't prolific or indeed didn't score. Liverpool where he did score, Man City where de didn't score. But do not expect me to stay silent in games like Bournemouth away where he actually scored 2 in the second half - it was the most horrifically disgraceful first half I have seen from an Everton striker, complete and utter disgrace is what I called it at the time and I still recall now.

Players like Adebuyor and Ballotelli would have been jettisoned for some performances that Lukaku threw in - but he has had fans and a manager that indulged his entitled ways. Part of me think they deserved that player.

I've never been kidded by a player who uses the odd goal here and there to cover the cracks of a poor team performer. As it stands he hasn't scored 1 goal in his last 15 prem games for us.... fancy that eh.

You fancied a little ding dong to satisfy your boredom/grumpiness so there you got one "I bit" - personally I'm a bit gutted that no one coughed up the £60m - I'm bored of the lad, he's a groundhog day footballer who will not change.... false dawn after false dawn till he gets to the age that potential is no longer a word and he finds himself playing out a 5 year deal in China or Turkey.

Because you were quoting and responding to me. If not intended that way, fair enough.

And to be honest, I was only messing with you at first. Naughty I know, because I knew it would've spiralled, so apologies (to all) for that.

Personally, I'd say that the reaction to Lukaku consistently outweighs his action. We're pretty good at conforming to the second law of thermodynamics, though: No matter what the discussion, it always becomes more chaotic. And for Gareth Barry to cover the ground he does in each game, the first law of thermodynamics implies he eats three shredded wheat for breakfast.

Edited by Cornish Steve

Personally, I'd say that the reaction to Lukaku consistently outweighs his action. We're pretty good at conforming to the second law of thermodynamics, though: No matter what the discussion, it always becomes more chaotic. And for Gareth Barry to cover the ground he does in each game, the first law of thermodynamics implies he eats three shredded wheat for breakfast.

3? Amateur.

I don't like Shredded Wheat.

Edited by Lowensda